Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:46:18 PM
714915 Posts in 53115 Topics by 7750 Members
Latest Member: Josette
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-Giants of the Unknown-W.Lee Wilder and Richard E. Cunha « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: B-Giants of the Unknown-W.Lee Wilder and Richard E. Cunha  (Read 2198 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: December 27, 2007, 03:54:21 PM »

I was watching an old 'Something Weird Video' trailer tape called SHOCKORAMA SHREIK SHOW last night...and noticed a couple of names kept popping up under the film titles...W.Lee Wilder and Richard Cunha. So I did a little research...

W.Lee Wilder is the older brother of Billy Wilder-director of such classic films as SOME LIKE IT HOT and 7 YEAR ITCH (both with Marilyn Monroe)! According to the IMDB, W.Lee calls his younger bro(jokingly) "that dull son of a b1tch!"
 What type of movies did he make? Well..some of our favorites! Such as...
 .The MAN WITHOUT A BODY (1957)
 .SNOW CREATURE (1954)
 .KILLERS from SPACE (1954)-A personal favorite!!!
 .PHANTOM from SPACE (1954)

Richard Cunha. He directed films mostly for the Astor Films Co., which was the distributer for classics as LA DOLCE VITA,PEEPING TOM and...FRANKENSTIEN'S DAUGHTER!? Yup. Directed by Richard Cunha! He was also responsible for...
 .MISSLE to the MOON ((1958)
 .GIANT from the UNKNOWN (1958)
 .SHE DEMONS (1958)

the Company Astor Pictures,by the way, was the ditributer for ROBOT MONSTER, and the reissues of many all black cast movies like EBONY PARADE (1947) and many Monogram films like the TERROR of TINY TOWN (1938),SPOOKS RUN WILD (1941) and BOWERY at MIDNIGHT (1942)!!!

I just find this kinda stuff fascinating...it keeps my interest into the backround and history of B-movies flowing!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 11:04:44 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:32:26 PM »

I like Wilder's work, I found Phantom from Space especially good. Although it had cheesy production values, I sorta felt sorry for the poor alien at the end.  (a bit of trivia, the helmet worn by the alien was the same helmet used in Robot Monster, they just turned it around).

Who wouldn't love the cheesiness of The Killers from Space?!  I did found Snow Creature a little dull. I've never seen Man Without a Body, so I'll have to keep a look out for that one. I don't think I've seen any of Cunha's stuff.

RC, are you familiar with The Astounding B-Monster? It hasn't been updated since January of 2006, but there are a lot of good interviews and articles there.

If you like this kind of trivia you should check it out.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:45:28 PM by trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:11:51 PM »

Phantom from Space is a great classic scifi film Thumbup and Snow Creature is not so bad, aside from the scene that makes people in the Himalayas look really comical. Creature walking up, creature backing up. Good times.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 11:10:04 PM »

I like Wilder's work, I found Phantom from Space especially good. Although it had cheesy production values, I sorta felt sorry for the poor alien at the end.  (a bit of trivia, the helmet worn by the alien was the same helmet used in Robot Monster, they just turned it around).

Who wouldn't love the cheesiness of The Killers from Space?!  I did found Snow Creature a little dull. I've never seen Man Without a Body, so I'll have to keep a look out for that one. I don't think I've seen any of Cunha's stuff.

RC, are you familiar with The Astounding B-Monster? It hasn't been updated since January of 2006, but there are a lot of good interviews and articles there.

If you like this kind of trivia you should check it out.

Yeah...I've buzzed around the B-MONSTER site...lotsa neat-o stuff there!
MISSLE to the MOON (the remake-REMAKE-gasp!-of CATWOMEN of  the MOON!!!) is another favorite. I love the rock people and the giant spider!!! And FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER is an anti-classic!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
316zombie
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »

rc,there's some amazing books out there about our heroes,i have several i can recommend,if you're interested..
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:36:53 PM »

rc,there's some amazing books out there about our heroes,i have several i can recommend,if you're interested..

I LOVE reference books! I have quite a few older ones...and some more recent-
Old-Pictorial History of Horror Movies by Denis Giford
.Heros of the Horrors-Calvin T. Beck
.Classics of the Horror Film-William K. Everson
.To Be Continued-(can't recall the author right now...it's a history of the old serials...)
.Illustrated History of the Horror Film-Carlos Clarens
.the 3 Stooges-Micheal Fleaming...
Science Fiction Films-Phil Hardy
Tons of old film monster mags dating from FM#13 (1960) to the 70's, MAD MONSTERS,HORROR MONSTERS ,CASTLE of FRANKENSTEIN,MONSTERS of the MOVIES,FM's sister mags MONSTER WORLD and SPACE MEN,the MONSTER TIMES, a few obscurities...
and some more...
NEW-the two Psychotronic Film and Video guides
.Lugosi-Gary Don Rhodes
.Horror Stars-Micheal Price
.Shock-O-Rama-the films of Al Adamson
plus some Fangoria and Psychotronic Video mags...
....some more whose titles ecscape me...
...always happy to hear of more!!!  Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »

These two directors provided me with much delightful entetainment. I absolutely loved most of their work and I'm being quite honest. Especially enjoyed KILLERS FROM SPACE, MISSILE TO THE MOON, The HIDEOUS SUN DEMON, GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN and really to some extent or another, most everything else mentioned I've so far seen. Their movies have that charming sense of wonder about what the unknown might hold...and are fun and really perfect Drive-In movie fare.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-Giants of the Unknown-W.Lee Wilder and Richard E. Cunha « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.