Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:59:34 AM
715259 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2123589 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2025 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »

Shoot 'Em Up- Very fun movie!   Thumbup
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2026 on: March 16, 2010, 06:54:44 AM »

House of Bones (2010) - A Ghost Hunters type TV show crew go to a haunted house, only to discover it really is haunted.  Will they make it out alive?  This starts out like a silly parody - the host is a prima donna, the producer's only concerned with ratings, and the cinematographer tells the psychic chick to save her emotional observations until the cameras are rolling.  In other words, blatant stereotypes.  The backstory for the haunting is stolen pretty much verbatim from Dead Birds.  Halfway through it decides it wants to be a serious horror movie...sort of.  It still can't make up its mind.  There's no atmosphere whatsoever and it relies on numerous lame jump scares as nobody involved bothered to look up the word "suspense" in the dictionary.  And the one-dimensional characters just can't pull it off.  Still, it was mildly entertaining and I'll give them credit for at least trying to make a scary movie.  3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2027 on: March 16, 2010, 10:46:10 AM »

Umrao Jaan (2006)- I had planned on avoiding 10 (3 actually) hour Bollywood movies for a while but this one snuck down my queue while I wasn't looking. The big selling point here is Aishwarya Ray and her Walter (or his wife actually but I can't remember her name. She is the one who really did the paintings) Keane -esque egg sized eyes.  She cries alot in the movie and her eyes get all red. It is almost gory and they they should have got some visene or something.  and she cries too much. They manage to turn down the cheese a lot for this one, but it's still pretty Disney and safe. Being a hooker means people get you things and say "avec pleasir madam" yeah right.  I wouldn't quite call this languid, it is too fancy and the emotions too squashed down and equalized away from anything to extreme other than gentle sobbing and mild elation, but the scenery and the costumes are quite nice, much more sophisticated and tasteful than the dialogue and story and it does have a kind of fancy, relaxed vibe to it.  Like a really really nice Indian restaurant.  If you like Pretty Woman this is I guess the sadder, ancient Indian cousin except it's twice as long and with a heavily reverbed female voice singing in the background most of the time. 3/5
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:50:36 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2028 on: March 16, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »

Joe - did you see it again already?  Smile
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« Reply #2029 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »

About 2 hours ago I finished watching It Conquered the World (1956).

It was very cheesy fun.  I give it 6.8 out of 13 stars. It would have 6.6 except the monster looked really cool.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2030 on: March 17, 2010, 10:59:13 AM »

Liberated Zone (2004)-  I get weird cravings for movies.  For some reason I really wanted to see a German movie.  Maybe because I am weirdly half German (a grandmother on one side and grandfather on the other side) or all the freezing rain we've been getting ( don't german people like pain and death and stuf?)  So I went and searched netflix for one.  All of them were either about the holocaust or gay romance. Finally on the elevendy-ith page I found what appeared to be a normal comedy.

I think it's called the Liberated Zone because it takes place in east germany. That has nothing to do with the movie as far as I can tell but maybe it is some sort of subtext that a non german wouldn't get? Who knows. Perhaps it's some kind of epithet as East Germany appears to be not as cool as West germany in this at least in terms of it's economy and oh yes: Soccer!

Here's the plot: a soccer team gets a visionary new owner who does two things:  hires an eccentric coach (one "drill" he does is having them all laugh for a while ) and most importantly hires an aging but spectacular superstar, a black guy with a haved head who looks like like Seal and whom they affectionately call "Blondie". The team starts wininng.  

That's about half the story. The other half is the people in this town and how they all cheat on each other. When they aren't drinking great big bottles or cans of beer the one thing people in whatever the town was called enjoy is philandering around.  

It started off really rather mediocre, unfunny and I was going to write it off as "german comedy that doesn't travel well" but I ended up really liking it. It reminded me somewhat of Luke Moodysons "together" but it alot less indy and more sort of , I don't want to say working class, but more straightforward and less clever. I liked especially how it all ties together as this sociological sort of study and I would recommend it.  4/5

trailer is in German but you get the idea

Small | Large

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:29:08 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2031 on: March 17, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »

ALICE (2009, miniseries): Karate instructor Alice finds herself in Wonderland, 150 years after her predecessor of the same name; things have changed drastically, as the Red Queen now rules a totalitarian society with an economy that depends on a fresh supply of people from our world to keep the natives pacified.  This was surprisingly entertaining. Downsides are poor CGI and action sequences and a terrible climax that goes from contrived to completely cornball.  The upside is I really like the Wonderland created here (it has a 1960s "mod" look like in James Bond or Austin powers films, but slightly more psychedelic), and the premise was interesting enough to keep me watching.  I was able to watch the 3 hrs in one sitting without getting bored.  3/5.

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES (1971):  Supervillian Dr. Phibes (Vincent Price) takes revenge on the doctors who failed to save his wife's life by killing them in bizarre ways.  Enormously entertaining comic book on film; Phibes' hideout, which is done up art-deco style, is one of the greatest villain's lairs ever created, and there are nice touches of campy black comedy throughout. 4.5/5. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pilgermann

« Reply #2032 on: March 17, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »

Paths of Glory - Watched this for the first time the other night and it's fantastic!  Not only wonderful for it's technical aspects, but the performances are great, the music's great, and it makes its point very well.

The Resurrected - Aside from some stiff acting here and there and some lapses in logic, this is a cool horror flick.  Captures the Lovecraftian dread very well.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2033 on: March 17, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »

Groundhog Day: My class just watched this movie to dicuss themes around the movie.  I personally found it to be good, though a few said the movie was lame or that Bill Murray was too creepy.  Weird.

Like I said, I thought was good.  The acting was great with Bill Murray showing how good he was at being both a funny and serious actor.  The premise was great and the all characters were perfect, bringing the whole town to life.  It moved me a bit and got me thinking about what would I do if I was in his situation.  It is a perfect movie in my view.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2034 on: March 17, 2010, 05:18:26 PM »

Pilgermann- have you ever seen "the Hill"? with sean connery
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2035 on: March 17, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show

The Income Tax Man (1951) (Season 1, Episode 12) (Starring George Burns, Gracie Allen, Bill Goodwin, Bea Benadaret, John Brown, Joseph Kearns and Frank Jaquet. Written by Paul Henning, Sid Dorfman, Harvey Helm and William Burns. Directed by Ralph Levy. Plot synopsis: George and Gracie’s tax accountant has a devil of a time trying to figure out Gracie’s proposed tax deductibles. Later the Burns’ baker Mr. Miller visits to ask a favor. He wants George to attend his company’s banquet. Bill Goodwin pops over for a visit and volunteers to M.C. at the banquet and then goes into his usual spiel about Carnation Milk.

There's some really funny bits done here. One that's effectively done here is the passing of items to someone else so that you yourself end up with more than the other fellow is done effectively with several characters here involving either the passing of money or cigars. The constant stuff with the Carnation Milk though gets a bit old after a while and was very old to me watching these episodes one after another. Here it's even used as a suggested means of paying taxes?!  Lookingup 

The Beverly Hills Uplift Society (1951) (Season 2, Episode 2) (Starring George Burns, Gracie Allen, Harry Von Zell, Bea Benadaret, Fred Clark, Florence Bates, Lew Merrill, Verna Hillie, Joyce McCluskey, Hope Sansberry, Margie Liszt, Mary Adams and Cicely Browne. Written by Paul Henning, Sid Dorfman, Harvey Helm and William Burns. Directed by Ralph Levy. Plot synopsis: When Gracie forgets to pay the rent on their clubhouse, her women’s club The Beverly Hills Uplift Society have nowhere to hold their weekly meetings and so instead they hold it in the Burns’ living room, much to George’s chagrin.

Lots of funny stuff from George here with regards to women's club during the time in which this was made. Funny little bit with Harry Von Zell, Bill Goodwin's replacement Carnation walking advertisement being made an honorary member of the women's club. Fred Clark appears in this one as Harry Morton, a continuing supporting role that seemed to go through several actors.

Teenage Girl Spends the Weekend (1951) (Season 1, Episode 16) (Starring George Burns, Gracie Allen, Bill Goodwin, Bea Benadaret, John Brown, Jean Mahoney and Bill Coontz. Written by Paul Henning, Sid Dorfman, Harvey Helm and William Burns. Directed by Ralph Levy. Plot synopsis: George and Gracie agree to take in their neighbors’ teenage daughter Emily Vandelip for the weekend. Meanwhile Harry and Blanche Morton have a marital spat.

This is a really entertaining episode. Lots of thoughtful stand-up style comedy from George. Gracie is her usual ditzy self and I loved when teenager Emily called Bill Goodwin, who has usual winds up chatting her up about Carnation Milk, an old creep.

Life With Elizabeth

Episode 1.4 (1953) Photography/First Day Back to Work/Confused Senses (Season 1, Episode 4) (Starring Betty White, Del Moore and Loie Bridge. Written by Milt Kahn and George Tibbles. Directed by Duke Goldstone. Plot synopsis: 1. Alvin takes photographs of Elizabeth from varying angles. 2. Alvin prepares for his first day of work following his honeymoon. 3. Confusion ensues as Alvin, returning from the dentist with a swollen mouth, meets up with Mrs. Skinridge, who’s got blurred vision due to eyedrops at the optometrist and then Elizabeth returns home, hers ears ringing from a plane flight.

This was pretty hit and miss. Some jokes hit home but most seem rather forced and silly. Still interesting to see a young Betty White is something so early and she truly is the best thing about this show too and definitely brings the show's funny while Del Moore acts more a straight man.

Episode 1.8 (1953) Visit From Baby Niece/First Business Trip Away/Roughin’ It (Season 1, Episode 8 ) (Starring Betty White, Del Moore and LeRoy Linnert. Written by Milt Kahn and George Tibbles. Directed by Duke Goldstone. Plot synopsis: 1. Alvin and Elizabeth prepare for a visit from her infant niece and eventually end up in an argument about the appropriateness of nursery rhymes. 2. Alvin for the first time since getting married has to leave Elizabeth to go on a business trip. 3. Alvin and Elizabeth decide to rough it in the country at their friend Moosey Moosefield’s cabin in order to go fishing.

I found this one funnier than Episode 4. The bickering between Moore and White is surprisingly believable and realistic and yet also hilarious and ultimately good-natured. The stuff with Moosey Moosefield I liked a little less as it was more in the realm of silly humor again.

Easter Time/Clay Modeling/Gardening (1953-1954?) (Starring Betty White, Del Moore, Charlotte Lawrence. Written by Milt Kahn and George Tibbles. Directed by Duke Goldstone. Plot synopsis: 1. Elizabeth and Alvin decide to decorate some Easter eggs and wind up in an argument. 2. Elizabeth, taking a modeling class at night school has to make a clay model. 3. Elizabeth and Alvin decide to do a bit of badly needed gardening only to be interrupted by ditzy neighbor Babs.

This episode was O.K.. It had its moments here and there. Neighbor Babs provides some good laughs with how genuinely dumb she is.

Annoying Mannerisms/The Stupid Drapes/Visit From a Bulldog (1953-1954?) (Starring Betty White, Del Moore and Jack Smith. Written by Milt Kahn and George Tibbles. Directed by Duke Goldstone. Plot synopsis: 1. Alvin and Elizabeth get into an argument about each other’s annoying little habits and mannerisms. 2. Elizabeth and Alvin get thoroughly frustrated trying to properly hang the stupid drapes. 3. Alvin is excited to get a visit from his old army buddy Bulldog while Elizabeth is pleased Bulldog treats her like a lady.

Now this one was really funny. The mannerisms part rings very true and "Three's Company" many years later did an episode very similar to this. Hanging the drapes too...who hasn't been there at some point in their life. Having to assemble something that has terrible instructions and proves just a nightmare to put together.

Sunday Paper Time/Annoying Phone Calls/Changing a Flat Tire (1953-1954?) (Starring Betty White, Del Moore and Jack Smith. Written by George Tibbles. Directed by William Berke. Plot synopsis: 1. Elizabeth and Alvin are happy to relax outside with their Sunday paper on Sunday afternoon until a storm swoops in. 2. After moving in, Elizabeth and Alvin have to deal with annoying phone call after phone call requesting the previous owners of their new house. 3. On their way to a formal dance, Bulldog has a flat tire. He and Alvin get out to fix it but Elizabeth ends up doing more to fix it than both of them combined.

I really liked this episode too. Betty White is just super funny in this one which portrays her as in fact being way smarter, and more handy in fact, than her man although she never boasts about it and always does it in the background so as to not embarrass hubby.

Alvin the Grouch/The New Swimming Pool/Swindled (1953-1954?) (Starring Betty White, Del Moore. Written by Milt Kahn and George Tibbles. Directed by Duke Goldstone. Plot synopsis: 1. A grouchy Alvin returns home from work and wants Elizabeth to help him with his workload. Elizabeth, to his chagrin, insists however on making work fun. 2. Elizabeth and Alvin decide to buy a new large inflatable swimming pool but instead end up with a kids size blow-up pool. 3. After being swindled by a crook selling worthless underwater property, Alvin and Elizabeth seek the aid of their friend, another swindler named Riverboat Bill.

The first two portions of this one are better than the last although Alvin is perhaps a little too nasty a grouch in the first story. Elizabeth's unique filing system, actually a joke at Alvin's expense, reminds me of something Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls might have said.

At times Life With Elizabeth is just a bit too sappy and silly for its own good yet Betty White sometimes is so talented a comedian she rises above the material. Del Moore makes a good straight man for her as well although it's really White's Elizabeth here who is the brains of the operation.

It was interesting to get a taste and look at 1950s style comedy though. It's almost like looking at a time capsule into another time. I am however to be honest more looking forward to the upcoming crime stories DVD (these are from Treeline's 100 Episodes Megapack) with a mix of many different shows from the era.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:56:39 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pilgermann

« Reply #2036 on: March 17, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »

Pilgermann- have you ever seen "the Hill"? with sean connery

Nope, should I?

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2037 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »

The Dunwich Horror (2009) - A woman gives birth to a very Lovecraftian monster, and a group of demon hunters embark on a rather convoluted journey to track it down and send it back where it came from.  This was actually kind of good.  It was weird, moderately confused, featured at least one completely comical special effect, and had fairly enjoyable characters.  It didn't get boring and it even had a hot babe in it   TeddyR 3.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #2038 on: March 17, 2010, 10:55:26 PM »

I watched The Wild Angels (1966).

It was entertaining, although I can't put a finger on why.

It was interesting that none of the main characters were likable people.  They might have had some good qualities, but were overall angry, violent, and nasty gang members.

7.5 out of 13 stars

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2039 on: March 18, 2010, 09:24:30 AM »

Pilgermann- yes,  it's similar to paths of glory and of similar quality

Jerichow (2008) - well for the first time in a long time Germany has gone two for two.  I enjoyed Liberated Zone yesterday and liked this one just as much. It's about a down on his luck guy who becomes not down on his luck by going into business with a guy but actually he is down on his luck in way because he starts a fling with the guys wife. Well, then again that's not exactly down on your luck. Anyway, The director seems aware that the story is not hugely original and he does a great job of moving the usual parts around a bit to make it more fresh.  I was impressed with his respect for Ali, the businessman, and his portrayal of him as not being as "good" as the others but being wiser and not without good qualities, which is kind of rare in film or the arts period outside of say Ayn Rand. Liberated Zone had that too, is capitalism coming into vogue in Germany? 

Problems I had were the opening scene which amounted to little more than red herring and also the woman is pretty but she isn't THAT pretty and she's not 34 her given age in the movie. The director doesn't really even frame her as a particularly beautiful and it's only late in the day that we even get a good look at her, though, again like Liberated Zone, there is alot of sexuality but no nudity. The guy is I think out of her league despite his lower position in life. Their affair is kind of ridiculous because they don't go somewhere to have it, they are like in the next room copping a quick feel while the other guy is on the phone or something. They do it again and again guys how about going at least 100 yards away from poor Ali!  a solid 4 stars and bonus half star for a particularly well done ending.

4.5/5

Small | Large
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:16:10 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.