Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:06:55 PM
715446 Posts in 53138 Topics by 7762 Members
Latest Member: HoustonJac
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Personal Questions « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 99
Author Topic: Personal Questions  (Read 110653 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1335 on: October 20, 2023, 10:52:48 AM »

One hour of conversation, in your vernacular, with any dead person in all of history. Assuming you'd do it, with whom would you speak?

Me, I'd skip the famous and talk to my grandma.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1336 on: October 20, 2023, 05:58:24 PM »

Abraham Lincoln would top that list.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1337 on: October 21, 2023, 08:33:21 AM »

Today's question is also something of a statement:

If it outrages you that slavery existed in the United States 160 years ago among people long dead, why are you not transferring that otherwise empty outrage into doing something to fight slavery in the world today?

If curious, some ways you can push back against slavery include: Writing elected officials and calling their attention to human trafficking and other forms of slavery in the 21st century. Contributing time and or money to agencies that combat slavery. Even making others aware that it exists for potentially millions of people and that we can stand against it counts for something, and is better than doing absolutely nothing but bellyache about the plight of those who died generations ago.

Really, I am tired of people sanctimoniously pontificating on slavery in times past while seeming unwilling to put that moral outrage into doing something for people who can still be helped.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1338 on: October 21, 2023, 08:59:45 AM »

If it outrages you that slavery existed in the United States 160 years ago among people long dead, why are you not transferring that otherwise empty outrage into doing something to fight slavery in the world today?

If curious, some ways you can push back against slavery include: Writing elected officials and calling their attention to human trafficking and other forms of slavery in the 21st century. Contributing time and or money to agencies that combat slavery. Even making others aware that it exists for potentially millions of people and that we can stand against it counts for something, and is better than doing absolutely nothing but bellyache about the plight of those who died generations ago.

Really, I am tired of people sanctimoniously pontificating on slavery in times past while seeming unwilling to put that moral outrage into doing something for people who can still be helped.

Who is it you know who pontificates about slavery but has no interest in current social justice? I don't know who you are talking about. Modern day slavery exists but it's not the only social ill. It doesn't follow to me that if you think historical slavery is bad that you must prioritize fighting current slavery (which exists in a much different form). I am outraged by the Holocaust, but I can focus on current social ills that are more relevant than modern-day genocide. And drawing attention to historical injustices still does some good in the world, even if it's not as much as actively helping people today. So I don't share your outrage.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1339 on: October 21, 2023, 10:04:40 AM »

Who is it you know who pontificates about slavery but has no interest in current social justice? I don't know who you are talking about. Modern day slavery exists but it's not the only social ill. It doesn't follow to me that if you think historical slavery is bad that you must prioritize fighting current slavery (which exists in a much different form). I am outraged by the Holocaust, but I can focus on current social ills that are more relevant than modern-day genocide. And drawing attention to historical injustices still does some good in the world, even if it's not as much as actively helping people today. So I don't share your outrage.

I hear it all the time, people taking on a certain tone about slavery that existed in the past, something beyond anyone's present control, and I am always left thinking, yeah, you hate slavery, good, but if so why aren't you putting that conviction about its evil into effect in a time when you can do something about it?  Are people trying to disassociate themselves from a feeling of guilt, or do they actually detest slavery so much they really do want to eradicate it?

You've never encountered that empty sanctimony yourself and you've never thought that? There's so much verbiage condemning something that's over, so little awareness or effort put into trying to solve something going on now. People are big on talk and small on action. Like Adalai Stevenson said, "It's easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."

The bottom line is I do support an organization that is trying to undo some of the damage sex trafficking rings are doing in places like Thailand today, the things I read about associated with slavery in our world anger me, and I wish people would do more to help instead of carrying empty idealism. How about more people walk the walk instead of talking the talk? That's my point.

And I wasn't singling anyone out here at all.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 10:11:26 AM by ER » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1340 on: October 21, 2023, 10:54:09 AM »

One hour of conversation, in your vernacular, with any dead person in all of history. Assuming you'd do it, with whom would you speak?

Me, I'd skip the famous and talk to my grandma.

Princess Diana: just to tell her how much she meant and still means to me.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1341 on: October 21, 2023, 11:10:09 AM »

I hear it all the time, people taking on a certain tone about slavery that existed in the past, something beyond anyone's present control, and I am always left thinking, yeah, you hate slavery, good, but if so why aren't you putting that conviction about its evil into effect in a time when you can do something about it?  Are people trying to disassociate themselves from a feeling of guilt, or do they actually detest slavery so much they really do want to eradicate it?

You've never encountered that empty sanctimony yourself and you've never thought that? There's so much verbiage condemning something that's over, so little awareness or effort put into trying to solve something going on now. People are big on talk and small on action. Like Adalai Stevenson said, "It's easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."

The bottom line is I do support an organization that is trying to undo some of the damage sex trafficking rings are doing in places like Thailand today, the things I read about associated with slavery in our world anger me, and I wish people would do more to help instead of carrying empty idealism. How about more people walk the walk instead of talking the talk? That's my point.

Our minds are instinctively revulsed by hypocrisy, but I think we have to be careful not to jump to conclusions about it. I don't think I've ever definitively encountered such empty sanctimony, because I don't do audits of stranger's charitable contributions, volunteer work, or outside work. How would I know that they only complain and don't do anything to help others?

I hate to think I can't bring up this or that historical atrocity unless I donate to an analogous modern-day charity! I can't condemn Stalin's man-made famine of the 30s unless I volunteer at a food bank?

It does remind me of a related and sort-of opposite phenomenon that does annoy me. Some white people seems to feel triggered by any mention of slavery, acting like they've been personally attacked or made to feel guilty for being white. I have seen them react on Twitter with the fact that African blacks also engaged in slavery. There was even a guy on Indy's Facebook who insisted that the Irish were also enslaved in America. I'm sure most of them are nice people, though, who just have a blind spot about that one issue.

Sorry to get so heavy, man.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1342 on: October 21, 2023, 11:38:49 AM »

It does remind me of a related and sort-of opposite phenomenon that does annoy me. Some white people seems to feel triggered by any mention of slavery, acting like they've been personally attacked or made to feel guilty for being white. I have seen them react on Twitter with the fact that African blacks also engaged in slavery. There was even a guy on Indy's Facebook who insisted that the Irish were also enslaved in America. I'm sure most of them are nice people, though, who just have a blind spot about that one issue.

I sometimes get upset at people who doubt that I'm an African, despite the fact that I have an English accent and am Caucasian. It's only when I explain my history - and inform them that I have two special family members who are not Caucasian - that people say "OK, no problem."

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1343 on: October 21, 2023, 12:56:19 PM »

Our minds are instinctively revulsed by hypocrisy, but I think we have to be careful not to jump to conclusions about it. I don't think I've ever definitively encountered such empty sanctimony, because I don't do audits of stranger's charitable contributions, volunteer work, or outside work. How would I know that they only complain and don't do anything to help others?

I hate to think I can't bring up this or that historical atrocity unless I donate to an analogous modern-day charity! I can't condemn Stalin's man-made famine of the 30s unless I volunteer at a food bank?

Ah, if there's one thing I understand about people, it's that I don't understand people.  Smile

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1344 on: October 22, 2023, 08:14:25 AM »

On a less contentious topic, can you dance?

I don't dance. I hate all dance music. Unfortunately, it would have been a good skill to master when I was younger for courting purposes.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1345 on: October 22, 2023, 08:25:19 AM »

If you call head banging dancing- yes.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1346 on: October 22, 2023, 08:41:10 AM »

When no one's watching I dance with wonderful and heartfelt chaos.

claws
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #1347 on: October 22, 2023, 09:27:52 AM »

I read that "straight" white men can't dance, which is BS. I used to boogie down in nightclubs. My dad had pretty good moves as well.

Is it October yet?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1348 on: October 22, 2023, 01:55:00 PM »

I don't dance. I hate all dance music. Unfortunately, it would have been a good skill to master when I was younger for courting purposes.

I don't dance well but I have never let that stop me!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1349 on: October 22, 2023, 02:09:27 PM »

I used to be quite a good dancer until certain body parts started saying "No way, Jose" to me  Buggedout Wink

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 99
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Personal Questions « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.