Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:25:14 AM
714355 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  >> when the script breaks the 4th wall? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: >> when the script breaks the 4th wall?  (Read 3232 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: December 29, 2022, 06:49:12 PM »

just watched TANGO & CASH, not sure how this film has evaded me until now, I've known about it since it came out

anyway there's a couple of Sylvester Stallone's lines that were obvious attempts to kind of break the 4th wall into 'real life'... One where a character references Rocky and he says something like "yeah well Rocky is a p***y", and another bit where a character mentions danish cuisine and he goes "I hate danish" (clearly a reference to his recent at the time marriage/divorce to Brigitte Nielsen)

VERY corny. but not breaking the 4th wall in the traditional sense of actors looking at the screen or directly acknowledging the audience.

any other examples of this in a movie?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 07:12:20 PM »

The Devil's Chair (2007) - British horror film. During parts of the film there is a voiceover, and at some point the speaker is addressing the audience directly. He says something like "..and you people currently watching The Devil's Chair on DVD."

It was strange and caught me off guard. They take drugs in the film so I guess it made sense but it was still weird.

Is it October yet?
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 07:24:19 PM »

Arthur Frayn
https://youtu.be/ezT7P970Bw4

There's a scene in Gremlins 2 where the gremlins get into the projection booth & start playing a '50s skin flick, & then Hulk Hogan starts shouting at the camera.....

The Tingler, the Director makes a brief intro, then when the tingler hides in a movie theater, the screen goes black, and Vincent Price shouts, "Scream! Scream for your lives!"....

Mister Sardonicus, the director pretends to engage the audience with his "Thumbs up/Thumbs down" vote cards.....

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 07:30:48 PM »

Yellow Submarine, The Beatles were so impressed, that they decided to tack on an ending where they chat with the audience about the adventure, & then John says there's Blue Meanies in the theater...

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 10:02:05 PM »

There was an episode of 'night gallery' called green fingers that had a main character, after being driven insane, talk to the audience directly.

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
LilCerberus

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 11:11:35 PM »

How I Won the War
There's a couple of scenes where John Lennon's character addresses the camera, the first to narrate why he apathetically obeys what he knows is a bad order, & the end, after his character gets killed.....
There's also a scene when the Nazi officer that Goobody's been confiding in tells one of his men he's "a civilian now", and the relieved Nazi trooper gives a cynical statement to the camera.....

LilCerberus

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 11:34:36 PM »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
King Arthur starts rough housing Dennis the commune member to get him to shut up.... Dennis starts shouting, "Help! I'm being oppressed!" then points at the camera & says, "You! You saw him oppressing me, Didn't you!"

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 11:44:31 PM »

Smokey and The Bandit:

Bandit hides his car from the police and as the car passes by the camera, he looks at the audience and grins 😎🤣🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndt_84WBxUM
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 05:19:04 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 06:29:24 AM »

I don't mean traditional breaking the 4th wall, where the characters literally address and acknowledge the audience.

I meant subtler, tongue in cheek lines or things in the film that are clearly knowing references to stuff which is beyond the fictional realm of the movie

in TANGO & CASH, Sly doesn't actually look at the camera and say "I played Rocky... geddit?"

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 08:34:04 AM »

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 has a lot of these moments, especially the Lethal Weapon, Dirty Harry and Die Hard references 😁

LilCerberus

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 12:02:45 PM »

I don't mean traditional breaking the 4th wall, where the characters literally address and acknowledge the audience.

I meant subtler, tongue in cheek lines or things in the film that are clearly knowing references to stuff which is beyond the fictional realm of the movie

in TANGO & CASH, Sly doesn't actually look at the camera and say "I played Rocky... geddit?"
What about that scene at the end of Sky High (2005) where Lynda Carter says "I'm not Wonder Woman"?

LilCerberus

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 06:58:03 PM »

I've read that there were a few of these moments in Seed Of Chucky, but I've never seen it...

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 07:24:21 PM »

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 has a lot of these moments, especially the Lethal Weapon, Dirty Harry and Die Hard references 😁

not seen it but yeah that kind of parody type film would be prime territory for this kind of thing I'm sure...

What about that scene at the end of Sky High (2005) where Lynda Carter says "I'm not Wonder Woman"?

yeah that counts. (as long as she's not saying it into the camera whilst winking ironically)

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 08:56:06 AM »

Watched THE UNBEREABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT last night. An entertaining movie, and they make tons of references to Nicholas Cage movies. I only wish the overall script was more interesting, basically I felt offended like Javi when Cage explained the boring kidnapping plot to him.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »

not seen it but yeah that kind of parody type film would be prime territory for this kind of thing I'm sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCeAPNfnhTE

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  >> when the script breaks the 4th wall? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.