Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:55:55 AM
712923 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 75
Author Topic: Alex's even longer post thread.  (Read 198625 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #630 on: September 06, 2022, 01:09:26 PM »

Woohoo, finally made 10,000 posts.

Watch out for the dreaded LEET when you hit 1337 😉🐢

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #631 on: September 06, 2022, 02:22:09 PM »

This won't mean anything to anyone else, but I am posting it here in case I need to use it in the future.

Yeadz — Today at 8:23 AM
So Juan is RAW

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #632 on: September 10, 2022, 04:02:38 PM »

So the queen has died, we now have King Charles III on the throne. Tomorrow, her body will be transported from Balmoral to Edinburgh (via Dundee and Edinburgh), where it will presumably stay for a short time before being transported down to London.

The person who has been the head of state for my entire life is gone and how do I feel about it? Honestly, got nothing. I don't feel happy or sad. Respected her for her work ethic. She spent her life in a gilded cage and she did her duty until the day she died, but ultimately I am it doesn't change anything for me on the ground. Maybe that is because I've had my own funerals to deal with recently, maybe I am just a soulless engineer. I never thought of her as the nation's grandmother, but I never thought of her as a bad person either. Only met her the once. I have been asked if I could see any lizard fangs or slitted reptilian eyes, but from what I could see she was normal, just a fairly frail old woman.

Gina's funeral went fine as far as these things go I guess. No one who wasn't supposed to turned up which meant I didn't punch them out, and someone else pushed me a little, but not enough for me to punch them. I'll call that a win. I've decided not to go to their birthday party later this month though. I don't want to have another fight on another of their birthdays. I've already had to make that journey twice this month and we think it is affecting Ash and causing the issues we've been having with his behaviour, so that is another big reason not to go.

Getting another person into playing D&D. This one is an ex-US army veteran who is now disabled and living in Norway where he DJ's a heavy metal show on Wednesdays.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #633 on: September 11, 2022, 11:52:53 PM »

something I wrote for a drive thing for our park

I'm a regular at Waltham and sometimes give little beginner lessons to newbies who show up. One day, a young girl was there with her Mom. She was so nervous or timid or something that she wouldn't allow her Mom to watch her. The Mom had to stand behind the sign and look the other way as she tried to drop in on the mini ramp. She wasn't making much progress, so I offered to help. There's a technique, if you hold a persons hands when they drop in they can go for it and if they fail you're there to catch them.

She immediately reached her hands out. Eventually she got it. After that, I steered her towards the parks somewhat ridiculous "two bumps" because I thought she had a better chance of doing that on her own. By now, the Mom had circled back into the good graces of the daughter and we were working together. She had trouble lining the board up to go over the first bump but eventually she got it. I remember her skateboard was covered with dozens of stickers. Most boards have like maybe one or two. Anyway, I felt she could manage the two bumps alone and encouraged her to go for it. She made the first bump and my hands were extended for the second one but I held back. Her hands were also extended but she also held back and boom she made it over by herself. She left very happy that day. so was the Mom. All of this took place in 15 minutes. stuff like this happens all the time
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #634 on: September 12, 2022, 01:39:14 AM »

Feels strange to hear King Charles. Kristi wanted to go into Elgin yesterday to see the official proclamation being made. All the local "great and good" were there. All the local politicians, local chief of police, the heads of both local military camps and an air commodore. I am guessing he is the head of air command Scotland.

A reporter interviewed Kristi. I think when he heard her American accent he was digging for some sort of controversial anti-monarchist comment. She was just there because she felt it was a historical event more than anything else and kept her replies carefully politically neutral.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #635 on: September 12, 2022, 12:57:55 PM »

Feels strange to hear King Charles. Kristi wanted to go into Elgin yesterday to see the official proclamation being made. All the local "great and good" were there. All the local politicians, local chief of police, the heads of both local military camps and an air commodore. I am guessing he is the head of air command Scotland.

A reporter interviewed Kristi. I think when he heard her American accent he was digging for some sort of controversial anti-monarchist comment. She was just there because she felt it was a historical event more than anything else and kept her replies carefully politically neutral.

There's a number of SA politicians who have spoken out against the "colonisers" and actually been happy that the Queen passed 😳

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #636 on: September 12, 2022, 03:26:09 PM »

There's a number of SA politicians who have spoken out against the "colonisers" and actually been happy that the Queen passed 😳

Since it didn't happen under her reign (and was actually forbidden by person who was the queen at the time, but orders from the top were ignored in favour of personal glory (for example the Zulu War was completely against orders)) I am not sure what they think it will achieve. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though. I've seen everything from people sobbing their hearts out over her being gone to others celebrating. Ultimately I guess neither stance will really achieve anything and just comes down to each person's conscience.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #637 on: September 15, 2022, 07:15:03 AM »

I got told today that a fairly simple suggestion I made at work recently is going to save £350,000 a year.

Wonder how much of that money I'll get to see?  BounceGiggle

It is nice to see something I came up with changing how things are done, even if only a little and making people's lives a lot easier. I'd reckon if that number is true (and to be honest I rather doubt it, even if it is something that is being adopted as so-called "Best Practise"), then that justifies my entire career and pension.

A bonus wouldn't go amiss though.  Twirling

Ready for the news to actually tell me about other things that are going on in the world. Yes, the queen is dead and that is sad, but I am not sure what purpose is really served by them live streaming the entire procession (ok, I can understand that to a degree), and then constantly showing the inside of Westminster and people shuffling around the coffin. By all means, give it coverage, show the funeral service for anyone who wants to watch it but surely there are other things happening in the world outside?

I do feel a lot of sympathy for her family. They are obviously not getting any time to grieve quietly or privately, which shows that people haven't really changed from when (and this is the first royal funeral I can recall) Diana died and everyone wanted a piece of her family. That kind of pressure must have had consequences for her sons, even if the queen did her best to shield them from that. I do remember her not really being allowed by public pressure to protect them as much as they'd wanted to, although I don't think their grandfather making them walk behind the coffin was the best idea either. Then again, he (Phillip) was my 2nd least favourite out of that family.

Then again, I am not in their position. Maybe they are fine with it all.

Our latest D&D session descended into fart jokes (my fault as it happens. We came across a large crowd of panicking refugees with a couple of military personnel trying to restore order. I used a spell to make it seem like the leader had done a really loud trump. This did have the desired effect of diffusing the tension as the crowd immediately fell into peels of laughter. I then quietened all the children who were running about wild with a hypnosis spell. It all gave everyone a good chuckle and really showed the nature of my character in the game.

I was sorting through some paperwork for me leaving when I got a text from the son of a friend saying he was thinking about joining the RAF and would I recommend it. Talk about the wrong time to ask lol. I have not had a bad time in my career. Yes, there was a 3-year low point when I was miserable, but there were also 7 years when I was incredibly happy with it, and 12 years when it has just been a job, nothing more and nothing less.

I got a survey from a local church asking me what I thought they should be doing in the modern age. Seems it is having some sort of relaunch. I said they should be offering people shelter if they can't afford to keep warm at home, that they could help out organising local food banks, even just checking up on elderly parishioners. Too much singing songs about how we are worthless and nothing without sky daddy and not enough actual helping folks imo. Them doing that wouldn't persuade me to attend a church service in itself, but I might volunteer to help out helping people.

Wonder if any god has ever helped out on a soup kitchen line?

Every day this week, a different person has said "Hey Alex" as I've passed them by and each time I have had absolutely no idea who they are or how they know me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 12:52:15 PM by Alex » Logged

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #638 on: September 15, 2022, 09:58:23 AM »

I do feel a lot of sympathy for her family. They are obviously not getting any time to grieve quietly or privately, which shows that people haven't really changed from when (and this is the first royal funeral I can recall) Diana died and everyone wanted a piece of her family. That kind of pressure must have had consequences for her sons, even if the queen did her best to shield them from that. I do remember her not really being allowed by public pressure to protect them as much as they'd wanted to, although I don't think their grandfather making them walk behind the coffin was the best idea either. Then again, he (Phillip) was my 2nd least favourite out of that family.

I remember the anger directed at the Queen for her 'coldness' after Diana died when she did not speak publicly and then she only spoke up after 5 days under huge public pressure. Diana's former employer Mary Robertson said that a lot of people at the funeral didn't sing God Save The Queen and one person behind her said "I hope the old ***** drops dead tomorrow."  Buggedout

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #639 on: September 15, 2022, 11:23:53 AM »

I remember the anger directed at the Queen for her 'coldness' after Diana died when she did not speak publicly and then she only spoke up after 5 days under huge public pressure. Diana's former employer Mary Robertson said that a lot of people at the funeral didn't sing God Save The Queen and one person behind her said "I hope the old ***** drops dead tomorrow."  Buggedout

I found two things odd about that reaction. One was as mentioned above. The other was why people thought the Queen should speak about Diana at all. I got the impression that relations between them weren't exactly cordial. To me, it would be like asking the mother of an ex-girlfriend I'd had a bad relationship and didn't get on with either of them to speak at my funeral. Obviously, though many people felt very differently.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #640 on: September 16, 2022, 10:21:27 AM »

Another Friday has been reached! Next week I get the joy of going for a resettlement brief, after which I can start using my 35 days of resettlement.

Counting back from my outdate, I could have worked my last day in uniform at the end of March.

Ooooh, that feels good.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #641 on: September 18, 2022, 12:00:44 PM »

Well, the 18th of September has rolled around again, and once more it has been a tough week to get through but we've managed it.

We went out to the cemetery today and put some fresh flowers down, read Lilly-Beth a story (Mr Adventure), and tidied up the graveside. Ash as usual just see's it as a big wide space to run around in, so one of us has to hold him do he doesn't go doing exactly that. I did try bribing him with a chocolate bar to try and get him to stand still but to no avail. Anyway, between us we managed to get a couple of bunches of flowers down.

The little pot with the santa stuff on it was a christmas tree that someone put in a couple of years ago. It had died that last time I was up, but I am figuring I might put something in there later this year.

I just wanted some peace and quiet to reflect, Kristi wanted to talk constantly. I think my one-word answers and the generally one-sided conversations finally got through and I did get 10 minutes or so of quiet on the walk home. Seems to have been all I was needing. I felt better and put for engaging in normal conversations afterwards. We went for a meal in the local American diner that Kristi likes to go to. Not that she has much choice. While we have plenty of choices of Asian, Italian and middle eastern (well Turkish) places to eat, the next closest American diner-style place I know of is down in Glasgow since the one in Inverness went out of business.

I don't generally count McDonalds and its ilk as being places to eat as I am not convinced anything from those places actually has the nutritional benefits that I like to associate with real, actual food. You won't often catch me in any fast food place, and if I am in one, the chances are it is the Subway on base. Mind you, they do a pretty good job of taking the fast out of fast food there. Anyone who goes there to grab a quick bite to eat over lunch is in for disappointment and a hungry afternoon when their lunch hour has finished and they still haven't been served.

Heading down to Coningsby next Sunday to spend a week meeting my counterparts down south. Only I've signed up for a three-day course down there, so rather than spending a week with them, I'll be part of the course photograph, then join them for a curry night at some point, but beyond that, I won't really see them. Especially since we couldn't get accommodation at Coningsby and will actually be staying at another camp 45 minutes away. If I wasn't leaving shortly (potentially I've got my last working day back to the end of March), I might make more of an effort to get to know them, but since I won't remember their faces or names a week or two after we get back and the chances are that I'll never see or speak to any of them again I figure it isn't worth the effort.

Unless I interact with someone on a very regular basis they tend to get filed away under "Disposable". That would explain why I managed 4 consecutive days of being greeted by name by people I had no idea who the hell they were.

Ash has discovered that he can watch videos of trains on Youtube. Just stuff that people have recorded standing at a train station where they excitedly announced "And this is the 61113 coming in." Well, everyone has their own obsession and no one outside of that hobby understands it. I can think of worse things to be happy about.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #642 on: September 19, 2022, 05:08:11 AM »

Got up this morning to 25 DM's from the new D&D player begging me not to kill him off early.

I won't deliberately, but I make no promises.

I was talking to the local games shop owner, Pete. He was telling me that before the Ukrainian invasion, Soviet WW2 troops were one of his biggest sellers and then since that, nothing. I can understand that. I've not felt like playing my Soviet troops.

Been falling behind on my movie watching this month. I need to watch at least 3 today to catch up. When I have to go away for a week at the end of this week I am doubtless going to lose some more ground there. Got a lot of recent horror films I'd like to see, but they all seem to be on streaming services I don't currently have.

Kristi is watching the royal funeral. Got no interest in sitting watching it happen myself. I get to go to enough friends and family funerals without watching those of strangers.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:12:26 AM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #643 on: September 19, 2022, 02:39:15 PM »

Well, it is all over and done with. Hopefully, after tomorrow I can find out what else is happening elsewhere in the world, even if pretty much all the major world leaders are here. Putin wasn't invited (no surprise there really and to be honest, despite his antics I don't know that I would consider him a major leader. All he can do is shout about firing nukes, but in the full knowledge that should he press that button, within half an hour his own country would be ashes too. Enjoy your short-lived victory) and the president of China sent his deputy. Iran, North Korea, Belarus and some other places were left off the guest list. Bit of controversy over the inclusion of China, and the usual American insistence that they get treated under different rules than everyone else. I can only imagine the behind-the-scenes arguing over who gets to sit where for the service.

Seems like a whole bunch of spoiled children to me. My country should be here because of.... Get a grip and grow up. You are a sideshow at someone else's funeral, not the main event.

Oh well, not my problem to deal with.

I wonder how many other figures on the world stage would attract the same level of attendance?

The only thing good I can say about the whole thing is that it was an extra day off work and this will be a nice short one week at work. On Sunday though I'll need to travel down to Coningsby for a week. Bit of a pain, but it comes with the job. They are running out of time to mess me around like this though. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the last time they send me somewhere. Anything else should be me going to do resettlement courses.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #644 on: September 19, 2022, 03:19:15 PM »

"The great pharaoh Cheops announces one day to his ministers that he has decided not to follow in his father's footsteps, not to build a pyramid. Panicked at this abandonment of tradition, the Pharaoh's ministers convene among themselves, then present their case, a triumph of political and economic irony that speaks to modern governments (totalitarian and otherwise) as well.

To wit, that the pyramids were conceived as a solution to the vexing problem of societal success and wealth. As Egyptians became more prosperous, they became more independent, with freer minds that were more resistant to the Pharaoh's authority. Hence, the pyramids were intended to weigh down the populace, drain away its wealth and vitality with a public works project that would render the people more submissive and manageable. Cheops relents before this impeccable logic, and thus begins the design of Egypt's most magnificent pyramid."

https://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Ismail-Kadare/dp/1559703148
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 75
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.