Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:13:42 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Has the atmosphere changed? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Has the atmosphere changed?  (Read 15214 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: January 15, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »

It was mentioned by Trek_Geezer who's sadly apparently left the site that the atmosphere on here has changed. Do you think that's really true? Ash before him mentioned something similar? Granted there does seem to be a lot of new people on here compared to yesteryear and I've seen a lot of notable and quality posters sadly visit here less and less. Is it because perhaps they just got busier in their own everyday lives or is it the level of discussion and topics on here? Is it just a case of things getting stale because we've all discussed the same things here and elsewhere over and over again so many times, so many of the same topics, same style topics being put up again and yet again. Perhaps it's the growth here in youthful posters and in off topic discussion?  Still with said youthful posters I've found some of them to be surprisingly knowledgable and willing to look into older fare although some seem to know nothing of anything before the 1980s. Not sure what it is, the place does seem to have gotten stale. I myself search for things to post and often don't know what to post about whereas I was a frequent poster starting new topics on other older forums. Perhaps it's just that my life now is busier and I personally don't have as much time for online posting. Perhaps others are feeling the same? But has the atmosphere changed? I'm personally not sure it truly has...it's stil bad movie fans posting about bad movies only now there's a lot of posting about other stuff too. Some key posters who enliven the place aren't posting here as much, the draw of Facebook is no doubt partially to blame for some of this too. So what do you think?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:37:39 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:41:04 PM »

You're asking the blind if they've seen anything.

zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »

the important thing is to not take it too seriously IMO.  after all, it's 'only' a messageboard...getting hung up on it is probably a sign of investing too much emotion into a bunch of words on a screen. - not to take anything away from this place however, which is probably the nicest/friendliest messageboard community of any that I'm a member of on the net...but at the end of the day it shouldn't be a reason to stress out if you percieve it to be 'different' from before...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
claws
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:04:19 AM »

Gotta blame the increase of political threads and name changes  Wink
I guess people are missing the good old days when they first singed up. More familiar people back then, lots of newbies now.
I noticed the "atmosphere changed" reason for leaving message boards mentioned quite often over the years though.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:56:36 AM by claws » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:20:46 AM »

I think it's mainly because there's been a lot of new regulars (not that that's a bad thing) and that there's been a big influx of all the repetitive threads like the "games" and "ask me anything" crap. Things like that in my opinion have made reading the forum a bit more tiresome when I have actually found the time. I also think it's because lots of people have just become very busy in reality and haven't found time to check in and contribute more. We seem to have gotten farther and farther away from the thing that brought us all here originally.....Bad Movies! I see more of a focus on current cultural crap, so I find myself getting all angsty about subjects than all geeky and gushy over all the nostalgic stuff when I first joined.

But hey, that's just my take on it.  Smile

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:47:27 AM »

I've been on here for 5 years now, and I don't see that big a change.  There has always been some back and forth over politics, religion, and current events, but it is first and foremost a movie board.  PErsonally, I skip all the silly FAME OR SHAME stuff, but it doesn't spoil the forum for me.  We have lost some old timers, but we've had some  new guys join that I really like, too.

Of course, maybe I'm the one running everyone off??? Buggedout

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »

I don't notice any change in the atmosphere of this place.  Plenty of topics about movies, and OT stuff doesn't take away from that number.  Over the years people get to know each other and develop friendships, and you can hardly expect them to never talk about anything except movies.  That would be rather cold and impersonal.

I dunno, I post at another site that has about 20 times the traffic of this one, and it's just the same old people posting the same old stuff day after day.  People complain it's boring, then you get new people and it changes a bit, so they complain about the change.

Whatever.  No single site is ever going to hold a person in rapt attention for years on end. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »

To me this site is still home and you guys and gals are still family.

There's been no change as far as I can see.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:59:01 AM »

I do think it has changed.  But change is inevitable.  I'm staying here until I get kicked out.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »

Bluesad  Every time I see one of these "this place has changed" threads, I feel guilty.  My own contributions are mainly in the area that gets decried.   Bluesad   It makes me sad to think that I may be part of the problem.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »

Bluesad  Every time I see one of these "this place has changed" threads, I feel guilty.  My own contributions are mainly in the area that gets decried.   Bluesad   It makes me sad to think that I may be part of the problem.

There's no real problem as I see it Newt, and you are certainly not part of it. Things have changed a little bit and they will no doubt change again at some point in the future. There will be new people, older members will leave and small conflicts will pop up now and then. It's just the way it goes. We all just need to be adaptive beasts in our big green incubator...

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »

I think things here have changed somewhat (I think I originally joined the forum around 2000). However, as Burgo said, change is inevitable. And some people will leave, while others will come in. That's life. I was sorry to see Trek leave, but that was his decision. He was an integral part of the board for years. I have thought about leaving sometimes when I get a bit bored, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't post a lot, and I don't fool myself into thinking I'd be terribly missed if I did leave, but I do still enjoy enough things about this place that I want to stick around.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »

I like chatting online with people who have similar interests so I'm cool with this place.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:17 AM »

I haven't been here long enough to notice any real "changes" but I'm diggin' it here, for whatever that's worth.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »

Has the atmosphere changes?  Oh, yes; most certainly.

That will bug some more than others.

Interesting thing about forums, really.  I know one topic-driven forum that almost never has off-topic discussion.  There is an off-topic board on that forum, and it's rarely used.

There's just something about that forum that keeps the members very focused and tight-knit.  It's the only forum I've seen like that...and as such, there are rare disagreements and the 'signal to noise' is extremely high.

The "noise" here has gotten very high compared to earlier years.  That's not a criticism or a slam...just an observation.  I think I first started lurking in 1998 or so and know I posted pre-2002.  The discussion then were almost always movie "based."

What I mean by that is that we'd talk "other stuff," but it always seemed to be directly related to a movie discussion.  If we got off on a science or political topic, it was born from "I saw in this movie...."  Or, it seems that way to me.

This is the board we have now.  New blood, some old timers, some have left...like any social group evolves over time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Has the atmosphere changed? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.