Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:48:16 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  25 nostalgic things you remember from a specific year or decade! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20
Author Topic: 25 nostalgic things you remember from a specific year or decade!  (Read 35605 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2023, 05:10:34 AM »

Basket Case! Whoohoo!

Some of the greatest opening lyrics.. "Do you have the time.. to listen to me whine?"

15. Acclaimed TV movie THE STAND airs.  My friend was amused at the mentally handicapped character played by Dauber from COACH.  "M-O-O-N!  That spells 'truck'!"
16. Notable players in the 1994 NBA Draft: #1 Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson (Bucks), #2 Jason Kidd (Mavs), #3 Grant Hill (Pistons), #5 Juwan Howard (Bullets), and #10 Eddie Jones (Lakers).
17. Dan Wilkinson is picked #1 in the NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals.  Though he wasn't bad at all he never made the Pro Bowl, which is kind of disappointing for a #1 pick.  Other notable picks are Marshall Faulk to the Colts at #2, Bryant Young to the 49ers at #7, Isaac Bruce to the Rams at #33, Kevin Mawae to the Seahawks at #36, Larry Allen to the Cowboys at #46, and the undrafted Kurt Warner to Green Bay.
18. Comic actor John Candy dies while filming WAGONS EAST in New Mexico.
19. Actor Raul Julia barely completes the film STREET FIGHTER before succumbing to the effects of an illness and stroke.
20. My Buffalo Bills miss the playoffs for the first time in 7 years (1994 season).  MASSIVE disappointment for a team that reached the Super Bowl the previous 4 years.
21. The hometown Portland Trailblazers faced off against the eventual NBA champs.  Even though Clyde Drexler was still great and Rod Strickland was fantastic, they were no match and fell 3 games to 1 in the first round.  I had to tip my hat to (H)Akeem Olajuwon; man, was he great.
22. 1994 commercials:
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

23. The San Fernando Valley is hit by a 6.7 earthquake.  The quake is even felt in Nevada and near Mexico.  57 die.
24. A new outbreak of the Ebola virus begins in Zaire.
25. I think our long-running infestation of elm beetles in my ceiling was finally eradicated by a visit from an exterminator.  They came off of the neighbor's holly tree and got in through the roof into my bedroom.  They would find their way through the cracks and fly around the light bulb, smacking into it with an audible "tink".  They did have parts for biting and I guess got my sisters in the past, but never bit me.  I did find them very annoying.  We didn't really have much money to afford home improvements.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
retrorussell

« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2023, 06:44:16 AM »

One more of 1992:
One of the greatest sports commercials ever!
Charles Barkley in THE BARKLEY OF SEVILLE

Damn hilarious!

And one more 1994:
Nancy Kerrigan's knee heals enough to win the Silver medal in the Lilehammer Winter Olympics.  Afterward at Disney World parade she is reportedly caught saying "This is dumb. I hate it. This is the corniest thing I have ever done."

Mo' 1995:
1. The LA Rams move to St. Louis!
2. Owner Art Modell royally screws the Cleveland Browns fans over with the announcement that they will move the franchise to Baltimore and re-name them the Ravens for the 1996 season.
3. Ki-Jana Carter is picked by the Bengals at #1 in the NFL Draft and is a massive bust (injuries didn't help).  More notable players include Tony Boselli at #2 (Jaguars), Steve McNair at #3 (Oilers), Kerry Collins at #5 (Panthers), Warren Sapp at #12 (Bucs), Ruben Brown at #14 (Bills), Ty Law at #23 (Pats), Derrick Brooks at #28 (Bucs), Curtis Martin at #74 (Pats), Antonio Freeman at #90 (Packers), and Terrell Davis at #196 (Broncos).
4. The LA Raiders move back to Oakland.
5. Michael Jordan returns to the Chicago Bulls!  Returning in March, he leads the Bulls back to the playoffs.  But they are dispatched in the 2nd round in 6 games by Shaquille O'Neal/Penny Hardaway and the Orlando Magic.
6. Oh boy.. speaking of Penny Hardaway, the big thing in Nike commercials was a marionette called "Lil' Penny", voiced by Chris Rock.  Annoying!

7. The UPN network launches!

8. Speaking of UPN, two of the earlier shows for the (short lived) network were DRAGON BALL and SAILOR MOON.  I was in my mid-20s, working at the Fred Meyer department store in the Burlingame district of Portland, and watched the hell out of them in the morning at work!  What can I say; I was crazy about anime.
9. Sometimes my friend would have me stay over at his house which was just a handful of blocks from work. We loved to rent weird/bad movies and on occasion his older brother would come up from Malibu and join us.
10. More bad movies: THE SCARLET LETTER, JUDGE DREDD, CONGO, STUART SAVES HIS FAMILY, HALLOWEEN: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MEYERS, JURY DUTY, A KID IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT, A VAMPIRE IN BROOKLYN, FAIR GAME, JOHNNY MNEMONIC (I used to call this "Johnny Bubonic"), HIDEAWAY, HOUSEGUEST, THE MANGLER, MONEY TRAIN, JUST CAUSE, 9 MONTHS, and DANGEROUS MINDS.
11. I kind of liked John Carpenter's remake of VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED.

12. When Clyde Drexler was traded I remember seeing the news at the Cider Mill bar (which was connected to the outstanding chicken restaurant FRYER TUCK'S in Portland by where my sister lived with her POS husband), and seeing we got Otis Thorpe, Marcelo Nicola and a 1st round pick.  Bleck...  It was definitely the end of an era.. though we would bounce back by the end of the decade.
13. I bought the cool NBA LIVE 96 for my Sega Genesis.  I would make sure to turn off all violations and slam into the opponents to force the ball out of their hands.  I wasn't a big fan of the 3/4 perspective but I still enjoyed it.
More to come..

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
retrorussell

« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2023, 04:46:46 AM »

14. Also got the awesome NHL 96 for my Sega Genesis.  My brother and I played this all the time-- super fast one-timers were finally available for the series.  Whenever we scored on one we'd high five each other.  Plus, the create-a-player mode was a hell of a lot of fun!  Especially with a lot of letters you could use for their name, resulting in some hilariously dirty names in my case.
15. Product debuts: BLUE MOON BEER, FRAPPUCCINO, UNCLE RAY'S snack line.
16. Video game system SEGA SATURN debuts!  Though its success was limited at the time it has since gone on to belated popularity from collectors. 

17. Also, the SEGA 32X add-on is released.

18. Landmark song GANGSTA'S PARADISE by Coolio is released.
19. Great video games: CLOCK TOWER (Super Famicom), CHRONO TRIGGER (SNES), COMMAND & CONQUER (PC), PHANTASMAGORIA (PC), COMIX ZONE (Genesis), MEGA MAN 7 (SNES), TALES OF PHANTASIA (PSX), RAYMAN (multiple consoles), CASTLEVANIA DRACULA X (SNES), and SOUL BLADE (PSX).
20. 1995 commercials:

21. Oregon Senator Bob Packwood faces allegations of sexual assault/abuse by 19 women.  This had consisted of several events over the course of more than 2 years.  He admits to the charges and resigns later that year.
22. Influential Japanese horror film THE RING/RINGU is released.
23. My friend and I rented the very good CITIZEN X, based on Russian serial killer Andrei Chikatilo.  Stephen Rea, Donald Sutherland and Max Von Sydow are in it!
24. Anime series debuting: NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, SLAYERS, GOLDENBOY, GHOST IN THE SHELL, EL HAZARD, and FUSHIGI YUUGI.
25. My Portland Trailblazers move from the fairly small confines of the old Memorial Coliseum to the ritzy new ROSE GARDEN!  They christen their new digs with a crappy loss to the crappy Vancouver Grizzlies.
Bonus:
A whopping 9 years after the Blazers drafted him, Lithuanian legend ARVYDAS SABONIS finally gets to play basketball for us!  Despite injuries robbing him of much of his effectiveness (he was an absolute legend when he played in Russia/Europe) he still possessed ridiculous touch, court vision and IQ.  His passing was the greatest for any center who ever lived.  A very humble and quiet guy, he did have quite the roar when trying to draw foul calls.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2023, 08:49:05 PM »

Early 1981. I was two and got stuck face-up under a sofa I'd slid beneath. it was so terrifying I still remember it. I screamed and my dad and grandpa lifted it up off me. Never did it again. My earliest absolutely confirmable memory.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
retrorussell

« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »

Before re-revisiting 1996:
One more 1995:
This is the first song I think of when I think of the year 1995:
COTTON EYE JOE- Rednex
I remember first hearing it during an NHL exhibition game played in Japan-- wonder what the Japanese thought of that song?

1996:
1. While we were at the '96 Olympics in Atlanta we collected these Olympic Coca-Cola cups (also visited the Atlanta Coke plant):

I think they each had a different sport (like 23 cups in all) and a cool hologram.
2. One of the Olympics' most enduing images (if not THE) was Kerri Strug winning the Gold in Gymnastics, despite spraining her ankle and working through incredible pain.

3. My first brush with live cockroaches!  We stayed at a hotel for a day and they were fortunately just the small variety and not very many.  Still.. anything that has really long legs/feelers and moves at the speed of light when it notices you gets me squeamish for a bit before I come to my senses and try to mush it.
4. I remember shortly after my grandma died and I moved into her house for a while, my stepmom asked me to find her glasses-- she had a heart attack and fell into a pit by the cellar.  A co-worker who dropped me back home helped me find them.  Kind of morbid request but understandably necessary.  My cousin Debbie was so high at the funeral and made such a scene that the rest of us were quietly seething.  The only open-casket funeral I'd been to.. creepy.
5. My friend and I hung out every weekend or more.  He was a bad alcoholic and spent too much of his paycheck on booze-- but at least he loved bad movies like I did (and was pretty much my only friend).  He had a mom & pop video store a couple miles from his house and we'd find all sorts of weird VHS's there.  They had a giant bubble gumball dispenser and some of the gumballs had little slips of paper that gave you a free rental.  Cool!
6. I know those gumball machine NFL mini helmets came out way before the 90s initially but they got popular again.  I was collecting them like mad in the mid 90s though I never got all of them.

7. Bad movies: BARB WIRE, BIO DOME, LAWNMOWER MAN 2, BIG BULLY, ED, MR. WRONG, EYE FOR AN EYE, CELTIC PRIDE, DIABOLIQUE, DOWN PERISCOPE, THE QUEST, EDDIE, BLACK SHEEP.
8. The yummy ARCH DELUXE debuts at Mc Donald's!

9. Also, BAWLS energy drink, FEBREZE, FRENCH TOAST CRUNCH, TAMAGOTCHI and TICKLE ME ELMO.
10. The annoying Celine Dion song (which of hers ISN'T annoying?) is released: IT'S ALL COMING BACK TO ME NOW.  Puke!
11. The USA hockey team beats Canada with a massive onslaught late in the deciding game in the World Cup!  I watched this from work in the break room just before my shift started.  Portland's own Adam Deadmarsh (of WHL's Portland Winterhawks) gets the final goal!

More later...

retrorussell

« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2023, 02:56:51 AM »

12. Commercials!

13. Game debuts: SUPER MARIO 64, DUKE NUKEM 3D, CRASH BANDICOOT, STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2, NIGHTS INTO DREAMS, VIRTUA FIGHTER 3, QUAKE and also..
14. RESIDENT EVIL
That dog jumping through the window.. holy crap did that make me jump!

15. TOMB RAIDER
Boy howdy did I get a kick out of killing myself in video games.  Especially Lara Croft!  Take that, you polygon-boobed hussy!
16. The first season of Major League Soccer (MLS) debuts.
17. The cartoons HEY ARNOLD, SUPERMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES, SAMURAI PIZZA CATS and DEXTER'S LABORATORY debut.
18. TVLand debuts.
19. MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 ends its run on Comedy Central, signing with The Sci-Fi Channel the following year.
20. Nickelodeon show KENAN & KEL debuts.
21. BLUE'S CLUES debuts (he he!).
22. I was bummed that Jim Kelly's NFL career came to an end with an upset loss in round 1 of the NFL playoffs on Dec. 28 in Buffalo to the Jaguars.  Kelly had to miss the very end of the game as he got knocked out with an injury and Todd Collins had to replace him.  Kelly and coach Marv Levy would retire.  The Jaguars would go on to their Conference Championship, in only their 2nd year of existence, as did the Carolina Panthers!
23. There were some absolutely phenomenal Beavis and Butthead episodes this year.. like when they babysat for a woman and then just played with toys, let the baby fill its diaper and fell asleep in the crib; and when they got "drunk" off non-alcoholic beer; the prank call; and the one where they have to grow a plant for Mr. Van Drysen's class:

24. Shaquille O'Neal ditches the Orlando Magic and joins the LA Lakers.  He will go on to win 3 titles with them.
25. Kobe Bryant is selected at #13 out of high school by the Charlotte Hornets in the 1996 NBA Draft; the pick is traded to the Lakers.  Other luminaries drafted: ALLEN IVERSON (#1), STEPHON MARBURY (#4), RAY ALLEN (#5), ANTOINE WALKER (#6), STEVE NASH (#15), JERMAINE O'NEAL (#17), and the undrafted BEN WALLACE.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2023, 01:59:15 PM »

Not so nostalgic, just something I remember. When Martin Luther King got shot. Me and my Ma where in a station wagon in Wappinger Falls, in upstate NY, going to the store or some dumb s**t, and it cut off the song and annouced it. I didn't think about it much at the time.  I was 6 years old. But I remember my Ma screaming at the windshield- " THIS WORLD IS GOING TO HELL!"

She was crazy. The whole f**king world was crazy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 02:01:42 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
retrorussell

« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2023, 04:35:39 PM »

More 1997:
1. Went with my brother to a Blazers game-- what a great blowout!  We destroyed the Grizzlies by over 30 points.  We went back to my apartment and played some SOUL BLADE (Soul Edge in the arcades).  What a great game (though the polygon work is fairly laughable today).  That was the first time he'd seen MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL.
2. Got into the DVD swing of things with a single player.  I think it was a gold RCA or JVC.  Before my friend got his we'd rent DVDs on mine.  The first one we rented was the cheesy 70s horror flick EATEN ALIVE.  We loved using the special button features (one nude scene prompted us to use ZOOM on an actress' nipple), and being able to move one single frame forward clearly unlike VHS.  The 2nd DVD was an awful Lucio Fulci horror flick called THE NEW YORK RIPPER.  The first DVD I ever purchased.. might have been AIRPLANE.
3. The TELEVISION RATING SYSTEM goes into effect.
4. I bought FINAL FANTASY VII when it was brand new at work.  I got a free t-shirt with the purchase!  What a great game.. but the long cinematic cut-scenes I had to sit through threatened to make me late for work!  Since you could put in a lot of letters for each character's names, I of course had to make them dirty.. the hero Cloud Strife I re-named "P*ssyfart". :)
5. The Super Bowl between the Packers and Patriots is the first to be shown on FOX.
6. THE SIMPSONS surpasses THE FLINTSTONES as the longest-running cartoon ever.
7. Due to Vanna White's task of physically turning the trilons over while she was pregnant possibly causing her to miscarriage, the powers that be at WHEEL OF FORTUNE make the trilons touch-operated.
8. The cartoon/anime block TOONAMI debuts on Cartoon Network.
9. Ellen Degeneres comes out as homosexual on her show ELLEN, the first time a starring main character has done so on television.
10. Farah Fawcett's weird appearance on David Letterman:

More to come...

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2023, 04:36:43 PM »

More 1997:
1. Went with my brother to a Blazers game-- what a great blowout!  We destroyed the Grizzlies by over 30 points.  We went back to my apartment and played some SOUL BLADE (Soul Edge in the arcades).  What a great game (though the polygon work is fairly laughable today).  That was the first time he'd seen MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL.
2. Got into the DVD swing of things with a single player.  I think it was a gold RCA or JVC.  Before my friend got his we'd rent DVDs on mine.  The first one we rented was the cheesy 70s horror flick EATEN ALIVE.  We loved using the special button features (one nude scene prompted us to use ZOOM on an actress' nipple), and being able to move one single frame forward clearly unlike VHS.  The 2nd DVD was an awful Lucio Fulci horror flick called THE NEW YORK RIPPER.  The first DVD I ever purchased.. might have been AIRPLANE.
3. The TELEVISION RATING SYSTEM goes into effect.
4. I bought FINAL FANTASY VII when it was brand new at work.  I got a free t-shirt with the purchase!  What a great game.. but the long cinematic cut-scenes I had to sit through threatened to make me late for work!  Since you could put in a lot of letters for each character's names, I of course had to make them dirty.. the hero Cloud Strife I re-named "P*ssyfart". :)
5. The Super Bowl between the Packers and Patriots is the first to be shown on FOX.
6. THE SIMPSONS surpasses THE FLINTSTONES as the longest-running cartoon ever.
7. Due to Vanna White's task of physically turning the trilons over while she was pregnant possibly causing her to miscarriage, the powers that be at WHEEL OF FORTUNE make the trilons touch-operated.
8. The cartoon/anime block TOONAMI debuts on Cartoon Network.
9. Ellen Degeneres comes out as homosexual on her show ELLEN, the first time a starring main character has done so on television.
10. Farah Fawcett's weird appearance on David Letterman:
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
More to come...

1997, so near and yet so far.

retrorussell

« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2023, 01:35:27 AM »

One more 1996:
DANCING BABY viral CGI video!

11. Silly cartoon debut:

12. Former Borg "Seven Of Nine" (Jeri Ryan) makes her debut on STAR TREK: VOYAGER.
13. SNL member Chris Farley dies.
14. TNT/TBS airs A CHRISTMAS STORY for 24 hours straight on December 24 to December 25.
15. Deaths: ERNIE ANDERSON, EDWARD MULHARE, DAVID DOYLE, ALVY MOORE, RICHARD JAECKEL, JIMMY STEWART, CHARLES KURALT, BRANDON TARTIKOFF, BURGESS MEREDITH, RED SKELTON, AUDRA LYNDLEY, TOSHIRO MIFUNE, DON MESSICK, DENVER PYLE and as mentioned in a previous entry, PRINCESS DIANA.
16. Made for TV movie DON KING: ONLY IN AMERICA debuts, starring Ving Rhames as troll-haired boxing promoter Don King.
17. The awesome CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT is released for Playstation!  I still play this often, due to the ability to use glitches to add to your map percentage.  Plus, the moment you get the Crissaegrim sword, the world is yours for the taking!
18. GOLDENEYE 007 is released for Nintendo 64 and is a smash hit.
19. Others: STARFOX 64, TUROK: DINOSAUR HUNTER, ODDWORLD: ABE'S ODDYSSEY, POSTAL, AGE OF EMPIRES, FALLOUT, GRAN TURISMO and TEKKEN 3.
20. The Dual Shock game controller is released for the Playstation!
21. McDonald's MCFLURRY is released.
22. The high caffeine drink SURGE is released!

23. I went to see THE LOST WORLD in the theater.. and the part where the girl does an acrobatic kick on the raptor had me groaning out loud..

24. THE FULL MONTY brought back the song YOU SEXY THING to everybody's conscience.
25. General Manager of the Spurs Gregg Popovich fires coach Bob Hill and takes over the coaching duties.  He is still coaching the Spurs to this day.

retrorussell

« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2023, 06:51:08 AM »

I'd just like to polish off the 1990s while I'm at it.

But first, an oddity from 1984:
NFL commentator Reggie Rucker (former player) makes an odd claim on-air that he interviewed and had dinner with then Bengals coach Sam Wyche.  He never did!  His broadcasting career nosedives after Wyche tears into him, and he later admits the lie.  Multiple legal troubles would plague him in the years following.

And 1997:
The awesome arcade emulator-- still going strong (and I have used it since 1997)-- MAME is released!  It stands for "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator".  Oh, how I hated the MS-DOS command screen.. I was so thrilled to finally get frontends down the road.
Also, the first "Yo Quiero Taco Bell" commercials debut!
And there was a hilarious episode of Conan O'Brien where Courtney Thorne-Smith was promoting her upcoming movie CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD with Carrot Top, and fellow guest Norm MacDonald (rip) was mercilessly ragging on her for it!

1998:
1. Heh.. I remember seeing either a t-shirt or a poster of Monica Lewinsky with a "white moustache", reading NOT MILK (like the "Got Milk?" quote).
2. After Jordan retired from the Bulls (for a second time), Scottie Pippen also leaves, joining Charles Barkley and the Houston Rockets.  Deemed a strong possibility for Sir Charles to finally win a championship, the 2 superstars (along with Hakeem Olajuwon) unfortunately clash and the team fizzles with a first round loss to the Lakers.
3. Some great arcade games-- yeah, arcades were almost dead but some still stood out-- STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3, GAUNTLET LEGENDS, STAR WARS TRILOGY, HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2, DAYTONA USA 2, SOUL CALIBUR, SEGA RALLY 2, CALIFORNIA SPEED, GUNBIRD 2, TECH ROMANCER, BLAZING STAR, RAIDEN FIGHTERS JET, JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE, ARMED POLICE BATRIDER (!).
4. The ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS and TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS franchises are born.
5. The Milwaukee Brewers move from the American League to the National League.
6. Cal Ripken Jr. ends his consecutive games streak.
7. The NBA season is shortened to just 50 games due to a player lockout.  The postseason continues as normal, however.
8. MLB rookie pitcher Kerry Wood ties the record for most strikeouts in a game at 20!
9. Se-Ri Pak wins the LPGA Championship and Women's US Open golf titles.  I remember on Sportcenter the anchors singing "Say you.. Se-Ri.." (like a Lionel Richie song)
10. WINDOWS 98 is released.  Its startup sound was almost exactly like the Playstation's!

11. My first major dental work that I had to pay for was a doozy-- a couple golden crowns and a filling-- and even with 70% coverage it still cost a couple grand!
12. I think this was the year I bought my first laptop.  It really sucked, crashed often, and it was HUGE compared to what we see today.  It was fun taking it to work and watching moves on, though.  I think I had bought some DVDs of MST3K and played them on the computer to have a few laughs with co-workers in the breakroom.
13. Got to be friends with one of the night managers.  They made the mistake of telling me they were afraid of rats.. one time when I was cleaning the gardening area I saw an outdoor thermometer (in the shape of a clock), and in the frame was a nest of baby rats.  The opportunity to freak him out was too enticing for me to resist so I went up to the breakroom and put it under his nose.  BWA HA HA HA!!!  Fortunately he didn't hate me but man was it funny.  I gave them a proper send off (tossed them in the trash).
14. I let him crash at my place one night after getting hammered at the local bar.  He sacked out on the couch while I passed out on the can.  Literally!  Just for a few seconds, but whew; that was scary.  I was still pretty skinny; I could have effed myself up pretty bad.
15. This was probably the year I first got the karaoke bug.  I sang at work a lot (trying to limit it to when I was running noisy equipment) so my pipes were pretty decent.  My brothers took me to the Asian restaurant HI HAT (notorious for their cockroach problems, of which I'd seen them on the bar near my drink before), and they prodded me to do a song or two.  My picks (which I knocked out of the park): IT'S STILL ROCK 'N ROLL TO ME and GARDEN PARTY.  I still karaoke to this day every week, but having to wear a mask all day at work really inhibits your lung power.
16. Went to see the dumb horror flick URBAN LEGENDS.  That Rebecca Gayheart though.. sexy!
17. I think I bought a weight set from a garage sale this year.  Set it up next to my couch and continued to get nice and fit.  Still skinny though.  I was only getting about 5 hours of sleep a day but my body just didn't need much back then.
18. The worst loss my Portland Trailblazers ever had-- and one of the biggest blowouts in NBA history-- was a ridiculous SIXTY FIVE point drubbing at the hands of the Pacers!  What the what??
19. Other bad movies: THE AVENGERS (not Marvel but based on an old British series), I STILL KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, LOST IN SPACE, CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD, 3 NINJAS: HIGH NOON AT MEGA MOUNTAIN, GODZILLA (though I liked the chihuahua Taco Bell commercial promoting it), MEET THE DEEDLES and SPECIES II.
20. The long running ABC'S WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS ends.
21. Cable network BBC AMERICA is launched.
22. SNL regular and comic actor Phil Hartman is shot to death by his disturbed wife, who then kills herself.
23. HOLLYWOOD SQUARES returns, with Tom Bergeron as host.

24. A kids' version of JEOPARDY is released, called JEP!, on Game Show Network.
25. 1998 commercials!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2023, 09:54:06 AM »

Ah, I remember 1997. Boy, do I ever. From writing a letter declining to accept an admissions offer at the kind of college 10,000 others would've given a toe to get into, to watching Hale-Bopp in the twilit sky, to my principal glaring at me while shaking my hand at graduation, to finding out I was pregnant, to getting engaged, to finding out what a miscarriage feels like, to waking up in my car five states away one summer day, to my aunt saying she'd like to have me involuntarily committed, to seeing the sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean and wondering if I was the first person in America to see it, to being taken in by my roommate because she thought I was homeless, even though actually I had both money and homes to go back to, to my employers telling me that far from being mad at me for my stunt, they admired the qualities it demonstrated, to eventually going home late in the year and walking through the rubble I'd created....and somehow finding myself totally forgiven by...everyone. Heck of a year, 'twas.

Can you tell I been up since Wednesday dawn?  Smile

retrorussell

« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2023, 11:14:14 PM »

^ Glad you enjoy this thread and love reading your time capsules.  Thanks for contributing!

One more 1996: The horror survival game CLOCK TOWER debuts on the Playstation, in a much different format than the Famicom version.  Though I enjoyed it (and it definitely had its share of cool scares, and Scissorman is one cool villain) the voice acting is mostly terrible.  I still own it.

One more 1997: Former Blazers coach PJ Carlesimo, now with the Golden State Warriors, is choked by star player Latrell Sprewell.   Sprewell is suspended for 68 games, then traded to the NY Knicks (for whom he will play in the Finals vs. San Antonio in 1999).
Also, Tiger Woods wins his first major at the tender age of 21 (the youngest ever to do so).

One more 1998: Fred Meyer department stores merge with Kroger, with the latter becoming the store's new generic brand.

1999:
1. Wrestler Owen Hart, live on a WWE Pay-Per-View event, is killed when he is lowered into the ring and a cable is broken or comes loose.  He falls 50 feet onto the ring, hitting his head on the turnbuckle.  He is taken to the hospital and later dies.
2. Jon Stewart debuts on THE DAILY SHOW.
3. Half of the legendary film critic team SISKEL & EBERT, Gene Siskel, dies of a brain tumor.
4. NBA superstar Scottie Pippen signs with my hometown Portland Trailblazers!  His best days are clearly behind him but he is still a great player.  His positive presence amongst a young team with some dunderheads was quite welcome.  I remember after a loss one game the players were goofing it up in the locker room and watching tv, and Scottie turned it off and told them to shape up.  Good for him!
5. Dunderhead Falcons safety Eugene Robinson is caught by an undercover police officer posing as a prostitute.  Released from jail Sunday morning, he still manages to play in the Super Bowl against the Broncos but his performance is poor, likely due to lack of sleep.
6. POKEMON gets major recognition in the US when it appears on Kids WB.
7. Wayne Gretzky's NHL playing career ends.
8. FAMILY FEUD returns to television, this time with comic Louie Anderson as host.
9. The hilarious YOU FOOL! episode of HOLLYWOOD SQUARES-- Gilbert Gottfried is the winning square as the contestants repeatedly try to correctly agree/disagree with his answer and fail OVER AND OVER!  Gilbert, exasperated, continues to shout YOU FOOL! at them when they miss.

10. The PBS block known as PTV is replaced by the label PBS KIDS.
11. John Carpenter is the first contestant to win the titular prize on WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?.
12. THIRD WATCH, GREED, COURANGE THE COWARDLY DOG, and JUDGING AMY debut.
13. Bad 1999 films: BABY GENIUSES, DUDLEY DO-RIGHT, MY FAVORITE MARTIAN, WILD WILD WEST, WING COMMANDER, UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: THE RETURN, THE MOD SQUAD.
14. Product debuts: DASANI, ECLIPSE (gum/mints), SIERRA MIST, SPLENDA, SWIFFER, TiVo.
15. Famed director STANLEY KUBRICK dies.
16. David Strickland, star of SUDDENLY SUSAN (Todd), hangs himself.
17. Kind of funny scene in the otherwise dumb AUSTIN POWERS: THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME:

More to come...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 07:33:56 AM by retrorussell » Logged

retrorussell

« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2023, 05:15:56 AM »

18. Oh those Cleveland Browns.. continuing to screw their franchise into the ground with awful draft picks (and other questionable moves).  They select TIM COUCH as the very first pick in the 1999 NFL Draft.  He could have been worse, I suppose, but for a #1 pick he was middling and injuries limited him to 5 seasons in the NFL.
19. Sad day for the Chicago Bears family-- legendary running back Walter "Sweetness" Payton dies of bile duct cancer.
20. Startling end to the PGA's British Open-- Jean van de Velde has a 3 stroke lead on the final hole and p*sses it away.  Paul Lawrie comes back to win the major.
21. Payne Stewart's final PGA major win (before a fatal plane crash later this year) is a US Open Championship.
22. Serena Williams wins her first major tennis title-- the US Open in the Grand Slam.
23. Commoicials!

24. PayPal and Napster debut.
25. Arcade hits: CRAZY TAXI, STREET FIGHTER III: THIRD STRIKE, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH 2049, STRIDER 2, POWER STONE, GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES, DEAD OR ALIVE 2, NBA SHOWTIME: NBA ON NBC, STRIKERS 1945 III, CRUISIN' EXOTICA, BEATMANIA COMPLETE MIX, TEKKEN TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT, NFL BLITZ 2000.
Bonus:
One of the stock-working night managers taped some Game Show Network for me (I love old game shows), and its promo commercials often had the header "Y2Play" instead of Y2K (year 2000), as the millennium came to a close.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 07:25:38 PM by retrorussell » Logged

retrorussell

« Reply #239 on: March 05, 2023, 07:14:18 AM »

A couple before re-visiting 2000:

1992:
Cool pre-game Portland Trailblazers theme with multiple players acting as covered wagon guides in the Old West on the Oregon Trail.  Clyde Drexler, Buck Williams, Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, Cliff Robinson, Kevin Duckworth and head coach Rick Adelman star.  The family watched this during or right after dinner on KOIN-6 (usually road games).

1998:
My Portland Winterhawks win not only the WHL Championship, but also the Memorial Cup vs. the top Ontario Hockey League club!  The winner-take-all game vs. the Guelph Storm:

Great squad with numerous players going on to the NHL, including Marion Hossa who got hurt yet the team still wins in OT.

2000:
1. The famed MORE COWBELL episode of SNL!

2. David Letterman undergoes a massive quintuple heart bypass.  He miraculously returns to his show one month later.
3. The cartoon cable channel BOOMERANG debuts.
4. Richard Roeper becomes the new permanent co-host alongside Roger Ebert on Ebert's film critique show, which is now dubbed EBERT & ROEPER AND THE MOVIES (later EBERT & ROEPER).
5. Kathy Lee Gifford ends her tenure on LIVE alongside Regis Philbin.
6. Richard Hatch wins the big one million dollar prize on SURVIVOR.
7. The noxious dud BATTLEFIELD EARTH stinks up cinemas.
8. The character Timmy debuts on South Park.  TIMMAAAAAAYYYY!!!!  I remember my friend busting up laughing at him.
9. The Playstation 2 debuts!  I wouldn't get mine for another 5 years or so.  I still own one.  The best selling console ever not named NINTENDO SWITCH.
10. Other crap films: LITTLE NICKY, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, BOOK OF SHADOWS: BLAIR WITCH 2, THE IN CROWD, BLESS THE CHILD, HEAVY METAL 2000, TITANIC: THE LEGEND GOES ON, NUTTY PROFESSOR 2: THE KLUMPS, BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE, THE NEXT BEST THING, FLINTSTONES: VIVA ROCK VEGAS, BLOODY MURDER.
11. Alaska Airlines Fl. 261 crashes near Port Hueneme off the coast of California near Oxnard.  All 88 die.
12. Sexual misconduct cases in the Roman Catholic Church prompt a public apology by Pope John Paul II.
13. The DNA sequence of the human genome is first decoded.
14. Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic resigns amid mass demonstrations in Belgrade.
15. NBA player (Charlotte Hornets) Bobby Phills dies in a car crash.
16. Beloved Kansas City Chiefs legend Derrick Thomas dies of pulmonary embolism, 2 weeks after a major car crash.
17. PEANUTS creator Charles M. Schultz dies.
18. NBA player Malik Sealy is killed in a car crash by a drunk driver going the wrong way.
19. My Bills had one of the worst special teams units in franchise history.  The head coach (Wade Phillips) would get fired and mighty mouse Doug Flutie would get cut at the end of the season.  This was the first of 17 straight years missing the playoffs.  Yuck!
20. Other famous deaths: Hedy Lamarr, Alan North, Sir Alec Guiness, Sir John Gielgud, Tom Landry, Roger Vadim, Jim Varney (Ernest), Oliver, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Ian Dury, Claire Trevor, Steve Reeves, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Tito Puente, Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin Jr. (both car crashes), Vittorio Gassman, Walter Matthau, Loretta Young, Richard Mulligan, Benjamin Orr, Richard Farnsworth, Yokozuna, Steve Allen, Julie London, Ring Lardner Jr., Werner Klemperer, Billy Barty, Marie Windsor, Victor Borge, and Jason Robards.
More to come...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  25 nostalgic things you remember from a specific year or decade! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.