Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:33:31 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  25 nostalgic things you remember from a specific year or decade! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Author Topic: 25 nostalgic things you remember from a specific year or decade!  (Read 35595 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #240 on: March 05, 2023, 08:22:51 AM »

A quick 1996 re-visit:

The funny animated skit THE AMBIGUOUSLY GAY DUO debuts on The Dana Carvey Show, and later appears on Saturday Night Live's SATURDAY TV FUNHOUSE, which has plenty of funny animated skits of its own.
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Back to 2K:

21. Commercials:

22. I think this was the year I went on vacation with my mom to Virginia.  We stayed in Williamsburg at a nice little flat kind of out in the boonies.  We marveled at how cheap gas and groceries were.  Got to go on some Colonial tours.  Good trip.
23. The 2000 NBA Draft is considered one of the worst ever.  The #1 pick is Kenyon Martin and apart from him (and I wouldn't call him "great") almost everyone else is garbage.
24. NFL Draft: At #1 Penn St. DE Courtney Brown goes the.. um.. Browns.  He isn't terrible but never being an All-Pro is a disappointment as a #1 pick.  Bears legend Brian Urlacher is picked at #9.  Tom Brady-- yes, THAT Tom Brady-- is picked in the 6th round!
25. Blazers PF/C Jermaine O'Neal is traded to the Indiana Pacers.  Blazer fans were almost unanimously upset that he was underutilized, and he proved them right by making multiple All-Star appearances in a Pacers uniform.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
retrorussell

« Reply #241 on: March 05, 2023, 04:18:34 PM »

Before 2001..

I was barely conscious of this at the time:
The Price Is Right expands to one hour for the first time.  This is just kind of a test run, but would be a permanent change in November.
Also, I remember watching the final CBS episode of The Joker's Wild at my Grandma's house.  Cool send-off with the slides going black as the audience showers the production staff with applause, even in total darkness.  Of course, the show would be brought back for syndication 2 years later.

1997: The Washington Bullets change their name to a more family-friendly "Wizards".  Thumbdown

Another 2000: The Seattle Kingdome is demolished, 24 years after its opening.  The Seahawks play at the University of Washington's Husky Stadium until 2002, and the Mariners had already moved to Safeco Field.

And a hilarious CARTOON NETWORK promo from 1998:

2001:
1. Boy were my Bills hot garbage.  At 3-13 this was the worst Buffalo team I'd ever witnessed.  But they did have a nice draft with Nate Clements, Aaron Schobel and Travis Henry all having good careers in Buffalo (though the latter had major drug issues).
2. Work was really starting to wear on me.  I was often having to stay late since I was the supervisor, and since we didn't have a phone book drop box in the lot people would just drive by and pile them in front of the trash dumpster-- practically hundreds of them-- and I'd have to stay after to dump them all myself since my staff had gone home.  I would be positively wiped by the time I got home.
3. My friend and I rented RAT RACE.  Kind of stupid, but I loved the part where various circumstances make Jon Lovitz look and act like Hitler in front of a WWII Veteran Convention.
4. Director James Isaac takes the Friday the 13th franchise in a totally weird different direction-- IN SPACE! (Completed in 2001 but released in US theaters in 2002) Yep, hockey-masked Jason menaces a crew of space scientists in the future.  Mind-numbingly stupid.  At least the imposing Kane Hodder was back, and I was impressed with how quickly Jason took out these guys (including director David Cronenberg!):

5. The 2001 NBA Draft is better than the awful 2000 one, but a bust still comes off the shelves at #1 to the Washington Wizards-- KWAME BROWN.
6. Michael Jordan returns to the NBA!  But not as a Chicago Bull.. as a Washington Wizard.  He fails to make the playoffs with his new team and retires for good after 2 seasons with the club.  He still is an effective player though.
7. One of Saturday Night Live's best moments.. I remember seeing this on the internet right after its debut and just dying.  Pierce Brosnan gets interviewed for a job by Will Ferrell.. you can imagine how badly that would go.. Pierce's amused reaction to Ferrell's antics lead him to almost break character completely.

More to come..

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
retrorussell

« Reply #242 on: March 05, 2023, 08:11:25 PM »

One more 1984: The creepy PBS ident is changed to something a little more innocuous:

One more 1994: The 2-point conversion debuts in the NFL.

8. BOTTLEGATE!  A game between the host Cleveland Browns and the Jacksonville Jaguars devolves into a complete littering of the field by enraged fans.  In a close game in which Cleveland desperately wanted a win to make the playoffs, QB Tim Couch converts a 4th and short pass to Quincy Morgan for a first down, with Couch then spiking the ball at 48 seconds remaining on the clock.  Even after the spike, the referees confer and decide they want to look at the previous play.  They overturn the call and say the pass was incomplete.  This gives the ball back to the Jaguars, who have a 5 point lead and can kneel down the ball to run out the clock.  The fans throw debris onto the field-- mostly beer bottles-- and the officials initially call the game, prompting players and coaching staff to exit the field.  But the league office has them finish the game with a couple Jacksonville kneels.  Though the refs claim the signal to review the previous play came before the spike, replay does not seem to support this.  Cleveland would go on to miss the playoffs.

9. Tom Brady's first NFL start (after a year of riding the pines behind Drew Bledsoe) is a whupping of Peyton Manning's Colts.  The GM/owner/coach see enough of him to start him over John Friesz and Michael Bishop and he does not look back.
10. The XFL debuts!  It is quite silly.  It features silly wrestling influences like kayfabe and wrestling legends announcing , goofy nicknames on the player jerseys (like HE HATE ME), and goofy stadium designs-- I think I remember seeing tiki torches..?  The rules allowed for more physicality than the NFL was currently allowing but the league is a massive bust and folds after one season (!).  However, the XFL is planning a return in 2023.
11. In international football (soccer), Australia whups Tonga 22-0-- setting a record for margin in an international football match-- then beats that record with an embarrassment of American Samoa by the score of 31-0!  This prompts FIFA to change their qualification process.
12. Awesome rookie (in the US, anyway) Ichiro Suzuki makes his American debut for the Seattle Mariners.  He will go on to win American League MVP honors in his first year!
13. The Seattle Mariners tie a Major League Baseball record for the most wins ever with a ridiculous 116-46 record!  Unfortunately this does not translate to a World Series appearance as they are beaten in 5 games in the AL Championship Series by the New York Yankees.
14. South African Retief Goosen wins his first golf major, taking the US Open.  David Toms nets his only major win, the PGA Championship.
15. In the Grand Slam of Tennis, Jennifer Capriati wins the Australian and French Opens, and Venus Williams wins the Wimbledon and US Opens.
16. Andre Agassi marries fellow tennis ace Steffi Graf.
17. Big-time stinker: GHOSTS FROM MARS.  John Carpenter sure has his share of mistakes.
18. The JEEPERS CREEPERS franchise begins.  Rented it; not bad.  Also rented the silly JESUS CHRIST VAMPIRE HUNTER.  Poor at times but worth a few chuckles.  Rented THE OTHERS with my friend (very good movie), and the bad THIRT3EN GHOSTS remake.
19. The NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL debuts.
20. British animated series BOB THE BUILDER makes its US debut.
21. NASCAR racer Dale Earnhardt is killed in a collision at the Daytona 500.
22. 20 years after their marriage, Luke and Laura divorce on GENERAL HOSPITAL.
23. ADULT SWIM debuts on Cartoon Network.
24. Commercials:

25. 180,000 gallons of oil leak from the ship "Jessica" in the Galapagos Islands, causing an ecological disaster.

retrorussell

« Reply #243 on: March 05, 2023, 08:39:42 PM »

2002 re-visited:
1. The "Whammy" is back!  Game Show Network airs WHAMMY: THE ALL NEW PRESS YOUR LUCK.  Peter Tomarken (Press Your Luck's host from 1983-86) hosts the pilot but the producers go with Todd Newton (HOLLYWOOD SHOWDOWN) instead.  Took me a while to warm up to it (at all), due to the cheaper prizes and some annoying contestants, as well as Todd's at times underwhelming style, but it's okay.  The Whammy animations certainly look better, and I liked the interactive Double Whammies.

2. The Seattle Seahawks move to the NFC West from the AFC West.  They also have a new design on their uniforms with a background of dark blue instead of silver.
3. My Bills underwent a uniform change too: the helmets have the same red background and charging blue buffalo, but the jerseys have dark blue isntead of light blue.  Many fans are not pleased (I didn't really mind that much).
4. Ye Gods-- the TUCK RULE GAME!  Tom Brady and the Patriots win a narrow Divisional Playoff game with the Raiders, thanks largely to the refs determining that Tom Brady did not fumble the ball and instead made a motion of "tucking" which was rule an incomplete pass.  The Patriots prevail in overtime in heavy Foxboro snow.

5. Paul McCartney does a Super Bowl halftime show (as does U2) and sits in with the tv team as well!

More later..

retrorussell

« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2023, 03:02:46 AM »

6. FAMILY GUY is cancelled, though strong video sales prompt its return to television in 2005.
7. Warren Zevon makes his final appearance on David Letterman (and is the only guest for the show).  He gives his guitar to his close friend Letterman and talks at length about his illness (mesothelioma), and he says "I might have made a tactical error in not going to a physician in 20 years" and "enjoy every sandwich".  Zevon's last song he plays is Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner and he dies the following year after his final album THE WIND is released.
8. The film THE DEAD ZONE is revived (heh) as a tv series starring Anthony Michael Hall.
9. The NFL commentary duo of Pat Summerall and John Madden split up.
10. My local UPN affiliate KPTV-12 and local FOX affiliate KPDX-49 switch places.
11. Kelly Clarkson wins the first season of AMERICAN IDOL and her song "A Moment Like This" will eventually be released and go on to #1 in the US.
12. Since I hardly ever used vacation time at work, I had a lot of hours coming back in the form of a paycheck when I quit.  I needed every penny since work was tough to find over the next year and a few months.  Quit close to Christmas time.  Had a meeting with the powers that be just before I left and as I walked out, left all the equipment out for someone else to put away.  Eff those guys.
13. Series endings: OUTER LIMITS, DARIA, THE TICK, DR. KATZ (I used to watch this a lot in the break room at work; funny show), STEVE HARVEY SHOW, JACKASS, LEXX, DHARMA AND GREG, SPIN CITY, ROSWELL, X-FILES, ALLY MCBEAL, FELICITY, ROSIE O'DONNELL SHOW, SALLY JESSIE RAPHAEL, CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH, POLITICALLY INCORRECT, POP UP VIDEO, DENNIS MILLER LIVE, UNSOLVED MYSTERIES, IN SEARCH OF..., COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG, and FIREFLY.
14. The Maryland Terrapins win their first and to date only NCAA Basketball Championship.
15. Tiger Woods wins the Masters and US Open.  He loses the PGA Championship by one shot to Rich Beem and Ernie Els wins the British Open.
16. Serena Williams wins 3 of the Grand Slam championships in Women's Tennis: Wimbledon, French Open and US Open.  Jennifer Capriati wins the Australian Open.
17. US Airways declares bankruptcy.
18. The first "splatter film"-- BLOOD FEAST (from 1963!)-- is given a direct-to-video sequel and is also helmed by Herchell Gordon Lewis!  BLOOD FEAST 2: ALL U CAN EAT.  I remember coming across this with my friend at the cool video store MOVIE MADNESS.  If you can't find a movie at MM it probably doesn't exist.  Cool place full of movie props they auctioned for.  Still there in SE Portland.
19. Rented the rather meh GHOST SHIP, but what a cool, gory opening!

20. KMART files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
21. President George W. Bush delivers his famed "Axis Of Evil" SOTU address.

22. Queen Elizabeth I dies.
23. Bush signs the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND act.
24. Forest fires in Colorado wipe out almost 100,000 acres of wildlife.
25. 14-year old Elizabeth Smart is abducted from her home in Salt Lake City.  She is found alive the following year.

retrorussell

« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2023, 05:31:54 AM »

One more 2002:  ALLEN IVERSON'S "PRACTICE" RANT!

2003:

1. The stigma of the "Jail Blazers" moniker continues to pollute my city's NBA team.  Damon Stoudamire gets busted at an Arizona airport for possession of marijuana wrapped in tinfoil.  Multiple events from the previous couple years as well (legal troubles and attitude problems among themselves, other players, refs and fans) lead to numerous players getting the boot.
2. I'll admit I didn't try as hard as I should have to get another job, though I did put in probably a dozen or so applications and didn't get hardly a response.  I even tried to get back with the old job and they were sh*tty to me, so I told them never mind.  Sold a number of things and tried to be careful with my remaining finances in order to keep the roof over my head.  I was able to borrow probably a few hundred from my folks (I paid back in full) to just make it to my next job the following year.
3. The landlord I'd known for some time.  Nice old guy who was a friend of my friend.  He liked to sit on his back porch and drink.  He'd invite anybody to sit with him and chew the fat which was cool.  I'd sometimes go out back with him late at night (I was just a few units down from his office) and we'd actually play Mad Libs, which can still be pretty damn funny with dirty filling of the blanks.
4. Heartbreak for the Minnesota Vikings (haven't they had enough??)!  A win and they're in the playoffs on the final game of the season.  But a Hail Mary pass by Josh McCown to Nate Pool in the corner of the end zone gives the Cardinals the win.  Paul Allen (not the Microsoft co-founder) call:

5. The JAKKS PACIFIC plug-and-play handheld game systems debut!  Bought one for my friend.  Simply plug the RCA like jacks into the TV and you can play several classic arcade games.  This was a Namco compilation of Pac-Man, Galaxian, Rally-X, Dig Dug and Bosconian.  Though he wasn't an arcade nut like me he definitely remembered and enjoyed these titles.  Got it at Toys R Us-- man that place was awesome in my childhood.
6. Jamal Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens sets an NFL record for rushing yards in a game (295!).
7. I lived right next to an Albertson's grocery store.  Only with a membership card were their prices acceptable.  But if the price tags were out of date they would sometimes let you have that item for free!  I didn't want to take advantage of that all the time but my finances were drying up..
8. Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa both hit their 500th career home runs.
9. The Syracuse Orangemen win their first and to date only NCAA Mens Basketball Championship.
10. Mike Weir is the first Canadian and left-hander to win the Masters in golf.
11. Jim Furyk wins his first major, the US Open.
12. Serena Williams defeats her own sister Venus twice, in the Australian Open and Wimbledon.  Justine Henin-Hardenne defeats Kim Clitsters-- eh heh, I mean-- Clijsters-- in both French Open and US Open.  Also tennis: Pete Sampras retires at 32.
13. My mom and I went to see the stupid FINAL DESTINATION 2 at the old Valley Theater.  She was mortified by the violence but I cracked up at it.  I think even a few kids in attendance were surprised at my reactions.  (spoiler) The end where the kid blows up at the BBQ grill and his severed arm falls on his mom's plate..  He he he!
14. My friend and I went to see FREDDY VS. JASON at Tigard Cinemas.  Pretty dumb but the fight scenes delivered.  Though it was kind of a bummer that Kane Hodder didn't return as Jason, the imposing Ken Kirzinger did quite well.
15. I may have bought my 3-disc DVD player this year.  It was the coolest thing I ever saw! (I was easy to please)
16. 3 years after David Letterman's quintuple bypass surgery caused him to miss time on his show, he acquires a bout of shingles and misses a few weeks, with 4 guest hosts filling in.
17. THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is re-made.  Very different from the original, it's actually pretty scary.  But some of the plot is stupid and not as interesting as the original.  R. Lee Ermey is in it!  WILLARD is also remade and isn't too bad (weirdo Crispin Glover is a good fit, and Ermey is also in this).
18. Dan Rather interviews Saddam Hussein!

19. TV debuts: RUGRATS: ALL GROWN UP, THE GRIM ADVENTURES OF BILLY AND MANDY, THE BACHELORETTE, CHAPPELLE'S SHOW, MYTHBUSTERS, THAT'S SO RAVEN, PENN & TELLER BULLS**T!, JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE, THE VENTURE BROS, DA ALI G SHOW, REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER, (JIM) ROME IS BURNING, DINOTOPIA, LAST COMIC STANDING, the funny cartoon STRIPPERELLA, QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY, MY LIFE AS A TEENAGE ROBOT, THE O.C., THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW, TWO AND A HALF MEN, LILO & STITCH THE SERIES, ONE TREE HILL, NCIS, HOPE & FAITH, COLD CASE, ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, STAR WARS: CLONE WARS, CELEBRITY POKER SHOWDOWN, THE SIMPLE LIFE, DIRTY JOBS, EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION.
20. The National Network is renamed SPIKE TV.
21. Yuck.. Joe Namath makes a creepy, drunken pass live during a football game between the Jets and the Patriots with ESPN's Suzy Kolber.  He repeatedly says "I just wanna kiss you.."  Joe would later enter a rehab clinic.

22. 2003 commercials:

23. The cool game STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC debuts.
24. KENAN THOMPSON from Kenan & Kel debuts as a performer on Saturday Night Live.  He becomes the longest-running member of the show's history.
25. The pretty cool (even with a slightly daft plot twist)-- and very gory-- HIGH TENSION is released.

retrorussell

« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2023, 06:41:55 AM »

One more 1995:
Actor Christopher Reeve is paralyzed from being thrown from a horse.  He is confined to a motorized wheelchair, powered by blowing in a tube.  He lives for another 9 years.
And 2003:
Awesome interactive CGI movie: DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: SCOURGE OF WORLDS.  I think I got it for Christmas that year.  Played it over and over; it's like "Choose Your Own Adventure".  Lots and lots of paths and endings.  VERY cheesy and slow battle scenes but still lots of fun.
Also, amid bad blood due to beaning or near beaning from both teams, a goofy fight between the elderly Yankees coach Don Zimmer and the Red Sox's Pedro Martinez ends with Pedro just tossing him to the ground.

2004 re-visited:
1. I think I got my new bed sometime this year.  My sister helped me set it up and I wasn't a ton of help unfortunately since my allergies were going haywire (the carpet was all dusty underneath).  But once it was set up it was the exact same height as my computer desk, so it was super comfy to surf the net from the edge of my bed.
2. My apartment could get mildewy.  My bedroom window had a small gap at the floor and cold air plus moisture would start making my allergies go nuts.  I would have to keep plenty of bleach spray around and get the windowsills and anywhere else that could get damp.  Yuck!
3. I think the old landlord left this year.  I wasn't a big fan of the other 2 that came along while I was a tenant.
4. It wasn't as weird working at the same job as my mom as I thought it would be-- I didn't see her that much as she worked on the opposite side of the building as me.  Though my mom didn't like the boss he was good to me.  And he bought us plenty of doughnuts!  The last time I ever drank coffee even remotely regularly was at that place.  Had to have lots of Sweet 'N Low though.
5. The 2nd time I worked at that warehouse I was making enough money to get pizza next door at Domino's every Friday.  I would collect money from any employee who wanted it and pick them up during lunch break, and buy a few 2 liters.  The pizza was crap (much better now) but it was kind of fun to be the "pizza guy".  I was so skinny and I could put away a large pizza in 10 minutes.  Most employees liked me but one spoiled little b*tch who worked in Inspection with me thought her bowel movements were odorless.  I would also get tired of the line manager who was generally okay but was on drugs or something because he'd freak out over the dumbest things on occasion.
6. Crap movies: SUPERBABIES: BABY GENIUSES 2, CATWOMAN, WHITE CHICKS, GIGLI, CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS, SURVIVING CHRISTMAS, TAXI, AGENT CODY BANKS 2, GARFIELD, CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE DRAMA QUEEN, YOU GOT SERVED, SOUL PLANE, SHE HATE ME.
7. Bought the other big "Namco Museum"-like joystick with Galaga, Mappy, Pole Position, Xevious and Ms. Pac-Man, for my friend.  Though he was never big into video games back in the day he did kind of remember them and played the games I got him.
8. Didn't have much decoration in the spare bedroom-- my old dresser in the closet space and my old Symphonic tv on top of it, plus a movie poster on the wall (might have been Nightmare on Elm Street 4).  This year I think I bought the futon hide-a-bed.  I now have it in my current house, which my renter is sleeping on.
9. WARDROBE MALFUNCTION during the Super Bowl!  The halftime show features Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson.  Timberlake rips off a part of her costume, exposing a breast.  OOPS!
10. The funny TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORIES sketches with Charlie Murphy appear on Dave Chappelle's show.  They feature fictional stories involving Murphy meeting Prince and Rick James.  Prince challenges Murphy to a game of basketball and serves him pancakes, and Rick James hits people.  Plus, a hilarious commercial for Sam Jackson beer:

11. Rich Fields is Rod Roddy's replacement as the announcer on THE PRICE IS RIGHT.
12. FRIENDS and FRAZIER end their series.
13. Ken Jennings is JEOPARDY champ, and ends up winning over 4 1/2 million during his long tenure.
14. Another major Red Sox-Yankees brawl draws blood from Tanyon Sturtze's ear.
15. The Red Sox's Curt Schilling bleeds profusely from his right ankle and through his sock (yuck) but holds the Yankees to 1 run in 7 innings for a game 6 victory.

More to come..

retrorussell

« Reply #247 on: March 07, 2023, 03:24:40 PM »

16. MALICE AT THE PALACE!  A game between the Pistons and Pacers at the Palace of Auburn Hills (Detroit) breaks out into a big old to-do when Ben Wallace takes umbrage at a hard foul by Ron Artest.  A scuffle breaks out between both teams and then Artest goes after a fan in the stands that heckled/threw a drink at him.  A number of other players enter the stands as well.  This is nuts!  Several millions in fines, suspensions, and assault charges are levied out to both players and fans.  The game is simply called with under a minute remaining.  The game leads to increased security and limited beer sales in the future.

17. "You're fired!", uttered by Donald Trump, is a popular coinage from THE APPRENTICE.
18. The awesome JUSTICE LEAGUE cartoon becomes JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED as the superhero roster greatly expands from the 7 in the original series.  Got both series on DVD.  I should watch them all again.  And Clancy Brown makes a FANTASTIC Lex Luthor.

19. The "Numa Numa" meme with some fat kid lip synching/dancing to the Romanian song "Dragostea Din Tei":

20. Presidential candidate Howard Dean craps all over his Presidential aspirations with a goofy scream in the middle of a speech in Des Moines.

21. NBA Draft: Dwight Howard is picked at #1 by the Orlando Magic.  Emeka Okafor (#2), Devin Harris (#5), Luol Deng (#7), Andre Iguodala (#9) and Al Jefferson (#15) are others.  High school phenom Sebastian Telfair tapes his highlights to get NBA teams salivating, and my Trailblazers get suckered in, taking him at #13.  He sucks.
22. NFL Draft: ELI MANNING goes at #1 to the Giants.  QBs Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers are also selected.  Wes Welker, Tyson Clabo and Jason Peters are undrafted.
23. And my Bills took quarterback J.P. Losman from Tulane in the FIRST ROUND.  Puke.. though to be fair the offensive line was hot garbage.
24. I hadn't done every single job at work but I'd done many, and did them faster than just about anyone else.  One of the facility supervisors called me "The Machine".  It was kind of cool to be complimented like that. 
25. The awesome TAKE 5 candy bar debuts, as does the energy drinks NOS and Full Throttle.

retrorussell

« Reply #248 on: March 07, 2023, 04:32:00 PM »

2005:
1. Two reality tv series are cancelled after only 1 episode: THE WILL and WHO'S YOUR DADDY?.
2. Brad Rutter takes over the lead in all-time Jeopardy winnings, surpassing Ken Jennings.
3. Dan Rather retires from CBS EVENING NEWS after 24 years.
4. DOCTOR WHO returns to British television for the first time in 16 years.
5. WORLD NEWS TONIGHT anchor Peter Jennings announces in a taped segment his diagnosis of lung cancer.  He dies 4 months later.
6. FOX unveils their new animation block ANIMATION DOMINATION with the Family Guy revival, King of the Hill, The Simpsons, and the new Seth MacFarlane show AMERICAN DAD!

7. Tom Cruise makes a weird appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show:

8. Carrie Underwood wins on AMERICAN IDOL.  She goes on to have numerous country-pop hits, including the IMHO awful BEFORE HE CHEATS.
9. During a concert benefit for victims of Hurricane Katrina, Kanye West (with Mike Meyers) goes on a rant about how President Bush "doesn't care about black people".

10. NARUTO debuts in the US on Cartoon Network's Toonami block.
More to come..

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #249 on: March 07, 2023, 05:17:58 PM »

^ 8. Carrie Underwood wins on AMERICAN IDOL.  She goes on to have numerous country-pop hits, including the IMHO awful BEFORE HE CHEATS.

Couldn't agree more! At least Alanis only wrote whiny songs about Joey from Full House doing her wrong, she didn't go bash up his truck and pee in it.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
retrorussell

« Reply #250 on: March 08, 2023, 05:27:26 AM »

11. The IMHO rather dumb "Chuck Norris Facts" debut on the internet.
12. The "Soda Geyser" experiment of Diet Coke and Mentos gains popularity.
13. The text symbol UwU or similar emoticon represents a "cute face" and becomes popular.
14. MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ends its run on ABC after 35 years.  It moves to ESPN.
15. The Icelandic show LAZY TOWN airs an episode with the song "You Are A Pirate".  It later becomes an internet meme, especially with the funny Fred Perry-animated video with suggestive themes.
16. Saw HOSTEL at the theater with my friend.  Really nasty.  Sort of kicked off the "torture porn" horror genre.
17. Other horror flicks: THE DESCENT, CONSTANTINE, THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE, THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, WOLF CREEK (we rented that; not bad), SAW II, BLOODRAYNE, THE RING TWO, and the remakes HOUSE OF WAX, 2001 MANIACS and THE FOG.
18. 20 years after Live Aid's benefit concerts, a new series of said concerts takes place in G8 cities and South Africa, known as LIVE 8, to fight world hunger.  U2, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Madonna, Stevie Wonder and Green Day are among the performers.
19. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is the first female president of an African nation (Liberia).
20. The IRA announces an end to armed violence and gives up its weapons to inspectors.
21. Invalid Terri Schiavo's feeding tube is removed after a long "right to die" legal battle.  She dies 13 days later.
22. Pop star Michael Jackson is found Not Guilty of sexual molestation charges.
23. Brutal east coast winter ice storms in the US leave nearly a million without power.
24. One of my favorite episodes of SATURDAY TV FUNHOUSE on SNL was this demented spoof of the Hanna-Barbera cartoon SHAZZAN:

25. I think I may have started to go down to the bar/karaoke joint a block from my house.  Never to drink (except maybe once or twice) but to sing.  My friend went there after work, but not usually when I was there.  Since I lived close I'd stay till almost closing to sing.  Got to be very, very good at it.  If I didn't have to wear a mask at work all day I could probably get back to that point someday.

retrorussell

« Reply #251 on: March 08, 2023, 04:34:31 PM »

2006:
1. Funny pilot (or, a small part of it in this clip) for an animated show that unfortunately never materialized: KORGOTH OF BARBARIA

2. Funny that when I got my forklift license this year I went online and found the short video FORKLIFT DRIVER KLAUS, a gory and hilarious educational film about forklift driving (I used the stand-up model, not the sit-down model).
3. Tara Conner, Miss USA, is caught with underage drinking and cocaine use, and kissing Miss Teen USA Katie Blair at a NY nightclub.  She is allowed to keep her crown by checking into a rehab clinic.
4. I remember this hilarious episode of NFL ON CBS's pre-game show.  Shannon Sharpe has the panel (especially Dan Marino) in stitches with his spoof of not just Dennis Green's rant (THE BEARS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!), but also Tara Conner's tearful presser.

5. Iran continues to refuse access to UN weapon inspectors.
6. A mine explosion in Nueva Rosita, Mexico leads to 65 miner deaths.
7. A train network in Mumbai, India is bombed.  Over 160 are killed.
8. Italy wins their 4th FIFA World Cup, over France, in Germany.
9. Major E-Coli outbreaks in the US from fresh spinach and lettuce.
10. Barry Bonds passes Babe Ruth for the most MLB home runs all time.
11. California suffers 2 weeks of temperatures around 115 degrees.
12. Goofy video with anime girls dancing to the Swedish song Caramelldansen becomes a hit:

13. Nic Cage's freakout "NOT THE BEES!" from the remake of THE WICKER MAN also becomes a popular meme:

More later..

retrorussell

« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2023, 01:50:47 AM »

14. A meme is made of Vegeta from DRAGON BALL Z screaming "IT'S OVER 9,000!!!".  I remember this getting popular for some cheesy reason.

15. Blu-ray debuts!
16. More product debuts: Eggo Cereal, Coca Cola Black Cherry Vanilla (wow-- how did I miss this??), Lego Batman, Gold Peak Tea, Tab Energy and Stride gum.
17. Bad remakes: THE OMEN, THE WICKER MAN, WHEN A STRANGER CALLS, THE SHAGGY DOG.
18. The PINK PANTHER franchise returns!  With Steve Martin as Clouseau.  Meh..
19. Other meh or worse movies: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING, GARFIELD: A TALE OF TWO KITTIES, BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE 2, SAW III, DECK THE HALLS, BASIC INSTINCT 2, DATE MOVIE.
20. Paul McCartney and his disabled wife Heather Mills separate, divorcing 2 years later.
21. The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is killed when his heart is pierced by a stingray barb in the Great Barrier Reef.
22. NY Yankees pitcher Corey Lidle is killed in a plane crash when the plane either he or his flying instructor is piloting slams into an apartment building (both die).
23. My Blazers struck gold this NBA draft.  They nab #2 LAMARCUS ALDRIDGE and #6 BRANDON ROY, both great players (though the latter was besieged with knee injuries).  Otherwise a pretty blah draft.  #1 is ANDREA BARGNANI, #21 RAJON RONDO, #24 KYLE LOWRY, and #47 PAUL MILSAP.  One of the bigger busts in recent memory is ADAM MORRISON at #3.
24. Not a super-great NFL draft either: MARIO WILLIAMS at #1, VINCE YOUNG at #3, VERNON DAVIS #6, JAY CUTLER #11, HALOTI NGATA #12, JOSEPH ADDAI #30, DEVIN HESTER #57, MAURICE JONES-DREW #60, and KYLE WILLIAMS at #134 and MATT PRATER (undrafted) are some exceptions.
25. Commercials:

retrorussell

« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2023, 02:15:26 AM »

2007:
1. He he he-- Peyton Manning's hilarious SNL skit where he plays football with United Way kids.  He pulls no punches.

2. Allegations of sex with minors against Jared Fogle from the Subway ads begin to circulate.
3. Nutso Britney Spears checks herself in and out of rehab, then shaves her head.
4. 300 takes in nearly $71 million in its first weekend!
5. Regis Philbin has triple bypass surgery and misses his LIVE WITH REGIS AND KELLY show for 6 weeks.  When he returns, his guest is David Letterman-- who of course had a quintuple bypass in recent years.
6. Popular usually animal-related I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER? meme website debuts.
More later..

retrorussell

« Reply #254 on: March 10, 2023, 05:31:27 AM »

7. Bad movies: I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK AND LARRY, REDLINE, DADDY DAY CAMP, RUSH HOUR 3, EPIC MOVIE, I KNOW WHO KILLED ME, NORBIT, ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM, UNDERDOG, SAW IV, HANNIBAL RISING.
8. CHILLER is the first horror cable channel.
9. Radio "shock jock" host Don Imus makes derogatory comments about Rutgers' women's basketball team.  His program IMUS IN THE MORNING is cancelled over this.
10. An episode of the Disney Channel program HANDY MANNY is accidentally replaced with a pornographic film in Lincroft, NJ.
11. Jordin Sparks wins American Idol's 6th season.
12. WWE pro wrestler Chris Benoit murders his wife and son before hanging himself.
13. The most-watched made for cable movie ever is HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2, on the Disney Channel.
14. For the first time ever, a Division 1 college football school defeats a ranked Division 1-A/FBS team as Appalachian State beats Michigan 34-32 in Ann Arbor, MI.  Michigan tried to stave off the upset with a field goal at the end but it is blocked and AS almost runs it all the way back as time runs out.

15. HULU debuts.
16. The Writers Guild of America strike halts TV show production and disrupts scheduling.
17. Yuck.. the repulsive video 2 GIRLS 1 CUP is released.
18. The popular video CHOCOLATE RAIN by Tay Zonday debuts.
19. Popular gif "Dramatic Chipmunk" is released, which actually shows a prairie dog-- turning and glaring at the camera.

20. The coinage "Rule 34" (implying that porn can be made out of anything) becomes popular.
21. "Rage Comic" character faces become a popular meme.
22. The term "Rickrolled" is born, indicating something you clicked on leads unexpectedly to Rick Astley singing "Never Gonna Give You Up".
23. The game PORTAL debuts!  The closing song "Still Alive":

24. The popular video "What What (In The Butt)" debuts.
25. Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's DEATH PROOF and PLANET TERROR trailers, as well as a bunch of mock trailers:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  25 nostalgic things you remember from a specific year or decade! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.