Main Menu

horrors / slashers 2002-2008, give them to me...

Started by zombie no.one, December 31, 2023, 06:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie no.one

most of the big 80s franchises had dried up by this point, and the FINAL DESTINATION and SAW serieses were in full swing, but what others are there from this era? good or bad...

a couple that me and some friends managed to hire from blockbuster on more than one occasion were

SHROOMS (2007)

and PIG HUNT (2008)

neither of these were especially good but passable in a trashy way

- don't bother listing re-makes btw, not bothered about those....
please do not mock my potato.

chainsaw midget

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) is a must see. 

The Hatchet series also started in 2006.

There was a Cheerleader Massacre and a Sleepover Massacre, both done in the Slumper Party Massacre/Sorority House Massacre style, although neither seemed to reach the highs of B-movie schlock that the originals did. 

There's  S.I.C.K. Serial Insane Clown Killer, which is one of the first movies I think I ever wrote about here.  It's pathetically bad. 

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane also came out in this time.  I've never seen it, but I remember there used to be quite a bit of talk about it.

zombie no.one

Quote from: chainsaw midget on December 31, 2023, 07:24:48 AM
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) is a must see.  

thanks, have heard of this title and good things about it. will def check it out

Quote from: chainsaw midget on December 31, 2023, 07:24:48 AM
All the Boys Love Mandy Lane also came out in this time.  I've never seen it, but I remember there used to be quite a bit of talk about it.

can't actually remember if I've seen this? I do also remember a buzz on release

claws

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, there was a bit of Spanish horror hype. From that time was

Darkness (2002) however, the Weinsteins fiddled around with the movie, made changes and edited for PG-13.

Wishcraft (2002) was riding the Urban Legend (1998) bandwagon, mixing slasher with the supernatural.

Demon Under Glass (2002) has an interesting take on vampires.

Dead End (2003) remains a hidden gem.

Monster Man (2003) has a following, and is pretty much Wrong Turn (2002) on wheels.

Black Cadillac (2003) got a bit of buzz on horror forums back in the day.
Is it October yet?

zombie no.one

M.10rda

Claws, yours is the only online mention of DEMON UNDER GLASS I believe I've ever seen. I watched it once on a 4-pack circa 2003. Slow yet not uninteresting, plus a few howlingly funny lines of (intentionally?) cheesy dialogue...

Cult_Moody_Movies

While the 2000's were better over the yuppie Scream era of 90's horror.......it's not saying much. I would mostly saying the 2000's my favs steered away from slashers in favor of other genres.

This one was all the rage amoung some of my friends and directed by Jeff Lieberman (of Squirm).

Satan's Little Helper (2004)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5kHZXUkLTQ

Cult_Moody_Movies

A guilty pleasure of mine, an extremely poor Friday the 13th rip off.

Bloody Murder (2000)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyeRpLw4BgY

Bloody Murder 2: Closing Camp (2003)

zombie no.one

wow yeah that killer looks familiar.

Camp Placid Pines... sounds like something's bound to go wrong at that place

zombie no.one

MARTYRS (2008) tried something a little different, but wasn't really to my taste.

of course we got REC and PARANORMAL ACTIVITY in 2007. thought both of these were good, but had zero replay value.

Quote from: claws on December 31, 2023, 09:55:51 AM

Monster Man (2003) has a following, and is pretty much Wrong Turn (2002) on wheels.

Black Cadillac (2003) got a bit of buzz on horror forums back in the day.

I'm a sucker for 'people being chased by evil guys in vehicles' type movies ( probably going back to seeing DUEL as a kid). will check those 2 out

Alex

I can confirm that Monster Man is good (silly) fun. Highwaymen(2004) is a more serious take on the genre and there is always Joy Ride.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

zombie no.one

Quote from: Alex on December 31, 2023, 01:27:30 PM
and there is always Joy Ride.

another one I'm not sure if I watched or not ... don't know HIGHWAYMEN, added to the list

Cult_Moody_Movies

Gory but not a traditional slasher. While it has elements of "edge lord decade", I actually cared about the characters.

Inside (2007) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRGQKiR1WRs

Alex

Oh, if you don't mind foreign language movies, might I suggest Frontiers (2007).
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

zombie no.one

Quote from: Cult_Moody_Movies on December 31, 2023, 02:17:36 PM
Gory but not a traditional slasher. While it has elements of "edge lord decade", I actually cared about the characters.

Inside (2007) -

Quote from: Alex on December 31, 2023, 02:25:10 PM
Oh, if you don't mind foreign language movies, might I suggest Frontiers (2007).

it's probably just pure laziness, but I seem to have a really hard time with subtitled movies.

ironically I was fluent in french as a kid (lived and went to school there for a while) but it has nearly all gone now. couldn't understand a word