What TV Shows Are you Watching?

Started by Rev. Powell, January 25, 2022, 09:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Alex on November 09, 2022, 03:36:05 PM
Quote from: Rev. Powell on November 09, 2022, 01:18:53 PM
Quote from: Alex on November 07, 2022, 01:02:25 PM
Quote from: Rev. Powell on November 07, 2022, 08:48:58 AM
Third was better than the second which was better than the first. I like how this is trending.

Let me know when you've watched episode 5, Pickman's Model.

Very good, solid Lovecraft adaptation! I also liked episode 4, "Outsider," which was a nice black comedy change of pace. This is a high-quality anthology series.

The only thing I didn't like about that episode was Glover's accent. I was wondering if it was an accurate one?

It sounded like a New York accent to me. The scenario was set in Boston but a New York native could easily have attended school there. The choice was strange on Glover's part but I ended up liking it.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

ER

Perry Mason on HBO. I still think the real subplot was he was a Russian spy.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

Rev. Powell

Finished "Cabinet of Curiosities." An excellent series, even the weaker offerings were good. I'd rank them

The Autopsy
The Viewing
The Outside
Pickman's Model
Graveyard Rats
Lot 36
The Murmuring
Dreams in the Witch House

Also sort-of watching the Netflix sitcom "Blockbuster," about the last Blockbuster store operating in the US. It's... OK. My dad likes it, so I watch it with him sometimes when I'm at his house.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Trevor

As soon as I get my satellite dish up and working again after three years 😳 I will see what Starsat has to offer for USD30 per month.

Probably a lot of political 💩💩 with very few movies and sport. 😝😝
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Morpheus, the unwoke.

Wednesday.

Saw a few eps at a friend's place, binged the rest. Damn flu won't let me sleep. I like it all in all, good Tim Burton fantasy and family stuff.
They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?" ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.

Ticonderoga 64

The Walking Dead
Chucky
American Horror Story: NYC
Destination Fear
On Patrol Live
Mysteries Of the Deep

bob

I'm working my way through this miniseries I bought because I wanted to learn more about WW2

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa, Villeneuve - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

ralfy

Andor: something like half of it is clunky, and it can be streamlined some more. It's not as bad as Obi-Wan and Boba Fett, but not as good as Mandalorian.

Cobrai Kai is notable because it manages to roll along even with a convoluted plot. Stranger Things, however, hasn't done that for the recent season.

I saw the first two-hour episode of Dark Skies (1996), and it looks OK.

Fish and others are not very funny, and I understand why they were cancelled early on. I also couldn't continue with The Ropers, and was surprised to realize that after re-watching Cheers, I found it over-rated, especially in contrast to most episodes of Frasier.

I tried Step by Step, and I think there's something wrong with the chemistry of characters, e.g., the kids sound unnecessarily mean towards their step-parents, but it's supposed to be the source of conflict of many episodes.

After decades of watching gore, instead of becoming de-sensitized, I've become too much of a fraidy-cat. That's why I don't feel like watching shows like Cabinet and Midnight Mass, although I hear they're very good.

I did try Picard for a few episodes, and that was a nightmare because it was gory and very anti-Trek. STD is a bit better, but the storytelling and characterization are terrible.

ralfy

The War is fine, but also check out World at War, at least for artistic merits. And with Burns' Vietnam, also The Ten Thousand Day War.

bob

Quote from: ralfy on December 03, 2022, 10:31:01 PM
The War is fine, but also check out World at War, at least for artistic merits. And with Burns' Vietnam, also The Ten Thousand Day War.

I also bought Burns' Vietnam ministers (for the same reason I bought The War) and will start it once I finish The War
Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa, Villeneuve - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

bob

Quote from: bob on December 04, 2022, 02:45:13 PM
Quote from: ralfy on December 03, 2022, 10:31:01 PM

I also bought Burns' Vietnam ministers (for the same reason I bought The War) and will start it once I finish The War

started this tonight

ER

I'm down to watching just four regular series on broadcast TV: Penn & Teller Fool Us, Ghosts, Young Sheldon, and Quantum Leap. Everything else is either streaming or YouTube.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

Alex

I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

lester1/2jr

Charlie's Angels season one on the tubi

Alex

Japanese Tales of the Macabre.

Animated Japanese horror stories. The stories are interesting, although they don't always have a traditional structure, make sense or have a resolution. Both the music over the opening and closing credits are annoying although for different reasons. The disjointed closing song is especially grating though, even if it suits the show. It reminds me a lot of the manga I used to watch in the 80s.

Oh and at the very end of the credits is a short easter egg story.

On Netflix.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness