Main Menu

Rip off movies

Started by Trevor, August 06, 2023, 02:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel Knight

THE ISLAND is a ripoff of PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR. While it may look better and have good actors, the ending is extremely watered down. The original is way darker and better.

K-PAX is a ripoff of an argentinian movie called HOMBRE MIRANDO AL SUDESTE. In this case, I think both movies are good though.
Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2

LilCerberus

Probably mentioned this before, but Point of No Return (1993) is a really dumbed down version of Nikita (1990)
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

Neville

I think that one is a legitimate remake. Not that it is any good, though.
Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.

zombie no.one

Quote from: Gabriel Knight on December 08, 2023, 09:53:03 AM
THE ISLAND is a ripoff of PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR. While it may look better and have good actors, the ending is extremely watered down. The original is way darker and better.

Somehow not heard of this. Looking on IMDb now. I like Peter Graves as well. Will have to check it.
please do not mock my potato.

Neville

I remember reading about it on Jabootu. The creators of TCH eventually sued the makers of The Island and got a settlement.
Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.

Gabriel Knight

Quote from: zombie no.one on December 08, 2023, 11:07:44 AM
Quote from: Gabriel Knight on December 08, 2023, 09:53:03 AM

Somehow not heard of this. Looking on IMDb now. I like Peter Graves as well. Will have to check it.

I discovered through MST3K actually. Yes, there's plenty of things to laugh at, especially the boom mics that can be seen more than once. Yet, the plot is very good, and is the ending. I watched THE ISLAND many years ago and when I saw PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR I had to investigate about the whole ordeal, because they're way too similar. Turns out, something did happened, as you may probably read already in IMDb:

QuoteDirector Robert S. Fiveson brought a copyright infringement suit against the makers of The Island (2005), citing almost 100 points of similarity between the two films. The court ruled that Fiveson made a prima facie case for infringement. Before the case could go to trial, Dreamworks settled with the plaintiffs for an undisclosed amount.

QuoteIn an interview filmed for the DVD release of the Mystery Science Theater version of the film director Robert S. Fiveson mentioned that the settlement for the lawsuit with the makers of The Island (2005) involved the official sale of remake rights, and even mentioning that fact was technically against the confidentiality agreement made as part of the settlement. Fiveson also mentions that fans of the MST3K episode provided a lot of support and encouragement as the copyright infringement case progressed.
Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2

the ghoul

The Eerie Midnight Horror Show (1974)  This is an Italian rip-off of The Exorcist.  I have a couple of other eurohorror exorcist movies as well, but I don't remember their names offhand.  I actually enjoyed watching these movies more than The Exorcist, which I found to be a bit boring compared to its more stylish and cheesy eurohorror counterparts.

zombie no.one

Quote from: Gabriel Knight on December 08, 2023, 02:07:19 PM
Robert S. Fiveson mentioned that the settlement for the lawsuit with the makers of The Island (2005) involved the official sale of remake rights.

yeah looks like there's been a 2000s era remake...

found a dvd of the original cheap online  :thumbup:

claws

Quote from: the ghoul on December 10, 2023, 01:05:56 AM
more stylish

Quotefilm style is the specific shooting, editing and audio decisions made to support the form

The "style" of most of the Italian Exorcist rip-off movies I've seen is poor. The directors imitated sets, locations, graphics, music, costumes etc. usually with very little own artistic input, or their own "signature style" filmmaking.

If by "more stylish" you mean the typical low budget look and feel of an Italian rip-off movie, then yes, it is more stylish than The Exorcist because it has none of that.
Is it October yet?

zombie no.one

I mean, some 70s Italian horror IS incredibly stylish... check out FORBIDDEN PHOTOS OF A LADY ABOVE SUSPICION, I don't think I've ever seen a more 'stylish' looking movie... (I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm thinking of anyway, I get mixed up with giallo titles, lol)

sometimes they bordered more on 'garish' though admittedly. My favourite Italian EXORCIST rip off has to be MANHATTAN BABY. a mess but an enjoyable one imo

claws

There are countless stylish Italian horror movies. Most of these cheap Italian Exorcist rip-off movies are lacking a specific, unique style.
Is it October yet?

the ghoul

Perhaps I should have said I prefer "the style of" the Italian exorcist films over the American ones instead of calling them "stylish."  Let's just say that for me the eurohorror "rip-offs" have a certain je ne sais quoi that The Exorcist does not.

Claws, I've got to say you really need to get off your high horse.  That snobbish look of bewilderment you posted suits the tone of your comments perfectly. :wink:

M.10rda

While I hope we can all remain civil even in our disagreements, I understood your original comment, Ghoul, and I tend to agree w/ that opinion. THE EXORCIST does have a style, it's just a more restrained, realistic, perhaps we could say "mainstream Hollywood" style that remains in service to dramatizing its story in a convincing way for the audience. I do think it escalates stylistically in the final act, though (ironically) not in a way that is very convincing. (Just my unusual opinion there.)

EERIE MIDNIGHT HORROR SHOW (not its original title, btw - even its US title is a rip-off!) isn't trying to convince viewers of anything - it's just trying to look colorful and show us some nice looking naked bodies and a little moderately enthusiastic mayhem. It does that job very well! I own a VHS copy w/ that ludicrous box art and (though I've only watched it once I think) often consider revisiting it. On the other hand I own no copy of THE EXORCIST; I've seen it twice but have no interest in going back for thirds. Enjoy what you enjoy!  :cheers:

the ghoul

zombie no.one

there's a series of movies called PARANORMAL ENTITY, and I prob don't need to elaborate on what other series of movies they rip off

gotta love wiki's 'Reception' segment for the first one:

QuoteCriticisms were mostly focused on the script, plot and direction.

hmm okay, that leaves.... the hairstyles?

edit - and acting , I guess. yeah, great acting.