Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:54 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  On This Day: Your History « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42
Author Topic: On This Day: Your History  (Read 65694 times)
claws
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Occidentali's Karma

« on: November 10, 2022, 07:29:22 AM »

November 10, 2011: I watched Troll 2 for the first time on blu-ray. It was like, everything.

Is it October yet?
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 10:23:18 AM »

Hmm, gimme a minute.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 06:43:10 PM »

11-10-92: Sat through a chapel on Martin Luther's birthday, listening to a homily on how "wrong" he and the Reformation were.

11-10-95: My pregnant cousin Dana had a second blood test and I was happy that she and her unborn baby were doing well. I was less happy my boyfriend was having so many worries over his father's imploding life.

11-10-96: I was upset in the aftermath of a fight I saw at a mall. More of an assault. I hate violence.

11-10-97: A nanny named Louise Woodward was convicted in the death of the child she was supposed to be watching, and received a life sentence for it, but the judge hearing the case instead let her go, and everyone was talking about that on that day.

11-10-98: Came home from an overseas assignment and spent time with my boyfriend and was really happy to be home.

11-10-99: Beautiful snow flurries where I was. I watched Buffy and Angel with my friend Rob, who was across the country, by putting my phone on speaker so we could talk in real time. Ha, long-distance get-together '90s-style.

11-10-00: Not a good time in my life, though I was happy that my cousin Magda was flying over for a visit here. She and I usually had fun times together.

11-10-01: Wow, a day highlighted by me doing laundry, though I did get a nice email from the man I'm married to now, and saw my best friend.

11-10-02: The man I am married to now went with me over to hang out with his cousin and his cousin's wife, and even though it was November, severe weather was forecast, and we kind of ignored that, but driving back we got caught in a serious storm that was dangerous.

11-10-03: I came home the day before after being gone with my work for over a month, and Dana's son Tyler, who was four then, came over to be with me and spend the night, and he gave me a hug for every day I was away (I had to tell him when to stop, ha) and I told him a rather good (if I say so myself) tale about knights. So good to be home, and such a sweet day.

11-10-04: Even though I hate tattoos, I drew all these silly pictures on my bare legs while I was sitting home alone talking to my friend Clare.

11-10-05: My best friend suddenly came back from Merida, Mexico, and came to see me, and told me she was pregnant and had broken off her engagement. She kept saying she could not have a child, it would ruin her life, his life, the child's life. I didn't agree, but nothing I said ultimately mattered.

11-10-06: It got up to seventy-four, a record-tying temperature, then that evening my future husband and I met my parents downtown for a performance of Mahler’s Ninth Symphony, and I wore a black-scarlet dress said to look fetching.

11-10-07: Norman Mailer died (never cared for him) and because I did not have to report for my job on an air force base, I played three sets of tennis, then that evening I met for the first time the woman who would become my father’s second wife, and late that night I placed a Veteran’s Day Eve call to a former co-worker of mine from Florida, with whom I once ended up in a scary and potentially life-threatening situation. Everything turned out absolutely fine and going through that bonded us ever-after.

11-10-08: My daughter was six days old.

11-10-09: My current husband and I drove to Miami University to hear a lecture by David McCullough, and coming back we passed the spot where my cousin’s bungalow used to be, and though it had been torn down to widen  a road, it brought back personal memories of being there in 1995.

11-10-10: My spiritual advisor gave me an “assignment” to read The Book of John. I went into a convenience store and saw some teenage girl swallow four little white pills with a swig of Red Bull and then sway and announce to her friends, “Head rush!” I remember thinking I hoped my daughter never did anything like that.

11-10-11: My friend Rob's wife reported he was camping out on a sidewalk in front of a Game Stop to get Skyrim. I just went to bed and got mine the next morning.

11-10-12: We had a semi-strong earthquake rock our area, and also my friend Amy, who has since died of cancer, sent me a picture of a supposed ghost in a house in Bangor, Maine.

11-10-13: On a Sunday visit to my in-laws’ house, my two-year-old son ran amok like a typhoon, broke a glass, kicked his sister’s high chair and made her cry, and was really wound up. I had to pick him up and hold him til he went to sleep, much against his vocal objections.

11-10-14: Had a big clash with my husband over my offer to financially help my problem-plagued cousin Celia get out of the area. Biggest quarrel of our lives before or since. Honestly it was wrong of me to make Celia the promises I did without consulting him, and wrong of me to be so recalcitrant about my original position on things.

11-10-15: I had a stressful job-related day meeting with an auditor, and my husband bought Fallout 4 and played it all evening and up to bedtime.

11-10-16: My husband brought our children home caramel apples, but after one bite the apples were revealed to be rotten under the outer coating.

11-10-17: There was a blood drive down from the office where I worked part-time, and I donated. Met my almost father in law at lunch and he told me he could not donate blood because of a risk he might be a carrier of a contagion in his blood. I bought a novel called Shaman, by Kim Stanley Robinson, but didn’t like it.

11-10-18: It was Neil Gaiman’s birthday, my daughter’s soccer team won a game/match after losing several, she had some friends come over and we watched a creepy Doctor Who with the Family Blood on it.  

11-10-19: After a homeless man of questionable mental state was inappropriate toward my eleven year old daughter at the food pantry where we volunteered, a police officer said he’d come by next week. In light of the fact I was suddenly being sent to Turkey on assignment, I also resubmitted an update of my “death letters” which are the letters held in case something should happen to you, and then they are delivered to the intended recipients, who can read you telling them the sort of things you’d never quite bring yourself to say any other place. (Which is wrong, we should say those things.) Little in life makes you feel more bleakly mortal than composing those things.

11-10-20: My twelve-year-old argued with me that straight people should not be allowed to play gay people in films, and I reminded her in that case that great hate-film Brokeback Mountain never would have been made. That stopped her for a while….

11-10-21: My father in law came home after cancer surgery. He did well and remains alive. He asked we and the children please wait a couple days before we came over to see him, which we did. My husband told me he thinks his father liked me better than he does him. I told him of course that’s not true, but honestly… I wonder why so many fathers and sons are distant?

11-10-22: It was the last warm sunny day of the season, and I was outside as much as I could be. Among other things I had leaf fights with my son and I’m still finding dried leaf debris down my clothing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 06:49:52 PM by ER » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 07:07:11 PM »

On 11 November 1965, my birth country of Rhodesia gave England the finger and instituted what later became known as UDI: the Unilateral Declaration of Independence. This up yours tactic was because England had granted independence to Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) and Nyasaland (now Malawi) but refused to do the same for Southern Rhodesia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesia%27s_Unilateral_Declaration_of_Independence

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 02:50:14 AM »

11 Nov 2018: An online friend of Kristi's came around to visit. He was trying to persuade Kristi to join in his pyramid selling scheme as he wanted her to join in on the huge amounts of money he was making. I have no idea if she was tempted or not, but I gave the whole thing a flat no. He drifted out of contact with her within a year, but I did hear the whole thing had went belly up and he was having severe financial problems after he had left the orbit of our lives. He was the kind of person who gets people to like him easily, but I always feel suspicious of those types and don't let them get close.

11 Nov 2016. We were on holiday in the US. I offended Kristi's aunt by saying that most people throw out their orange pumpkins after Hallowe'en, not elect them. I pointed out to her that her frequent requests for someone to shoot the previous person in office were a lot worse. She declined to have an argument with me about it in person though. Went out to eat at Olive Garden with some of Kristi's friends and family. It was a pleasant surprise to find I got to eat for free.

11 Nov 2015. I picked out Lilly-Beth's headstone. We disliked most of the available options for children, especially the one that looked like a teddy bear, instead opting for a black marble-looking one with gold lettering. Other people wanted to pay for it and got offended that I insisted that I paid for it myself. The thought was appreciated, but it felt like the only thing I could do for her and come Hel or high water I was going to do it myself.

11 Nov 2013. I went out present shopping for Kristi. I had asked for her to stay at home (normally I had to force her to go outside) so I could get stuff without her there, but for once she decided she was coming with me in a total turnaround of our usual dynamic. It rained as heavily as it possibly could. I was wearing my apocalypse jacket, so named because we are convinced it could survive anything. I put my hands in the pockets only to discover the pockets were also waterproof and had filled up with water, drowning my ipod. Kristi has never complained about the rain in Scotland since this day. We have never seen it that heavy again so far, although she did get upset about seeing what I was buying her instead of it being a surprise.

To be fair though, by the time I actually gave her the presents I'd completely forgotten what I had bought her and it was a complete surprise to me.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 09:22:26 AM »

On this day in 2000 my cousin Magda was staying with my roommate and me on her visit to this country, and she looked through wedding catalogs with us while my roommate, Jackie, planned for a wedding that ended up never taking place. Jackie got an email from her brother, a National Park Service employee from down in southern Texas, that contained a picture which took us ten minutes to download, of him holding a diamondback rattlesnake, one of many he and a team there had caught to tag with radio devices so their movements and seasonal hibernations could be tracked. We all went to Taco Bell and Magda thought the nachos there were so good she ate a couple orders worth, which in retrospect hinted at the eventual large weight gain that would in time contribute to her early death. While at "the Bell" we got into a speculative conversation about how surely somewhere in this weird world someone was into jalapeno sex. We also talked about how the English language needed a word to tell a male cousin from a female one, so I coined the term "cousinette" which for inexplicable reasons has failed to make its way to the OED. Then we went home and I went to bed and felt puzzled about actually managing to have a good day out of the midst of my months-long state of sadness. Knowing me, I probably felt guilty about it.

November 15, 2000 laid bare.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 10:31:15 AM »

15 Nov 2016: A dinosaur spat on me.

15th Nov 2014: Kristi said she needed me to make deviled eggs. It turns out my initial guess of boiling eggs, and then drawing little devils on them turned out not to be the right one. At least I made the effort and drawing those faces wasn't easy either.

15th Nov 2013: Kristi woke me up in the middle of the night, climbing over me. When I asked what she was doing, she told me she was going to hearthstone and repair her armour. I told her to get back into bed and got an "Oh ok". To the best of my knowledge, this is the only time anyone has ever played warcraft in their sleep.

15 Nov 2009: I watched Ferris Bullers Day Off for the first (and thus far only) time. I was not impressed. I found him to be an unlikable little s**t, and while he might have gone a bit too far, his teacher was ultimately right. By the end of it, I concluded that I should be entitled to give everyone who had ever told me to watch it, a damn good slap. Maybe even a closed-fist punch.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 10:35:45 AM »

15th Nov 2014: Kristi said she needed me to make deviled eggs. It turns out my initial guess of boiling eggs, and then drawing little devils on them turned out not to be the right one. At least I made the effort and drawing those faces wasn't easy either.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 10:47:17 AM »

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Just for you Trevor, here is one of my masterpiece devil eggs.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 02:12:32 PM »

November 16, 2009: Had my friends Tara and Rob over to watch Letters From Iwo Jima, then when that got too heavy we switched to Ed Wood, which made me realize to my surprise that unlike all the times I watched the movie in the mid-‘90s, the fake baptism scene was irritating me, because the sacred does have a place in human life. Rob laughed at me saying this aloud, but he’s stuck forever in his teen years, so I didn’t care. Discussed why alcohol changes so many people’s personality for the worse, and whether non-alcoholic beer would have a placebo effect. I told Rob beer makes him sweaty, and his wife Tara said everything makes Rob sweaty. Ouch.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 10:00:16 AM »

Missed posting this yesterday because I was had the flu.

November 17, 2001 While metal detecting I found a 1920s German coin about three inches down off a well-walked pathway in a hilltop park above the city, and still wonder how it got there. Bad evening when I got home, though, as my next door neighbor, someone I loved, had to be rushed to the hospital, and due to her obesity it took two neighbor men to assist the life squad in getting her into the ambulance. She ended up OK-ish and lived almost precisely another decade, but it was the start of a series of health crises for her. I also had to fill out a stack of legal papers sent over by lawyers concerning my cousins’ monstrous father contesting our grandfather’s will, and the papers were full of mean-spiritedness, part of his campaign to make me feel giving in would be easier than enduring what he was going to put me through. Never surrender.

November 18, 1992 I took leftover tofu Pad Thai for eighth-grade lunch but found it so disgusting to look at I threw it away, though after I did I found out a boy in my class named Brad liked Pad Thai and he said he’d have eaten it. Sorry, dude. At home that night I laid in my room and contemplated how people could ever again look one another in the eyes after they’d had sex with each other. That seemed a great mystery to thirteen-year-old me. Years later I had someone ask why his wife stared at his eyes when he…finished. But I guess that’d be the opposite question.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2022, 11:38:34 AM »

November 19, 1996 I collected five boxes of donated paperback novels and drove them to my Aunt Christie’s parish in the Valley for a program that sent books to prison libraries. A boy from most of my classes, Roger Morgan, told me I should watch NOVA that night because it was about the science of shark attacks, something he and I had been talking about not long before when he asked me what animal I’d be if I had to be one, and I’d said an eagle, and when I asked him back, he said he’d be a great white shark. Roger Morgan was a very controlling sort of person, undeniably a genius but audacious and unrestrained. His mother was a nice hippie lady who used to smoke pot with him and when I’d go to her house she’d give me “chakra-clearing power hugs” she said she learned in India, but she had encouraged Roger Morgan do basically anything he wanted all his life without consequence, with the result being a perfect super-villain type in the making. I have NO idea whatever ultimately became of that fearless brainiac boy, but if I one day heard he had an island lair and minions to command, I wouldn’t be that surprised.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 01:00:02 PM »

19th Nov 2017. I spent much of the day searching for the specific term used to describe the murder of a priest. I found many terms for the killing of different ranks of holy men/women.

19th Nov 2016. Went to see the Hoover Dam. This was down to my love of Fallout games. Walking song the top felt like walking along the edge of a piece of paper. There were many other tourists from other regions of the world, some of whom expected Kristi to move out of their way because she was a woman, rather than being gentlemen and stepping out of her way. I simply stood in front of them and glared at them defiantly until they corrected their mistake.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 01:06:18 PM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 05:16:34 AM »

20th Nov 2014. I took Kristi to meet the Queen today. She was tiny. Recently, a co-worker would tell me that it wasn't the Queen, but instead a clone. They'd killed the immortal lizard creature that was the intrusion of a higher dimension being into our reality and replaced her with something grown in a vat. They'd done the same to prince (now King) Charles. If they'd cloned her, why wasn't the clone an immortal lizard person still?

I wonder how they killed an immortal being? And did they just kill the part that was intruding into our dimension or the whole thing? Couldn't they have killed Andy as well? So many questions, and no sane answers.

Regardless of Mark's conspiracy theories, the highlight of the day was when an officer taking part in the parade (who was wearing leather-soled shoes that are specifically banned for use in aircraft hangers for this very reason), slipped and fell. His scabbard and sword were around his neck, while his medals went flying. He then picked himself up and started to sort his uniform out himself which was another mistake.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 11:49:32 AM »

November 20, 1994 Still not entirely better after nearly cashing in my chips in an accident that October, I stayed home from church for the fourth week in a row (my mom never previously allowed me to miss) and my dad stayed with me and we played Risk. Doctors said I needed to eat more sugar while I was still replenishing lost blood, so my mom brought home the unlikely combination of donuts and orange juice, and said if I mentioned calories she was going to scream blue murder, so semi-anorexic young me actually consumed this sugar-fest with a clear conscience. Then later I was on the phone with a college student and asked him to tell me a story from his life, so he said when he was seven his dad’s company gave out tickets to an NFL playoff game that determined who was going to the Super Bowl, and it was the coldest NFL game ever, about sixty below zero with the wind chill,  and his dad kept him under a thick blanket and kept giving him hot chocolate, so eventually he had to pee but it was cold and the lines were long, so in the best tradition of dads, his father slipped him a big cup and said, “You’re under a blanket, pee in this. Nobody will know.” So he did and they put it under the seat, where, by the time they left, it had frozen solid. That was so inappropriate I thought it was hilarious.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  On This Day: Your History « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.