Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:05:08 AM
715337 Posts in 53131 Topics by 7758 Members
Latest Member: Augustxlj
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 644142 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1365 on: July 13, 2011, 02:44:31 PM »

I love living in a house that was built in the '60s, and every time you want to fix something, you get a replacement part - but they've changed the spec's just ever-so-slightly since your original part was made.  Look at it in the store - identical to the old part.  Too bad the bolts - which have identical threads - have been increased in diameter by about 1/5th of a millimeter, just enough so they go halfway in and it would take 100 lbs of torque to get another turn out of them. 

Or the bathtub overflow thing, where you open and close the drain.  It goes over a metal plate which has got a couple of bumps on it - in just the right place to keep you from getting the new cover on it, so it's about 2 degrees out of alignment and you can't get the screws to go in all the way.  The old screws that is - the new ones that came with the part are three times too long   Lookingup

I mean, would it really kill them to standardize this junk?  Is there any reason they have to change the size of the bolts that hold the faucets onto a laundry tub?  Was there a rash of breakages, and the industry decided to increase the bolt diameter by 1%?   Hatred

Somewhere along the line, technology made it possible to design things to fit together so perfectly and assemble so efficiently at the factory, that designers forgot about the guy who has to change one part later on. You end up with car engines that need to be lifted off their mounts to change the plugs, and laptops that need to be completely disassembled from the top down to get at something right behind the back cover. Remember when you could lift the hood of your car and find the engine in the centre of a reasonably spacious compartment, with your wiper motor, power steering, battery, cooling system, heater and even parts of the front suspension all spread around it within easy reach?

That was back when cars were also built around as many standard parts as possible, interchangeable between a range of models and years. I loved that, back when I could take a part off pretty much any GM car made from the late 70s to the late 80s and put it in my 81 Buick. Under the hood and under the floorboards, it was the General Motors "G" platform. I put a rear sway bar from an 87 Monte SS on that thing, and it fit beautifully. Headlights came in round or rectangular, large or small. Air filters were round and came in a few sizes, although various filter housings could be attached to the same carburetor. Ignition coils were pretty much universal, coming in regular or HEI. You could even swap quite a few engine and drive train parts between cars from the same manufacturer, even between a small-block 350 and the Buick 231 I had. Unlike today, they didn't reinvent the wheel for every part of every car every couple of years. They used as much off the shelf as they could.

We certainly have made progress since then. Lookingup
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:31:05 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1366 on: July 14, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »

People who feel the need to s**t all over a person once they find out they're happy or in a good mood, because they are petty and bitter people.

My wife works at a place that has a lot of those people.

She emailed me earlier today about the latest incident. I told her, there are two ways to deal with that situation.

One, be happy but just don't tell anybody about it. If they're petty and bitter and want to bring you down, don't give them the opportunity.

Or,

Two, be happy in spite of them. If they know they're barking up the wrong tree and can't bring you down no matter what they do, eventually they will stop trying.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1367 on: July 14, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »

Pruned our shrubs this weekend.  Had some small branches I cut off.  I cut them up into even smaller branches.  Of course our garbage man wouldn't take those.  So the 46 year old just spend an hour cutting the small branches into minuscule twigs so our 30 year old garbage man will be able to spend 20 seconds putting them in his truck.

The funny part is, just about everybody in this entire town has switched to another garbage company and yet that's how they show their appreciation to their one remaining loyal customer. 

Oh well, that's the last week I'll be dealing with that outfit.   Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1368 on: July 14, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »

Pruned our shrubs this weekend.  Had some small branches I cut off.  I cut them up into even smaller branches.  Of course our garbage man wouldn't take those.  So the 46 year old just spend an hour cutting the small branches into minuscule twigs so our 30 year old garbage man will be able to spend 20 seconds putting them in his truck.

The funny part is, just about everybody in this entire town has switched to another garbage company and yet that's how they show their appreciation to their one remaining loyal customer. 

Oh well, that's the last week I'll be dealing with that outfit.   Lookingup

Make sure to tell them exactly why, and if they see your side of it, perhaps they will make it up to you.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #1369 on: July 15, 2011, 11:24:46 PM »

People who come up and ask you to come join their church(this also includes commercials). It's one thing to be religious, but when you start advertising someone to come to your church, that just makes me feel uneasy.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1370 on: July 16, 2011, 05:10:16 AM »

People who come up and ask you to come join their church(this also includes commercials). It's one thing to be religious, but when you start advertising someone to come to your church, that just makes me feel uneasy.

Exactly, and if it's so great then you would have joined already...

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1371 on: July 16, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »

People who feel the need to s**t all over a person once they find out they're happy or in a good mood, because they are petty and bitter people.

My wife works at a place that has a lot of those people.

She emailed me earlier today about the latest incident. I told her, there are two ways to deal with that situation.

One, be happy but just don't tell anybody about it. If they're petty and bitter and want to bring you down, don't give them the opportunity.

Or,

Two, be happy in spite of them. If they know they're barking up the wrong tree and can't bring you down no matter what they do, eventually they will stop trying.

Heh, heh.  Sounds like my workplace. If someone gets a nod from someone else in upper mgmt they go apeshi!t hating on them claiming they were kissing @ss or whatever.  I've learned to simply do what people complain about more often just to p!ss them off.  Especially if its about something that makes me look good to others.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1372 on: July 16, 2011, 08:18:50 AM »

I've always thought churches that do this are trying to convince themselve what they believe is actually real.  Kind of pathetic really if you think about it.

DarkSider's Realm

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1373 on: July 16, 2011, 09:22:28 AM »

People who do you favours you didn't ask for, then throw them up in your face later on, when they want something from you.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1374 on: July 16, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »

People who do you favours you didn't ask for, then throw them up in your face later on, when they want something from you.
Or in my case people who give you advice you never asked for.

DarkSider's Realm

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1375 on: July 16, 2011, 10:59:52 AM »

Or in my case people who give you advice you never asked for.

That really shouldn't bother you, Darksider.  You need to "stop sweating the little stuff."  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1376 on: July 16, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »

I've always thought churches that do this are trying to convince themselve what they believe is actually real.  Kind of pathetic really if you think about it.

Maybe it's just because they are trying to follow the Great Commission found in Matthew 28: 19 - 20.  And if you never actually visit their church, how do you know it ISN'T a great place?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1377 on: July 16, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »

Maybe it's just because they are trying to follow the Great Commission found in Matthew 28: 19 - 20.  And if you never actually visit their church, how do you know it ISN'T a great place?
I'm fine as is thanks. 

DarkSider's Realm

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1378 on: July 16, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »

Not trying to be preachy, or bust your chops.
Knee-jerk hostility to people of faith is something that grinds my gears, that's all! TeddyR
Peace!

Oh  . . .  and one other thing - I think I saw a picture of you on here at one time, and "fine" was NOT the adjective that came to mind! BounceGiggle

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1379 on: July 16, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »

Jehovah witnesses  Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred

I hate them, hate them, hate them, hate em. They've been harrasing me at home for about 3 years now. I work from home and I park my car in the street so they know when I'm home.

Next time they come I'm thinking of telling them I'm busy and if they'll kindly give me their address I'll stop by. When they no, I'll say is it because you don't want people buggin you at home. They'll say yes. Then I'll say, now you know how I feel and slam the door on them.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.