Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 11:54:26 PM
715337 Posts in 53131 Topics by 7758 Members
Latest Member: Augustxlj
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 644123 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1080 on: March 06, 2011, 11:37:56 AM »

I don't drink and I'm pretty sure I was being looked down on in college.
And that includes my tutors.

Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1081 on: March 06, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »

Bluesad

Bluesad Indeed.  Whyever would you think so?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1082 on: March 06, 2011, 12:48:44 PM »

I've never drinked in my entire life but I never let it stop me from going out to dances if I wanted. Most places nowadays do serve alternatives to booze. It does get uncomfortable at times when you are stone cold sober and everyone else seems to be acting like idiots but I just try my best to avoid them and continue with my own good time. I usually drink bottled water although I wish more places had juice options. I actually love dances and going out to concerts the few rare occasions I get but I honestly prefer the all-ages stuff where alcohol isn't even a factor more oft than not.

But at the same time, I get where these guys are coming from...there has been for a long time now push in society the idea that you cannot have fun without such aids which is completely untrue. Beer and other drinking marketing campaigns have weaved their way into the unconsciousness of society I suspect to make many believe this is the behaviour required to gain social acceptance..of course it means more business and money for said companies but it also gives society as an whole the wrong impression.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1083 on: March 07, 2011, 09:30:40 AM »

I've never drinked in my entire life but I never let it stop me from going out to dances if I wanted. Most places nowadays do serve alternatives to booze. It does get uncomfortable at times when you are stone cold sober and everyone else seems to be acting like idiots but I just try my best to avoid them and continue with my own good time. I usually drink bottled water although I wish more places had juice options. I actually love dances and going out to concerts the few rare occasions I get but I honestly prefer the all-ages stuff where alcohol isn't even a factor more oft than not.

But at the same time, I get where these guys are coming from...there has been for a long time now push in society the idea that you cannot have fun without such aids which is completely untrue. Beer and other drinking marketing campaigns have weaved their way into the unconsciousness of society I suspect to make many believe this is the behaviour required to gain social acceptance..of course it means more business and money for said companies but it also gives society as an whole the wrong impression.

Well, the drunks are easier to tolerate if you're drunk yourself. It's a self-perpetuating cycle. I tend to drink regularly, but usually in very moderate amounts. I enjoy a drink, I enjoy the taste, I enjoy the relaxation it brings, I'm not a hard-partying kind of guy, except very occasionally, like a two or three times a year, and when I do I find the other drunks tolerable because I'm drunk. I'm sure if I were sober I'd be annoyed to some extent too, or I'd just make fun of them. These things just don't bother people in Europe. Whenever I visit Ireland, for example, it's just a thing where you drink or you don't drink, who cares? Contrary to the stereotype, there are plenty of teetotallers in Ireland, and yes, plenty of drinkers as well. Everybody is responsible for their own behavior, for the most part, and while I've seen some belligerence in bars on occasion, it's just a part of life and nobody gets too annoyed by it. Nobody is pressured to drink, you either do or you don't. We have a stigma about drinking on this side of the pond, just as we have a stigma about lots of things that may be fun because of our puritanical roots, which is why, in my opinion, we've go so many damned hangups.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #1084 on: March 07, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »

You know what really grinds my gears? When the cogs are too tight.

*BU-DUM-CHING*

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1085 on: March 07, 2011, 11:42:17 AM »

I used to enjoy the sensation of being drunk in my early 20s but after puking in multiple sinks, buckets, toilets, etc it lost it's appeal.  The final straw came at my wifes aunt's wedding where I went way beyond where I should have.  That night I sprained my ankle, puked all over myself and had all to do to get to work the next day. 

So in turn, I don't drink to get drunk any more.   I may enjoy a cold one out a bar or dinner but thats because I really enjoy the taste of beer. 

With kids around its hard to sleep off anyhow. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1086 on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »

I used to enjoy the sensation of being drunk in my early 20s but after puking in multiple sinks, buckets, toilets, etc it lost it's appeal.  The final straw came at my wifes aunt's wedding where I went way beyond where I should have.  That night I sprained my ankle, puked all over myself and had all to do to get to work the next day. 

So in turn, I don't drink to get drunk any more.   I may enjoy a cold one out a bar or dinner but thats because I really enjoy the taste of beer. 

With kids around its hard to sleep off anyhow. 

That's definately one reason I'm moderate, the kids. Even without them, however, I'd probably still be fairly moderate, just a maybe a little less so.

Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1087 on: March 07, 2011, 01:33:46 PM »

Am I the only teenager that doesn't own a cell phone (nor do I want one)? No Ipods either. Even if I was given a cell phone, I don't think I'd ever use it.
But of course, I'm thus considered a lunatic by others. =p

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Paquita

« Reply #1088 on: March 07, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

I’ve never been drunk and only recently drank a whole cup of wine, but before that I never had more than a sip.  It used to really aggravate me when people would try to pressure me into drinking.  There was one guy I went on a couple of dates with.. he kept mentioning that we should go to a bar or a party  or something but I’d suggest something fun like mini golf and ice cream.. and when he came for a 3rd date, he got up while we were talking, scolded and lectured me about my immaturity and then stormed off.   I was so shocked and confused by it and I felt really ashamed.  When my friend came home, I was really upset and I told her about it and she said “You dork! He’s just mad because he can’t get you drunk and screw you!” so I never saw him again.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1089 on: March 07, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »

Am I the only teenager that doesn't own a cell phone (nor do I want one)? No Ipods either. Even if I was given a cell phone, I don't think I'd ever use it.

I live life by the following very small set of principles: do what makes me happy and allows me to stick to my principles and satisfy my responsibilities. I do use all the technology, but I'm finding more and more that in some ways I would love to just drop out of the rat race "Jeremiah Johnson" style. It's not that I have a problem with all the technology, not at all, I just see the problem with such dependence on it, and sometimes try to imagine what would happen to most Americans if all of their digital tecnology was suddenly taken away from them:

They wouldn't know how to get anywhere because they no longer own any maps.
They wouldn't be able to call 9-1-1 because they don't have a land line.
They wouldn't be able to call ANYONE because they wouldn't know the number.
They wouldn't be able to buy anything because they don't have access to any money.
They wouldn't be able to tell the time because they don't wear wristwatches.
They wouldn't be able to entertain themselves because they have no books, video games, etc.

The list can go on indefinately but those were the first few to come to mind.

You're probably in a slim minority when it comes to teenagers, but there are people who reject the dependence on technology, or even reject it altogether. Jesse Eisenberg, ironically enough the guy who portrayed Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network reported that he doesn't own a computer or a tv. I guess my main problem is the inability to function without the technology. That's where society is heading.

SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #1090 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »

I don't own a cell phone or an iPod either.  I'm an 18 year old University student.  People think I'm crazy for it!

I do have a laptop, but that's for school, so I don't think it counts. TongueOut
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1091 on: March 07, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »

Bluesad

Bluesad Indeed.  Whyever would you think so?

Some times after class and on weekends there were bands and get togethers at clubs and pubs that we'd all go to and the look of disdain on their faces when I said I didn't drink alcohol was of pure shock and an almost-what-on-earth-is-wrong-with-you stare.

As I was studying film-making, I needed these people to edit (I can't use editing software to save my life) and help produce my student films. So I had to try and fit in the group, but it just too much hassle.

I ended up quitting the course.

I end up qitting sixth form too because the tutors thought I was smuggling drugs into high school.

I mean, oh brother...
It's like after years of being with these people, they really didn't know me at all. I was so angry at their lack of faith, I just had enough. Although, on that case, I did have the students on my side.   

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #1092 on: March 07, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »

I hate cell phones. I like not being able to be reached.

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #1093 on: March 07, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »

I’ve never been drunk and only recently drank a whole cup of wine, but before that I never had more than a sip.  It used to really aggravate me when people would try to pressure me into drinking.  There was one guy I went on a couple of dates with.. he kept mentioning that we should go to a bar or a party  or something but I’d suggest something fun like mini golf and ice cream.. and when he came for a 3rd date, he got up while we were talking, scolded and lectured me about my immaturity and then stormed off.   I was so shocked and confused by it and I felt really ashamed.  When my friend came home, I was really upset and I told her about it and she said “You dork! He’s just mad because he can’t get you drunk and screw you!” so I never saw him again.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to get drunk, Paquita.  I'm not a drinker. As an adult child of an alcoholic parent, I can tell you that while not evil itself, alcohol can turn people into real monsters.

I also had the peer pressure to drink when I used to go to the clubs back in the 80's, and never gave in to it. I was drinking cranberry\club soda or diet Pepsi while everyone else was plastered. 

I used to love to watch my friends get sloshed while I was sober. It was fun (and sometimes scary) hearing some of their feelings when they were drunk and even more fun to be the fly on the wall in these situations.  I even learned what some of them thought about me...  Buggedout

We made a deal-I would drive them home when they were drunk, and on several occasions I made quite a bit of money as I charged each one of them 5 bucks.  AND, some of the girls  were quite grateful in.....other ways as well.  Fun days.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1094 on: March 08, 2011, 01:06:48 AM »

That's something I never understood: The whole banging a drunk chick thing. As much of a pie-hound as I used to be, I have NEVER banged a chick for the first time after either of us had been drinking. After you've been going out and screwing a bunch, sure, you do it drunk, but having alcohol be a possible contributing factor to an initial hookup is not cool IMO. Perhaps my ego needs fed more than others', but to bang a chick because she's drunk rather than because she wants me to do it just isn't my thing.

Of course, that's an easy position to take when you're as good looking as I am. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.