Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:08:47 PM
715251 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Starsky and Hutch movie « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Starsky and Hutch movie  (Read 3640 times)
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2004, 05:54:11 PM »

Starsky and Hutch
Air Supply
Siegfried and Roy

Wow, that's quite a career...  ; ) "Don't kill the tiger!' "For God's sake!" "Don't kill the tiger."
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2004, 01:52:30 AM »

ulthar wrote:

> Also, there is the up-and-coming "Hitchhiker's Guide to the
> Galaxy," which one could say may be at least PARTLY based on
> the tv show.
>
> Of course, we don't know yet if it will be any good....    ;)
>

It also might be based on the books, too.  However, the books, the T.V. show and the movie all stem from a radio show, believe it or not.

Sometimes the entertainment industry is a very interseting place.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Eirik
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2004, 03:06:02 AM »

"What movie has ever succeeded that was based on a tv script?"

Describe "succeeded".  I think most Hollywood types would say success is turning a profit with little effort, in which case most TV show-inspired movies probably "succeeded."
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2004, 03:28:23 AM »

Eirik wrote:

> "What movie has ever succeeded that was based on a tv script?"
>
> Describe "succeeded".  I think most Hollywood types would say
> success is turning a profit with little effort, in which case
> most TV show-inspired movies probably "succeeded."

Dude, most people would use that as a description of success.  Little work, big gain, the American Dream.

However, I'll break it down a bit as I see it, using the movies I listed.  (To refresh the memory, the films are: Star Trek: the Motion Picture
, Doctor Who and the Daleks,  Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D, The Fugitive[/b] and Batman: the Motion Picture)

* - Succeed as how much money it made -- With the possible exception of Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D., all the movies that I mentioned made a profit.

* - Success at representing the TV shows they were derived from -- Here, the best of the lot would be Batman: the Motion Picture, which is almost identical to the series.  Following that, I would say that The Fugitive and Star Trek: the Motion Picture succeed in capturing the spirit and flavor of the shows they were derived from.  While the two Doctor Who films follow the plots of the shows they are based on, the characters are drastically different from the T.V. counterparts.  Thus, they must be considered failures in this category.

* - Success at being what they are -- This is, of course, a subjective category.  Everyone has their own tastes.    But I feel that, with the exception of Star Trek: the Motion Picture, which is damn dull, all of them do what they set out to do.  They entertain.

Just some thoughts on my part.

Post Edited (02-07-04 04:06)

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Eirik
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2004, 01:12:39 PM »

"And how many of these young kids these days are actually going to know who Starsky & Hutch are?"

Man, I'm 33 years old and I can barely remember when that show was on.  I also never saw an episode because my folks didn't watch it.
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004, 02:30:35 PM »

Johnny Z wrote:

> Am I the only one that thinks this is going to suck with the
> stars they have in it? All due respect, but I don't think that
> Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller will be able to pull this off.

Ben Stiller is a joke actor...I cannot see him in ANY serious part.

Can anyone explain to me the fascination with Owen Wilson in general?  Haven't seen much of his acting, but personally I have not been too impressed.  That pretty much means, he WILL be the next bit SUPERSTAR.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Johnny Z
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 06:19:17 PM »

I believe that it isn't supposed to be serious. God I hope it isn't supposed to be serious. The only 2 films I liked Owen Wilson in were The Minus Man and the first film he was in with Jackie Chan, can't recall the title.

If it's on Cinemax past midnight, it has to be bad.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 06:28:19 PM »

Shanghai Noon
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2004, 06:15:59 AM »

I thought I'd weigh in here.

Starsk and Hutch is a parody of the television show.  And, let's face it - the show itself was a self-parody even if it never ment to be.

So, what we have here is a parody of a parody.  Hurts the brain.

I, for one, have found the previews to be entertaining, at least, although I have little hope for the actual movie.  One line inparticular from the trailer sticks out in my memory:

"It's a '76.  It's not coming out until next year, but I know some people, who know some people, who steal from some people."

That's funny, I don't care who you are.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Eirik
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2004, 09:43:41 AM »

"Starsk and Hutch is a parody of the television show. And, let's face it - the show itself was a self-parody even if it never ment to be.
So, what we have here is a parody of a parody. Hurts the brain."

You could say that about any of Christopher Guest's movies.  I mean heavy metal, community theater, dog shows and folk music?  Way to go after the challenging targets.
G Jacobsen
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2004, 08:40:42 PM »

Don't waste your money on this flick.  The jokes are flat and the acting is horrible.  Ben Stiller has lots of talent, but it isn't apparent in this movie because the script is sooooooo bad.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2004, 09:07:12 PM »

I haven't seen this movie. I might(and that's a big might). I  really like Qwen and Ben(they've done some awesome stuff) but I just get this weird feeling when ever I see the previews.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Starsky and Hutch movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.