Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:59:19 PM
715625 Posts in 53148 Topics by 7766 Members
Latest Member: Epiphonecbc
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 646508 times)
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1530 on: September 19, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »

Unless this is a ghost or something saying this, they are either ignorant about how to use a well-known word or they're a liar.

BounceGiggle

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1531 on: September 19, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »

Here's something that has bugged me since we moved to this town. The local supermarket has checkouts that are just a couple of inches too close together to fit a cart through. You have to empty your cart, leave it sitting there with a loose cluster of other discarded carts that somebody has to put away, then grab another cart on the other side to take your groceries out. Bad planning, sure. But what really annoyed me was when they remodeled the store, which included removing and replacing stuff at that end of the store, and the checkouts are still that close together. All the pretty cosmetic changes and they couldn't redistribute some of the space to make it more functional. Maybe take a foot or two from the cart corral and the smoke counter, both of which seem to be bigger than they need to be.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1532 on: September 19, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »

Not sure if this has come up, but...people who misuse the word "literally." 

Example: "Aw man, when that guy did that thing in that movie, I literally died laughing." No. No you did not. Unless this is a ghost or something saying this, they are either ignorant about how to use a well-known word or they're a liar.

Yes, it has been brought up before, but I don't mind it coming up again. I hate this. I understand that people bend the meaning of words sometimes for emphasis, but this one is just plain wrong.

A coworker of mine once said he "literally" crapped his pants because something was so funny. I called him on it and he got really annoyed, like I was supposed to understand that he was really saying that he "figuratively" crapped his pants. Okay, you should just say "I crapped my pants it was so funny." I would have caught that you were being figurative, but when you say you "literally" crapped your pants then you saying without a doubt that you deposited poo in your trousers. Don't get mad at me for questioning it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1533 on: September 19, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »

Example: "Aw man, when that guy did that thing in that movie, I literally died laughing." No. No you did not. Unless this is a ghost or something saying this, they are either ignorant about how to use a well-known word or they're a liar.

Yes, it has been brought up before, but I don't mind it coming up again. I hate this. I understand that people bend the meaning of words sometimes for emphasis, but this one is just plain wrong.

A coworker of mine once said he "literally" crapped his pants because something was so funny. I called him on it and he got really annoyed, like I was supposed to understand that he was really saying that he "figuratively" crapped his pants. Okay, you should just say "I crapped my pants it was so funny." I would have caught that you were being figurative, but when you say you "literally" crapped your pants then you saying without a doubt that you deposited poo in your trousers. Don't get mad at me for questioning it.

When he said "literally" you were expected to understand that he meant the exact opposite, and that made him mad. Hope you cuffed him upside the head.

---------------------
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1534 on: September 19, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »

When he said "literally" you were expected to understand that he meant the exact opposite, and that made him mad. Hope you cuffed him upside the head.

If it wouldn't have put me in danger of losing my job, I would have.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1535 on: September 19, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »

If it wouldn't have put me in danger of losing my job, I would have.

BounceGiggle

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1536 on: September 20, 2011, 09:15:08 AM »

I hate it when somebody calls me up to sell me something, firing off their sales pitch too quickly for me to get a word in and just refusing to stop when I do. I usually just hang up. However, now I'm getting people doing that while soliciting charitable donations for worthy causes. When somebody calls up representing the March of Dimes or some such thing, I might not want to give them anything, but I still don't want to be rude. But now I'm getting the same pushy bastards with their aggressive sales techniques calling me up and taking advantage of my reluctance to slam down the phone on somebody soliciting for charity, after telling him to go f**k himself. They leave me no choice but to do that, then I have to feel bad about it. Putting me in that position is more maddening than the pushy sales pitch itself.

---------------------
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1537 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:43 AM »

I hate it when somebody calls me up to sell me something, firing off their sales pitch too quickly for me to get a word in and just refusing to stop when I do. I usually just hang up. However, now I'm getting people doing that while soliciting charitable donations for worthy causes. When somebody calls up representing the March of Dimes or some such thing, I might not want to give them anything, but I still don't want to be rude. But now I'm getting the same pushy bastards with their aggressive sales techniques calling me up and taking advantage of my reluctance to slam down the phone on somebody soliciting for charity, after telling him to go f**k himself. They leave me no choice but to do that, then I have to feel bad about it. Putting me in that position is more maddening than the pushy sales pitch itself.

I've been getting a lot of that lately myself

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1538 on: September 20, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »

The Conservative Party

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1539 on: September 20, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »

I miss our girls now that they're at college.  They answered the phone every single time and if it was a telemarketer they thought absolutely nothing of hanging up on them.   BounceGiggle

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1540 on: September 20, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »

I hate that too. I big part of why this is a growing problem is simply because of how the phone world has changed. Caller ID is par for the course now, so people receiving calls from solicitors typically don't even pick up. People have gotten so reluctant to answer anything other than numbers they recognize that outbound callers can easily dial well over 100 time before getting a single answer sometimes. And when somebody does pick up, they are usually have a defensive posture already, and understandably so for the most part. Because of such low percentages of actual contact, combined with still having goals to meet, the approach of solicitors has grown increasingly more aggressive.

The best defense is registering on the DO NOT CALL registry. Solicitors systems are supposed to recognize that a number is registered as DO NOT CALL. Not that they alwasy do, of course. However, the regulations work to where they can be fined a significant amount if they call numbers that are registered as DO NOT CALL and that person has not inquired or requested information from the organization. However, the person with the registered number has to complain, or else no fine will be assessed, and I think there has to be a reasonable notice to the caller that they do not want to be contacted again.

Also, most people don't know that hanging up on these people is exactly what you SHOULDN'T DO. They are almost guaranteed to call back. These people do nothing but dial all day and expect to dial hundreds of times and only get an answer a very few times. Unless you tell them explicitly to never call you again, they will surely continue to do so.

My advice. Don't hang up on them anymore. Step 1, register as DO NOT CALL (look it up on the Internet). Step 2, when called, unless you inquired with them, inform them that you are registered as DO NOT CALL and advise them never to call again or you will report them and they could be fined. If you keep doing this, eventually the number of calls will go down.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1541 on: September 20, 2011, 04:35:59 PM »

My school siad I have to take 4 years of science, but the state requires 4 credits of science. I already have 5, WTF?!!

yeah no.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1542 on: September 20, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »

I know this has been brought up before, but it's really getting on my nerves today.

People who use the word "obviously" on a regular basis. I know most of the time they don't mean to abuse the meaning of the word, but really, it's almost as bad as the people who misuse "literally."

In my view the word "obviously" is a one that should rarely be used, because using it would seem to suggest that something that should be easily understood is not being understood. In other words, it's not a very flattering thing to say to somebody.

If what you're saying is obviouse, they why are you saying it? Would I already know it? Or do you mean that I SHOULD know what you're talking about and you're really saying I'm a moron?

People do things like this sometimes because they are nervous, and it's not an uncommon mechanism to throw words into sentences that don't belong there, sort of like fluff. It just makes the person look bad. It's not unlike somebody to insert words such as "like" or "basically" all over the place.

I guess I just hold people to high standards, but it's not as if I don't apply those standards to myself, so at least I'm not being hypocritical.

Yesterday I was at an appliance store and asking some questions about a refridgerator, and the guy kept saying "obviously" when explaining features to me. I finally got so annoyed that I interrupted him in the middle of a sentence and said "then why are you telling me?" It occured to me that he was just rattling on about features I really didn't even care much about. I guess what I'm really saying is that people that pepper their speech with "like" and "basically" and "literally" don't really have much to say and really don't care about what they're saying.

Then again, maybe I'm just an a***ole.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1543 on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »

Ha, I always say obviously. It probably annoys people but eh by sometimes it just seems to fit...

Black flies also freakin' biting me and leaving big itchy bites, that really annoys me and grinds my gears so to speak.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1544 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »

Was just reminded of another peeve today. When you order something online and they notify you that your order has been shipped and give you a tracking number, when in reality all they've done is sent the information to the courier and gotten a tracking number. The order, meanwhile, might not even be filled, much less shipped.

---------------------
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.