Main Menu

Recent Viewings, Part 2

Started by Rev. Powell, February 15, 2020, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMerchant

Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Rev. Powell

THE FABULOUS BARON MUNCHAUSEN [BARON PRASIL] (1962): An astronaut discovers Baron Muchausen living on the moon, and they fly back to earth on a sailing ship drawn by flying horses to rescue a woman abducted by a sultan. Karel Zeman advances his craft by taking the visual style of INVENTION FOR DESTRUCTION---a mix of cutout animation and live actors on highly artificial sets---and adding vivid color and a dashingly comic Baron. 4.5/5.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

RCMerchant

Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 27, 2020, 08:42:26 AM
THE FABULOUS BARON MUNCHAUSEN [BARON PRASIL] (1962): An astronaut discovers Baron Muchausen living on the moon, and they fly back to earth on a sailing ship drawn by flying horses to rescue a woman abducted by a sultan. Karel Zeman advances his craft by taking the visual style of INVENTION FOR DESTRUCTION---a mix of cutout animation and live actors on highly artificial sets---and adding vivid color and a dashingly comic Baron. 4.5/5.

I LOVE Zeman! He's like a latter day George Melies.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

Rev. Powell

Quote from: RCMerchant on August 27, 2020, 08:46:30 AM

And you can see that Terry Gilliam stole quite a bit from him for his Monty Python animations.

RCMerchant

Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 27, 2020, 08:49:24 AM
Quote from: RCMerchant on August 27, 2020, 08:46:30 AM

And you can see that Terry Gilliam stole quite a bit from him for his Monty Python animations.

Oh yeah! The man was a genius at his craft!
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

ER

Doctor Who versus the Daleks.

Wow.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

FatFreddysCat

"The Unholy" (1988)
A Catholic priest (Ben Cross) with a troubled past is assigned to re-open a run-down parish in New Orleans, and proceeds to do battle with the demonic force that killed his two predecessors.
A throwback to the "devil" movies of the '70s (think "The Exorcist" or "The Omen," updated with lots of flashy '80s music-video style lighting and dry ice), featuring the always dependable Hal Holbrook and Ned Beatty in supporting roles. There's some splashy gore and some hilariously cheesy creature effects, but in the end "The Unholy" turned out to be an entertaining slab of '80s B-horror.
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

RCMerchant

Quote from: ER on August 27, 2020, 10:40:57 AM
Doctor Who versus the Daleks.

Wow.

My favorite Dr.Who is Peter Cushing.  :thumbup:

Slobber, Drool, Drip!

Allhallowsday

Quote from: RCMerchant on August 27, 2020, 06:59:40 PM
...My favorite Dr.Who is Peter Cushing.  :thumbup:

I saw the end of LAURENCE OLIVIER's HAMLET (1949) yesterday and was delighted to see a very young PETER CUSHING in a part there !!!  I like PETER CUSHING!!!
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

RCMerchant

He was also in Laurel and Hardy's A CHUMP AT OXFORD (1939)! 

Slobber, Drool, Drip!

Allhallowsday

Quote from: RCMerchant on August 27, 2020, 08:35:42 PM
He was also in Laurel and Hardy's A CHUMP AT OXFORD (1939)!  

Oh cool!!!  

Here he is in HAMLET (1949) :

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

lester1/2jr

1 Br (2019) - The scenario isn't remotely believable, but luckily they made sure to not have any humor, sex, or interesting cinematography either. blandly watchable, passionless, cliched... netflix instant par excellence  1/5

indianasmith

CAROUSHELL (2016)  I must say, this was the best movie about a carousel unicorn serial killer I have ever seen, and I think I have seen them all.
Blood!  Decapitations!  Unicorn sex!  Bad puns!  Irate pizza delivery guys!  A goofy cowboy mascot!  A kid named "Lunchbox!"

Throw away your Picassos, CAROUSHELL is the only art you will ever need!!!!   5/5
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

indianasmith

NINJAS VS. VAMPIRES - A group of wisecracking ninjas take on an evil vampire lord with the aid of a witch and a good vampire.   A couple of local teens get sucked into the conflict and the guy decides to join forces with the ninja to protect his lady love.  This was low-budget, but done with a lot of heart.  The swordplay and martial arts are impressive, and the vampire effects were surprisingly goof for a movie made on a shoestring.  Turns out this is the middle movie of a trilogy; I'm motivated enough now to go watch the other two.  Free on Amazon Prime, but I woulda paid the $3 rental fee for this one!
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Rev. Powell

SHAKESPEARE'S s**tSTORM (2020): Very loosely following the plot of Shakespeare's "The Tempest," the story involves a party ship packed with pharmaceutical executives washed up on the shores of Troma, New Jersey, after a storm of whale feces. "s**tstorm" may not be quite as surreal as "Tromeo & Juliet," but it represents a capstone Troma's transgressive punk aesthetic; it may just be their most offensive movie yet---and one of their smartest and funniest. I saw it via Fantasia Festival online; not sure when it will be widely available, but a lot of folks here should remember to look for it. 4/5.