Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 08:51:38 AM
715291 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2123919 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2805 on: September 12, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »

Small | Large

Scott Walker 30 Century Man -  I bought Scott Walkers Tilt not really knowing what it was when it was reissued by the hip US indie label Drag City back in the 90's .  At first I hated it but it grew on me in a big big way eventually becoming really one of my favorite records ever.  I knew a guy who was into his earlier neil Diamond -ey stuff and liked it but didn't own any of it. So this documentary was a good way to figure out that I need to get Scott 4 and Nite Flights, not to mention Climate of the Hunter.  

Basically Walker, an american, had a high brow but also romantic sensibility that was well tailored to Britain in the 60's. As one commenter, Johnny Marr of the Smiths, noted, he was as much a part of that era as Cream just in a different less universally appreciated way. This is not to say he wasn't popular there, he was his band The Walker brothers (they weren't brothers or named walker) had a bunch of huge hits but it wasn't the stuff of teen rebellion and peace protests and so forth, more like gothic romance novels or something.

Eventually Walker went in a very different direction and didn't bother trying to do anything remotely commercial. A funny part of the movie is when Marc Almond of Soft Cell talks about how much he disliked Tilt which makes sense.  It's an avant garde album.  There is some really good stuff of him recording the follow up The Drift, which is also an incredible album.  He uses all sorts of weird instruments, stuff he has built and a 36 piece orchestra who are tasked with "sounding like a ww2 bomber 50 miles away" real eccentric stuff, but it's all planned out and and it all works.  David Bowie produced this and he and people from radiohead, blur, Pulp a bunch of british people I don't know and unfortunatly Sting are in this.

5/5
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:00:29 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2806 on: September 15, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »

I've been in a Johnnie To mood   Smile

Exiled
Triad Election
Mad detective

Exiled is my favorite of these three.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2807 on: September 16, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »

Narrow Margin (1948) - not the atmospheric existentialist sort of noir more just a good straightforward crime story. Set on a train: The cop is transporting a gangsters widow and from the get go other gangsters are trying to kill him and get to her. Marie WIndsor is the moll and she is very good as one of these tough broads they have in these movies. Often when noirs try this basic sort of approach they end up talky and dull but this one works if it's not as wildly imaginative as some others. tightly packed into 72 minutes, check it out 4/5
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:37:26 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2808 on: September 16, 2010, 01:07:55 PM »

ARTOIS THE GOAT (2009): An intellectual young man becomes obsessed with creating a perfect goat cheese, jeopardizing his relationship with his fiancee.  There will never be a movie that captures the thrill, excitement and romance of cheesemaking---milking the goats, separating the curds from the whey, aging the finished product---as well as this one does.  It's got a good heart and provides a few chuckles.  2.5/5. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2809 on: September 16, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »

Alien and Aliens, love them both  Thumbup

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2810 on: September 16, 2010, 11:06:05 PM »

It was a rainy afternoon: I finally watched The Evil Dead.  I enjoyed it - but I am thinking it probably was a bit more...impressive...in 1982?  I found the continuity flaws distracting and I shouldn't have.   Lookingup  Definitely a two-slimer like Andrew's review says.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jim H

« Reply #2811 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »

I saw Roxie Hart a while ago.  This is the second version of Chicago, before the most recent incarnation with Catherine Zeta Jones.  It was a decent screwball comedy.  Pretty tame content wise compared to the original, from what I gather.  Some good lines, though like a lot of screwball from this era, a lot of the humor just doesn't really work for me.  Still, its brisk 75 minute run really helps.

7/10.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2812 on: September 19, 2010, 06:21:57 AM »

The Phantom Empire (1989) - A group of people go into a cave system looking for treasure.  Instead then find some really silly looking creatures.  Then Michelle Bauer shows up and leads them to the other end of the cave, where they find Sybil Danning, an alien who wants to do, I dunno, something with them.  Directed by Fred Olen Ray, this was just way too goofy for my tastes.  The first half of it was pretty boring as well.  About the only reason to watch this is that Michelle Bauer spends a minute or two running around topless, and of course Sybil Danning shows off some cleavage.  2.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2813 on: September 19, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »

Airplane! (1980) I guess everyone saw this and kept laughing.... Also, I believe that this is one of the key spoof movies out there, as well as Scary Movie and Blazing Saddles. Wink

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2814 on: September 19, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »

MIRRORMASK (2005): With her mother due to undergo surgery, a circus girl enters a dream where an evil queen and a good queen fight for control of a magical land (and for the girl's soul, obviously).  It's virtues mildly outweigh its faults and its hard top dislike, but this LABYRINTH-style psychological coming-of-age fantasy is extremely uneven, right down to the extremely imaginative but often fake-looking CGI design.  3/5.    

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean

« Reply #2815 on: September 19, 2010, 10:34:12 AM »

Just saw The Other Guys [2010]:

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are desk-bound cops who step up to become the 'hero's when Sammy L Jackson and The Rock, the city's previous top cops, fall off the scene.

Overall it was a solid 3/5.  Some funny moments with a great performance by Eva Mendes by the by, but I felt like overall that they pulled their punches: there were a few jokes they could have made but didn't.  Still, it had some silly action, some good banter between Wahlberg and Ferrell and I always like seeing Ferrell scream like a girl...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2816 on: September 19, 2010, 11:01:44 AM »

Blade Runner- Kinda slow but very interesting, this was my first viewing of this I'm ashamed to say. I liked it  Thumbup

Planet Terror- One of my favorites, good, gooey fun by Gregory Nicoteros KNB effects, love this movie  Thumbup

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
dean

« Reply #2817 on: September 19, 2010, 12:00:26 PM »

Blade Runner- Kinda slow but very interesting, this was my first viewing of this I'm ashamed to say. I liked it  Thumbup

Which one of the million different versions did you watch, if you know that is?

I think there's the Original, the Workprint Cut, The Director's Cut and the Final Cut [and I'm pretty sure I'm missing one still as well...]

They're all great of course, but the crucial difference being that some have a voice over, and some don't.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2818 on: September 19, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

Which one of the million different versions did you watch, if you know that is?

I think there's the Original, the Workprint Cut, The Director's Cut and the Final Cut [and I'm pretty sure I'm missing one still as well...]

They're all great of course, but the crucial difference being that some have a voice over, and some don't.

It was the Final Cut, and I don't remember if it had voiceover or not. Which part were they located? I read that Harrison Ford didn't like the voiceovers and clashed with Ridley Scott.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2819 on: September 20, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »

Hollywood High 2 (1981)- I liked this but it wasn't as crazy and awesome as I remember. It's second generation vhs copy transferred to DVD and I think it was cut because I remember there being more nudity. There's still some and the girls are pretty hot and it has a good plotless "Malibu Beach" type feel. If someone would rerelease this and part 1, which as I recall was funnier but has less nudity, that would be perfect.

4/5
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.