Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:33:47 AM
714774 Posts in 53105 Topics by 7750 Members
Latest Member: Josette
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sixteen (1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sixteen (1972)  (Read 1727 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 03, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »

I have to say first off that this movie portrays the south in a way that the people in southern georgia where it was filmed apparently did not appreciate, at least acodring to the IMDB comments.   That said, I thought it was a masterpiece though there is some suspension of disbelief required.

It seems unklikely that people who live so close to a modern looking town would be sub amish in their gullibility and innocence.  I think young Naomi would have had an army of male callers to teach her about the big bad world.  it's almost like a twilight zone episode in this respect.  The government, always a force for putting a wrench in the works of the way things are supposed to be  in southern cinema,  gives the family 8,000 dollars for some of their land they are using to build an expressway.  They decide to go to a carnival.  It wouldn't be much of a story if they had a good time and came home, so of course all hell breaks lose and Naomi and her brother Bruvver ( yep)  soon fall prey to the non governmental but still evil carny people. 

The film has a fair amount of heartbreak for the viewer, but the director is at least merciful and there is plenty of comic relief along the way.    The movie was a pleasure to watch because despite all these issues .  It's laid back and natural in a good way and, of course,  Sixteen year old Naomi  (Simone Griffeth later of Death Race 2000) is beautiful and worth the price of admission alone.   the family is likeable and funny  .   Also, there is a controversial scene involving Naomi and Bruvver that is actually quite innocent though admittedly uncomfortable.  Nothing to skip the movie over. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:44:15 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:38:40 PM »

A sordid(yet tame) little contribution to the hicksploitation genre.  While it's no TOBACCO ROODY, it does have a nice touch of skank to it.  TongueOut 

Amazingly(or maybe not), as far as I can tell, this is the only feature film from director Larry Dobkin.  He's familiar face to me, as a latchkey kid who was weened on the cathode ray teat.  For 30 years this guy was anywhere and everywhere on tv, notably police/mysteryshows...in front of and behind the camera.  If I had nickel for everytime he played a judge on some show.  The guy was even General Patton in the 238 hour miniseries WAR AND REMEMBRANCE!

ps...as for non governmental but still evil carny people?...What better kind are there?  BounceGiggle

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »

A sordid(yet tame) little contribution to the hicksploitation genre.  While it's no TOBACCO ROODY, it does have a nice touch of skank to it.

oh it wasn't by any means the most over the top example of the genre.   I haven't really delved in to much of the something weird side of the southern cinema.   More like  Axe, Dixie Dynamite, tourist trap.

drive in as opposed to grindhouse has been my central area of clinical research
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sixteen (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.