Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 10:13:31 AM
714856 Posts in 53110 Topics by 7750 Members
Latest Member: Josette
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cool World (1992) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cool World (1992)  (Read 1942 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: November 16, 2009, 11:33:06 AM »

I reviewed this film back in May, but this movie needs to be mention again.  It has to be one of the most insane and crazy films ever created.  Almost every scene was a WTF moment, completely pointless, and had a plot hole.

This is the only film I can think of that has really no plot or any structure to it.  It is more a collection of scenes that when put together, sort of resembles a story.  Plot points are introduced and forgotten many times throughout the film.  The worst offensive is the climax (It might be a climax since it is hard to tell with this film) where thing just goes wild with weird images and unbelievable moments.

However, I sort of like this film for the random insanity that it is.  It can surprisingly keep my focus; the voice acting is good; the animation, while random, is certianly well done; and it has one of my soundtracks in a movie.

So, that's my thoughts on the film.  What are yours if you have seen it or not?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »

It seems to me that I saw about 5-10 minutes of it on HBO and turned it off as annoying.  I don't really remember what it was about it that put me off; maybe I was just in a bad mood at the time.  Your description makes me want to give it another shot, though.  I owe it to myself to see "one of the most insane and crazy films ever created."  I may even have a professional responsibility to give it a whirl.  Twirling

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »

I saw this movie during its theatrical release. I went in thinking it could be a lot of fun. I came out hating it. I still hate it. It is, in my opinion, one of the worst movies I have ever paid money to see.

Not trying to say anything about your opinion, InformationGeek. If you liked it, that's fine. It just didn't work on any level for me.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »

I dig it. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I do. It's one of those movies I saw a few times when I was a kid, and I liked it then (probably more because of Holli Would more than because of anything else), and it stuck with me. Nowadays, I still enjoy it because of the Holli character (what can I say? I'm a perv!), but I'm much more into the whole anarchic, nonsensical strangeness of it. Supposedly, this is one of those cases of studio meddling mucking up the works and "too many chefs in the kitchen," and you can completely tell. The movie is so muddled and messy, which gives it that bizarre "nothing makes sense" feel that I dig. I also get a kick out of the hacky attempts to mix animation with live-action. You can watch scenes and clearly see stuff like Gabriel Byrne's eyeline completely not matching up with what he's supposed to be looking at and things like that. Also, the whole "let's just use flat, one-dimensional objects and paint them so they look three-dimensional and see if that works" thing is a hoot. The first time Byrne's character visit Holli Would in the cartoon world, you can see stuff like big pillars and sofas that aren't really pillars or sofas, but, like, cardboard cutouts of pillars and sofas, and the illusion doesn't succeed in the slightest, which amuses me infinitely.

The only thing I think REALLY sucks about Cool World is the fact that the human version of Holli (the real life Kim Basinger) isn't HALF as cute as the cartoon version, which is pretty sad if you think about it.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Skull
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:59:22 AM »

I've seen Cool World years ago expecting it to be an adult version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and I dont remember why but I just didnt like it...

Oddly I do remember me thinking the Police Cat in Last Action Hero (1993) was much better then Cool World. Although I hated Last Action Hero because I thought the kid was too annoying.

I do remember comming up with a Movie/Cartoon story idea... I think it was inspired after watching Last Action Hero and feeling jaded from Cool World...

The story is called: Public Enemy Number 1.

Story: Years later Joe Camel is a homeless and angry that his life is in the toilet. One day he sees a poster of a congressman that pushed a bill that effectly made Joe Camel homeless and he destroyed the poster and went to jail. Spuds McKenzie bails Joe out and offers him a simple job to take pictures of a cheating husband... Joe takes the job and ends up shooting photos of the congressman that ruined his life, only to see him murdered by a toon that looks like him.

The silly idea would use characters from Joe Camel, Tony the Tiger, Chester Cheetah, etc... The only thing that prevent me from writing the story was the use of "Copyrighted Characters"

:)
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »

I've seen Cool World years ago expecting it to be an adult version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and I dont remember why but I just didnt like it...

Oddly I do remember me thinking the Police Cat in Last Action Hero (1993) was much better then Cool World. Although I hated Last Action Hero because I thought the kid was too annoying.

I do remember comming up with a Movie/Cartoon story idea... I think it was inspired after watching Last Action Hero and feeling jaded from Cool World...

Story: Years later Joe Camel is a homeless and angry that his life is in the toilet. One day he sees a poster of a congressman that pushed a bill that effectly made Joe Camel homeless and he destroyed the poster and went to jail. Spuds McKenzie bails Joe out and offers him a simple job to take pictures of a cheating husband... Joe takes the job and ends up shooting photos of the congressman that ruined his life, only to see him murdered by a toon that looks like him.

The silly idea would use characters from Joe Camel, Tony the Tiger, Chester Cheetah, etc... The only thing that prevent me from writing the story was the use of "Copyrighted Characters"

You could always write it just for fun, or you invoke the fabled "parody" rule and create characters with different (but not that different) names who are suspiciously similar to the ones you just mentioned.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Skull
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »

You could always write it just for fun, or you invoke the fabled "parody" rule and create characters with different (but not that different) names who are suspiciously similar to the ones you just mentioned.

when I thought of that idea it was around 1993... I was afraid of being sued... And I just didnt do much on the idea, I even lost my old notes :(

Maybe i'll try working on it sometime in the near future but Im currently working on my first book... (Im at 200+ pages yay!!!)
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »

I like this movie because I like the look of combining hand drawn animation with live action.    I'm a little surprised I've never heard of this movie referred to a a "cult classic".  It certainly could be.  I also like that Brad Pitt is in this movie.  Its fun to see the stupid stuff big stars  have to due before they get huge.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Skull
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:29:19 AM »

I like this movie because I like the look of combining hand drawn animation with live action.    I'm a little surprised I've never heard of this movie referred to a a "cult classic".  It certainly could be.  I also like that Brad Pitt is in this movie.  Its fun to see the stupid stuff big stars  have to due before they get huge.

Funny... Thelma & Louise has made Brad Pitt a star, the movie was before Cool World... :)

wow... looking at Imdb I'm surprised to see Brad Pitt was in Dallas, Head of the Class and Freddy's Nightmare... :)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cool World (1992) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.