Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 10:25:58 PM
715336 Posts in 53131 Topics by 7758 Members
Latest Member: Augustxlj
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 644066 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1800 on: May 29, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »

friend invited himself over, said the only reason was to kill time before a meeting in my neck of the woods....I'll never get those 2 hours of my life back and I had stuff I  wanted to get done

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1801 on: May 29, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »

Crazy government policies, changes and cutbacks. Less jobs, just how does that help the economy?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1802 on: May 29, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »

Because cutbacks of Federal Employees means the government isn't spending money it doesn't have to perform functions that are none of its business!

Seriously - we are $15 TRILLION in debt.  We cannot afford to continue funding these enormous agencies that have thousands of employees with layers of redundant bureacuracy!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1803 on: May 29, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »

It also means hundreds less jobs for people to fill in a place where jobs are hard to find as is. Also some of the most recent cuts to healthcare I'd say will very much decrease the level of service here and lead to more and more overworked people.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:42:41 PM by JaseSF » Logged

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #1804 on: May 29, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »

What grinds my gears?  As an English major, I have an inner usage and grammar Nazi.

Less/fewer.  That is:

"Fewer" is used for countable things, eg, "There are fewer Uwe Boll movies lately; good!"

"Less" if you can't count the item.  "Our cow is giving less milk this year."

Or you could say "Our cow is giving fewer gallons of milk this year."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1805 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:29 AM »

Telephone numbers. For as long as I've been dialing phones, it was not necessary to dial the area code for a call within your area code. The old electromechanical exchanges could figure that out, and the early computerized exchanges could figure that out, and the more sophisticated computers could figure that out. Suddenly, about a year or two ago, this capability just vanished, and we have to dial the area code for local calls. It's a pain in the ass, especially when I'm trying to dial a number somebody just told me, before I forget it. The system is programmed to recognize when you haven't dialed the area code, and tell you, but apparently it's become a huge burden for it to just assume you are dialing within your own area code.

This seems completely ridiculous and unnecessary to me. Newer technology should be capable of more, not less. If it was possible before, it is still possible now.

Any seemingly artificial limitation to technology bothers me. I can use my credit card anywhere, at any time, and it will immediately add my purchase to the balance. When I pay the bill online, directly from a bank account, it takes days for the payment to go through. Same with transfers from one bank to another. There is no technological reason why it cannot be instantaneous, and I have my doubts that there is any other reason that could not be overcome.

Bugs me so much to transfer money into an account to cover a bill, days in advance, and have it arrive a few hours after the bill payment comes out. Fine, the amount is covered, the balance is back in the black, and all is well. But no, they've already initiated a reversal on the payment that also takes a couple of days, and added an NSF fee. And I can't help but think all of it is ridiculous, especially the system's inability to just recognize that there is not enough money and decline the payment. Once again, I can make a debit card purchase anywhere, at any time, and the system will check the account balance. No money, no purchase. For some reason, when it's all happening within the bank's own computer, that becomes impossible. I'm beginning to wonder if it's because they want to collect NSF fees. There's certainly no technological reason for it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1806 on: May 30, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »

Shh! Andy, I think you're on to them. 

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1807 on: May 31, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »

Being made to work over the Bank Holiday Jubilee weekend...

Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
tommex84
On the 8th day God created G.A.Romero
Bad Movie Lover

They're dead, but they're comin' right for us!

« Reply #1808 on: May 31, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »

WTF! Another working weekend  Hatred

" We're going to get you. We're going to get you. Not another peep. Time to go to sleep."

"Do that again and I'm gonna open up a can of whoop-ass on you!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1809 on: May 31, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »

When I place my cursor on some text, hold down the left button, and move my cursor to the right, that means I want to highlight what's to the right of where I placed my cursor.  It doesn't mean I also want stuff to the left to automatically be highlighted, or everything in the whole box to be highlighted.  For f***'s sake man, it ain't rocket science.

I know your pain.

I thought I was the only one.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1810 on: May 31, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »

I live in Wisconsin. As I'm sure most of you are aware there is a big recall election taking place here June 5. For the past few weeks I cannot escape ads for any of the candidates running: when I'm listening to the radio on my car, during commericials for the few TV shows I watch, in my email , my mail, the phone calls, the internet and in the newspaper. It's annoying the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:17:52 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Jim H

« Reply #1811 on: June 01, 2012, 05:23:01 AM »

Telephone numbers. For as long as I've been dialing phones, it was not necessary to dial the area code for a call within your area code. The old electromechanical exchanges could figure that out, and the early computerized exchanges could figure that out, and the more sophisticated computers could figure that out. Suddenly, about a year or two ago, this capability just vanished, and we have to dial the area code for local calls. It's a pain in the ass, especially when I'm trying to dial a number somebody just told me, before I forget it. The system is programmed to recognize when you haven't dialed the area code, and tell you, but apparently it's become a huge burden for it to just assume you are dialing within your own area code.

Here in St. Louis, as best as I can figure out, we sometimes have to dial area codes for local numbers and sometimes we don't.  We also get a message saying it is not necessary to dial a 1 when calling this number.  But yet the area code is.  Other numbers REQUIRE you to dial the 1.  It makes NO SENSE.   Hatred

There have been times where it has taken THREE ATTEMPTS to dial a number correctly because I was TOO SPECIFIC.  Why would I EVER not be connected when I dial the complete number?  IT'S SO GOD DAMN STUPID IT BLOWS MY MIND!!!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1812 on: June 01, 2012, 05:32:05 AM »

WTF! Another working weekend  Hatred

That's every single weekend for me. I've forgotten what time off is actually like...  Bluesad

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1813 on: June 01, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »

I live in Wisconsin. As I'm sure most of you are aware there is a big recall election taking place here June 5. For the past few weeks I cannot escape ads for any of the candidates running: when I'm listening to the radio on my car, during commericials for the few TV shows I watch, in my email , my mail, the phone calls, the internet and in the newspaper. It's annoying the hell out of me.

I'm just across the border in Minnesota.  We get our local news from a TV station in Wisconsin, and that's the lead, and pretty much only story on the news every night.  Good grief, they don't give presidential elections 1/10th as much coverage   Lookingup

I just wanna know if it's gonna rain tomorrow for chrissakes!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #1814 on: June 01, 2012, 08:49:16 AM »

Job hunting can be such a hassle. What really gets to me is when you send CV after CV and application after application only to have none of the places contact you. What I really can't stand is how judgmental some of the managers can be. Apparently because I have an Afro and a mustache plus a small beard, I'm "not a serious worker". Since when did appearances become related to one's work ethics? You don't even friggin' know me or how I work yet somehow you know every aspect of my personality based on what I look like? F**k you!!!   Hatred
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.