Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:42:29 AM
715658 Posts in 53150 Topics by 7766 Members
Latest Member: Epiphonecbc
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gaza « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Gaza  (Read 6891 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 11:24:29 PM »

trying to say whether Israelis or Palestinians were there first is like trying to say whther the chicken or the egg came first. both sides are comprised of people who have roots from there and also other places.

https://aldeilis.net/english/the-founding-of-jerusalem/

Jerusalem is one of the oldest cities in the world. According to Josephus who wrote in the first century of our era, it was founded by the Canaanites. Josephus wrote:

But he who first built it [Jerusalem] was a potent man among the Canaanites, and is in our tongue called Melchisedek, The Righteous King, for such he really was; on which account he was (there) the first priest of God, and first built a temple (there), and called the city Jerusalem, which was formerly called Salem.

As Melchisedek was a contemporary of Abraham (Genesis 14:18), this would date the founding of Jerusalem in the eighteenth century BC. Hence, the city was in existence several centuries before the arrival of the Israelites in the land of Canaan. In fact, the Jewish Encyclopedia mentions that in Hebrew annals ‘Jerusalem is expressly called a "foreign city" not belonging to the Israelites (Judges 19:12), and the Jebusites are said to have lived there for very many years together with the Benjarnites.

Jerusalem was inhabited by the Jebusites, a Canaanite subgroup. It was one of the oldest and most illustrious royal cities in the land of Canaan and for some 800 years it remained a Canaanite city. Around 1000 BC it was captured by David. It should be noted, however, that when David captured the city, he did not displace its original inhabitants allowing them to remain in their city, but not in the fortress.  The continued existence of the Canaanites in Jerusalem, which became the capital of the new Jewish kingdom that was established by David, is confirmed by the Bible which refers to the people whom Israel was not able to destroy and upon whom David’s son, Solomon, levied a tribute of bondservice (1 Kings 9:20-1).
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2021, 11:31:28 PM »

^ That doesn't mean a goddam thing to most folks.
I'ts putting a whole group of people without a country.
 Modern Israel is  a large area that was given to fugitive displaced Jewish folks after WW2 . Except it displaced the Arabs who already lived there. In the long run all they had left was Gaza.

Bluesad
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:40:50 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2021, 11:49:01 PM »

In many ways- Zelmo is right. It is exactly what Europeans did to the American Indians- and anybody else who got in their way.
Doesn't make it less evil.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 11:49:49 PM »

^ That doesn't mean a goddam thing to most folks.
I'ts putting a whole group of people without a country.
 Modern Israel is  a large area that was given to fugitive displaced Jewish folks after WW2 . Except it displaced the Arabs who already lived there. In the long run all they had left was Gaza.

Bluesad

You're not wrong but don't dismiss informed remarks so readily.  Lester's remarks are solid.  The only member I'd like to hear from is Indiana.  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 11:59:40 PM »

It's like As the World Turns...we have so much knowledge- but we spin in circles so fast. Like an overloaded washing machine.
Nothing ever really changes.
 What Lester wrote was well researched.  I'm not dismissing his thoughts at all. All I'm saying is that the folks getting bombed on both sides likely know nothing about all this. I don't think the people on the street are caring about ancient history.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:08:10 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2021, 01:48:04 AM »

It's like As the World Turns...we have so much knowledge- but we spin in circles so fast. Like an overloaded washing machine.
 What Lester wrote was well researched.  I'm not dismissing his thoughts at all.
All I'm saying is that the folks getting bombed on both sides likely know nothing about all this. I don't think the people on the street are caring about ancient history...

The people being bombed know all about it.  Get your head out of your ass... The reason they bomb each other is ancient history.   

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 01:58:31 AM »

^ I'm not going to get into all of this. I don't profess to be any kind of expert on any of this .
I'm done here.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »

rc- its an important aspect of the conflict and of course people on both sides are aware of it.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »

All I'm saying is that the folks getting bombed on both sides likely know nothing about all this. I don't think the people on the street are caring about ancient history...

The people being bombed know all about it.  Get your head out of your ass... The reason they bomb each other is ancient history.  

Then it's even more senseless.
So it's like a 60's Star Trek episode where 2 planets have been fighting for so long they don't even remember what they are at war about?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 11:46:17 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2021, 12:17:51 PM »

The people being bombed know all about it.  Get your head out of your ass... The reason they bomb each other is ancient history.  

Then it's even more senseless.
So it's like a 60's Star Trek episode where 2 planets have been fighting for so long they don't even remember what they are at war about?

I don't think anyone would argue that it is NOT senseless. 

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2021, 05:17:37 PM »

I'm a strong defender of Israel in general, however the current government has gotten so used to having the US back it up every time there is a conflict that they have started acting like bullies.  The best thing would be for both countries to reject the extremists who are in power and elect more moderate leadership that would genuinely work for peace (that would mean getting rid of Hamas and Likud), but given the ongoing cycle of attack, overreaction, uneasy peace, grievance nursing, provocation, and then repeat, such a turn of events is highly unlikely.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2021, 09:16:18 PM »

I'm a strong defender of Israel in general, however the current government has gotten so used to having the US back it up every time there is a conflict that they have started acting like bullies.  The best thing would be for both countries to reject the extremists who are in power and elect more moderate leadership that would genuinely work for peace (that would mean getting rid of Hamas and Likud), but given the ongoing cycle of attack, overreaction, uneasy peace, grievance nursing, provocation, and then repeat, such a turn of events is highly unlikely.

What did you think of Lester's remarks? 

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2021, 09:17:54 PM »

Everything I saw there was accurate in its citation of both Biblical and ancient sources.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2021, 10:36:52 PM »

btw the source is henry Cattan, a Palestinian Christian

Its still incredible that this whole thing evolved out of one woman being evicted from her home and confronting the new owner. this is something that would be decided by Judge Judy here. really a testament to how combustible and dysfunctional the situation there is.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 12:48:52 PM »

I think that incident was one of several triggers this time, but yeah.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gaza « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.