Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:13:11 PM
715129 Posts in 53121 Topics by 7755 Members
Latest Member: Independentbbz
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Five Movies You're Embarassed of Liking « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Five Movies You're Embarassed of Liking  (Read 11817 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 01:31:26 AM »

You're going to be hard-pressed to get true embarrassment out of this crowd.   You'll get a desultory kind of embarrassment.   Twirling

Umm..

1.   Not the movie, but the soundtrack -- I will agree that I have an inexplicable soft spot for ELO, and therefore for a lot of the soundtrack of "Xanadu."  A lot of that stuff is great to jog to!

2.   "Urgh!  A Music War."  It's not really cringe-worthy, so I'm not truly embarrassed to like it, but some of the acts (ie, Pere Ubu) are just unbearable.  But I really enjoy the film..  I mean, how can you not like the Cramps singing "Tear It Up," or Devo's act, or Klaus Nomi?!?   How can you not...?

3.   I still find "Ren and Stimpy" to be greatly  enjoyable.

4.   I still find "Beavis and Butt-Head" to be greatly enjoyable.  Especially the episodes that involve music videos, usually just awful hair metal.  Usually one of them ends up screaming incoherently along with the song...  good times.

5.   "Traxx."

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 06:43:49 AM »

These are the top 5 I can think of for now.

1.) Josie And The p***ycats: I've said before and I'll say it again, its brilliant.

2.) Mrs. Doubtfire:  People are usually shocked when I tell them I like this film.  I've seen it several times and it never seems to get old to me.  I think Robin Williams shines in the film where many people find him generally annoying. 

3.) Xanadu:  Yes I'm a heathen for liking it and so be it.  To me, most musicals suck so why not enjoy the one thats the worst.  The thing I'm most "embarrassed" about is that I think the soundtrack is catchy too. 

4.) Ace Ventura When Nature Calls:  Still one of the funniest films I've ever seen IMO. 

5.) Superman 3:  Looking back, I liked it more as a kid but I still enjoy it. 

It's been a long time since I have seen Mrs. Doubtfire.  I think I am going to have to put it in my rental queue.

Transformers (1985)- This is a true guilty pleasure the whole way through. The hokey likes, the 80's soundtrack, the "Weird Al Fight Scene", I love every moment of this movie but whenever I watch it, it usually tends to be alone (my brother showed some interest in it once but has yet to view it)

I love the 85 Transformers movie.  It's one of my all time favorite films.

Here is my list:

1. Showgirls

I know lots of people hated this film, but I enjoyed it.  It's bad, but funny in a good way.

2. Rocky V

While it's different than the other films, I still thinks it's good because it shows that even at the top it's still possible to fall back down to the bottom again.

3. The Godfather Part III

I used to get a lot of flak at work for saying I though this was a great film.

4. Best of the Best

5. Mommie Dearest

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 07:40:04 AM »

"Embarrassed" probably isn't the right word. I'm a little hesitant to mention that I like some films because I can't really explain what it is I like about them. That hesitancy comes across like embarrassment, so I'll go with it. Here's my list:

1. I'll agree with The Darksider: Josie and the p***ycats is great fun to watch, though I'm not sure exactly why. I almost feel like a lech watching it, but when it's on, I can't seem to take my eyes from the screen.

2. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I'm not a fan of the other Kevin Smith movies (they're all right, but I don't find them as fascinating as many others seem to). This one, though, keeps me rolling throughout. It's crass, gross, stupid and wonderfully entertaining.

3. Undercover Brother. I watched some of the web comics on which this movie is based, and they were, um, uninspired to say the least. The movie, however, is fun.

And that's really about all that come to mind. I do my best to win audiences for some films that I probably should be embarrassed for liking (Mom & Dad Save the World, Shakes the Clown, The Forbidden Zone, etc.), but this list represents the few movies I'm hesitant to admit I like (sometimes, at least).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »

I love Traxx!. Here's a quote I lifted from the IMDB...

Traxx: [refering to criminal who is holding up a pet store] He shot an old lady and a puppy!
Cop: The old lady was sport, but the puppy... Whew! That was pure genius. He can plead insanity on that one.

I also like D.C. Cab with Mr. T and the Barbarian Brothers.

Mitchell with the great Joe Don Baker.

Final Justice

and Bail Out starring David Hasselhoff as a bounty hunter named Whitebread.

Here's my most embarrassing scrap of movie watching trivia. Whenever I watch "Adventures in Babysitting" I like to pretend that Elizabeth Shue is singing to me during the opening credits. Buggedout

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 03:44:21 PM »

Battlefield Earth
Amidst howls of protest, I really like this movie.  In spite of glaring errors with the science and common sense side of things, it was very intertaining.  The Psychlos were gross and nasty and violent and they all completely overacted, which made them all the more menacing.

Waterworld
Completely trashed when it came out, but I love it.  Entertaining and reasonably believeable.  But then I had a major crush on Kevin Costner in his hey day.

TeddyR I'm with ya there! I just thought of another one: The Postman. Where's the love for the US Postal Service Question

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »

David Lynch's Dune may God have mercy on my soul. I've already given the spiel before. Yeah it's bad, yeah I understand why and yeah I agree. I still like it. Hopefully the new movie will redeem the title.

Halloween III... as a stand alone film, its was good. It should have been a stand alone film. We all know the history about it. I never thought that I would admit to liking it after despising it all these years.

I can take Brendan Fraser in doses... one such dose is George of the Jungle. That movie was one of the movies in the donated movie bin at work. After seeing it a few hundred times it kinda grew on me.

I'll fess up to liking Independence Day. It's plot holes are legion but overall its an enjoyable movie.

Finally I am an unabashed lover of Flash Gordon. That movie is a guilty pleasure.

The Incredible Hulk Returns: Very cheesy Hulk TV film based on characters from the 70s-80s TV series. Actually features perhaps the cheesiest version of Thor ever.

"Banner summon your troll and together we'll rescue your woman." Yeah that was a good episode.

Concerning Xanadu, I would have added it to the list, but it was already taken. That was a fun movie and the music of ELO is a reason in itself to watch.

Nothing wrong with Transformers either. That was a great movie. How can you not love the singing of Dirk Diggler... You've got the touch... you've got the po-wer.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:17:02 PM by Justy » Logged

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 07:38:29 PM »

Battlefield Earth
Amidst howls of protest, I really like this movie.  In spite of glaring errors with the science and common sense side of things, it was very intertaining.  The Psychlos were gross and nasty and violent and they all completely overacted, which made them all the more menacing.

Waterworld
Completely trashed when it came out, but I love it.  Entertaining and reasonably believeable.  But then I had a major crush on Kevin Costner in his hey day.

TeddyR I'm with ya there! I just thought of another one: The Postman. Where's the love for the US Postal Service Question

I actually preferred the book to the movie.  But the movie was okay.  Kevin Costner is like Ben Affleck.  They both have a knack for picking movies that aren't great, but it doesn't seem to hurt their box office appeal.

I guess that's what you call screen charisma.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24:32 AM »

Ummmm, Napoleon Dynamite?

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
redsneaker
Dedicated Viewer

Malcolm, get me my hypo-gun - quickly!

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »

What about Forest Gump?

"Strange and unexplained events are occuring."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »

A movie I'm embarrassed to admit liking to THIS crowd? 

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY.

Can't think of four others.

Now you know my terrible secret.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Steve V.
Dedicated Viewer

Too Sweet to be Sour

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 10:04:37 AM »

Striptease -- yeah, you know why  Buggedout. Also, I watched this on network TV several times when I was younger, it was a part of my teenage years... a very fond part. I now own it on VHS.

Rocky IV -- I don't mind admitting I like this movie, but I like to avoid the fact that it's my favorite of the series.

King of the Kickboxers -- Man, this is a great movie, but I hesitate to tell my friends.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »

Though like KillerBees mentioned, I too like WATERWORLD.   But, I'm not embarrassed by it.  These two are a little harder to explain:

LOVE STORY (1970)
STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979)

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »

Though like KillerBees mentioned, I too like WATERWORLD.   But, I'm not embarrassed by it.  These two are a little harder to explain:

LOVE STORY (1970)
STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979)

I was going to put down Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but as I thought about it I didn't see it as something to be embarrassed about. It wasn't really a bad movie, it was just too... beige. The concept was cool and the initial Klingon scene was awesome.

Now if you had said Star Trek IV, you would have been on firmer ground.

"Computer. Computer? Ahhh... Hello computer! ... A keyboard? How quaint."

"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 08:26:40 AM »

I have hesitated to mention it here, not really 'embarrassed'  more like anticipating the negative reactions, but:
In the Name of the King. Yes: an Uwe Boll film.  (He was at the first screening, which only added to the experience!) 
Saw it twice: took different victims - uh, friends - with us each time. It was fun.  FUN I tell you!
And I would do it again.  MWAHAHAHAHA!

(Amazing how good it feels to finally get that out!)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:30:03 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
hellbilly
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »

1. Mountaintop Motel Massacre (1986) - Hated by everyone ... but I can't help it. I really like this one.

2. I Know Who Killed Me (2007) - The most underrated film of 2007 in my opinion.

3. She's All That (1999) - What can I say? It has this charming John Huges vibe going.

4. Exorcist: The Beginning (2004) - This was more fun than the boring Schrader version.

5. The Ring Two (2005) - I have a soft spot for CGI deer. Kill me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Five Movies You're Embarassed of Liking « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.