Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 10:55:04 PM
715309 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2124078 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9525 on: March 02, 2016, 02:12:58 AM »

Chappie: District 9 meets Short Circuit. I enjoyed it, although Kristi really didn't get the movie at all.

I stopped watching Neil Blomkamp's films when I realized that all he is actually doing is dissing South Africa over and over again.  Thumbdown

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9526 on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »

SON OF SAUL (2015): A member of the Sonderkommando (Jewish death camp prisoners forced to herd other Jews into the gas chambers) becomes obsessed with giving one of the bodies a proper Jewish burial, risking his own life and the lives of his comrades to do so. Surprisingly confident direction from newcomer László Nemes that wisely turns the story almost into a thriller rather than a standard Holocaust drama, relentlessly emphasizing Saul's personal experience (to the extent that the horrors of the gas chamber are seen out-of-focus). I didn't see all the entries but it's hard to say that this was undeserving of its Foreign Language Film Oscar. 5/5.

ORPHEUS (1950): The myth of Orpheus retold in modern post-war Paris with a couple of twists: now, Death is in love with Orpheus and Death's chauffeur has the hots for Eurydice. Jean Cocteau's greatest achievement: beautiful, dreamlike, poetic. 5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9527 on: March 04, 2016, 11:33:25 PM »

"Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery" (1997)
Small | Large

The debut of Mike "SNL" Myers' shagadelically-obsessed British secret agent who was frozen in the '60s and then revived in the '90s when his old nemesis returns with a plot to take over the world. This affectionate ode to '60s spy flicks is juvenile and silly but still funny as hell. The lovely Elizabeth Hurley (whatever happened to her anyway?) provides the eye candy.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9528 on: March 05, 2016, 09:43:35 AM »

"Danger: Diabolik" (1968)
Small | Large

Mario Bava directed this campy, colorful action flick (based on a popular Italian comic series) which is kinda like a blend of James Bond and the '60s "Batman" TV show. A high-tech master thief known only as "Diabolik" has a Batcave full of cool gadgets and a smokin' hot girlfriend/accomplice. Due to his talent for pulling off seemingly-impossible heists, Diabolik isn't just wanted by the good guys at Interpol, but also by the European crime syndicate, who are tired of him stealing their thunder. Very Sixties, very groovy!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #9529 on: March 05, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »

"Danger: Diabolik" (1968)
http://youtu.be/QTcGTEK0Q2g

Mario Bava directed this campy, colorful action flick (based on a popular Italian comic series) which is kinda like a blend of James Bond and the '60s "Batman" TV show. A high-tech master thief known only as "Diabolik" has a Batcave full of cool gadgets and a smokin' hot girlfriend/accomplice. Due to his talent for pulling off seemingly-impossible heists, Diabolik isn't just wanted by the good guys at Interpol, but also by the European crime syndicate, who are tired of him stealing their thunder. Very Sixties, very groovy!

His lovely lady friend is played by Marisa Mell. My god, what a beautiful woman!

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9530 on: March 05, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »

I haven't been watching a lot of movies lately, as I have been writing like crazy on my latest novel (some 60 pages or so in two weeks, going to try and write another chapter here in a bit).  But I did take a break last night and watch a couple of films, neither of which was worth the rental fee.

DRACULA REBORN was a low-budget vampire flick about a female journalist and her friends trying to track down the "Drakula Kult" operating in France.  The plot was hard to follow, and although the actresses were cute, in the end it's jus this journalist and her friends all getting taken down by vampires.  It didn't even have any of the classic Euro-vampire flick nudity that was so popular in the 60's and 70's - just stilted dialogue, a boring plot, and a homely, bald Dracula.  2/5

ZOOMBIES was an Asylum release, and maybe it would have been OK, but I was so sleepy when I put it in I had a hard time getting through it - I kept dozing off!  But the plot was that some monkeys in this zoo were dying of an unknown virus, so the vet decided to try an experimental drug on them which transformed them into raging, aggressive undead simians, who proceeded to infect every other animal in the zoo.  I know it ended with the aviary blowing up, but I'm a little fuzzy on how it got there. 3/5, maybe better, but I don't remember substantial chunks of it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #9531 on: March 05, 2016, 11:53:20 PM »

The Aliens Are Coming (1980)

Hidden behind a meteor shower, aliens land almost unnoticed in a desert with intentions of taking over the world. They possess the body of a hoover dam worker in order to obtain hydro-electric energy, which they know nothing about but seem important to them anyway. Meanwhile a UFO-Geek from some institute, his female colleague and a female reporter are investigating while trying to prevent the evil alien invasion.

Made for TV pilot that never took off. This is a very old school alien invasion type affair but still trying to be 'contemporary.' The aliens are part robot and organic and speak with a robotic human voice. Once they take over humans their eyes shine brightly green. Still, this wasn't great and neither really bad. Mild Saturday night entertainment. 2.5/5

The People Across the Lake (1988)

Tired of the hectic city life a young family of four purchase an old house by a lake in rural country. Soon enough they must endure redneck harassment in all kind of shape and form.  Not only that, dismembered body parts are discovered hinting at the work of a serial killer. As the family digs deeper they untangle a dark mystery that puts them into mortal danger.

Solid but not great TV terror flick dipping into slasher territory with a healthy dose of dark humor, mostly provided by Valerie Harper playing the mom. Gerald McRaney who plays the father has the only "nude" scenes. He even flashes his naked butt for a brief moment which I thought was unusual for a TV movie. 3.5/5

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:36:18 AM by claws » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9532 on: March 06, 2016, 10:29:04 AM »

MON ONCLE (1958): A young boy being raised in a sterile modernist home prefers the company of his childlike uncle, one M. Hulot. I'm not really into these Hulot pictures; there's an awful lot of mise en scene to chew on for very little satirical nourishment. Considering this was viewed as the height of comedy in France at the time, it's easy to see how Jerry Lewis was able to conquer the country. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9533 on: March 06, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »

Last night Patty and I watched THE MARTIAN.  A very impressive and realistic film; I can see why it was nominated for Best Picture. Matt Damon was perfect in the title role, and Jeff Daniels had a great supporting turn as the Director of NASA.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #9534 on: March 06, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »

Just a quick heads up about some more recent films I actually really enjoyed - most of these surprised me by being better than I expected and the majority of these delivered a great sense of fun, action and/or adventure, oftentimes all three:

Tomorrowland (2015)  Thumbup **** out of ***** stars

Ant-Man (2015)  Thumbup **** out of ***** stars

Pixels (2015)  Thumbup **** out of ***** stars (best Sandler movie in some time IMO)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Thumbup **** out of ***** stars

Warrior (2011)  Thumbup **** out of ***** stars

Also really enjoyed the following but found it to have some flaws which limited my enjoyment:

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)  Thumbup ***3/4 out of ***** stars (problem with this was at times it looked and felt a little too much like a video game)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:33:41 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9535 on: March 07, 2016, 06:49:21 AM »

Last night I watched THE GREEN MILE, one of my favorite adaptations of any Stephen King novel.  Incredible performances all around, and a heart breaking story.  5/5

Then I watched a little indie horror film called BLACK MOUNTAIN SIDE.  Archeologists in Canada uncover a 20,000 year old temple and then begin going mad, one by one, harming themselves and each other.  Interesting premise, but very slow paced. 3/5
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:51:48 AM by indianasmith » Logged

claws
« Reply #9536 on: March 07, 2016, 07:29:31 AM »

We Are Still Here (2015)

Married couple mourning the loss of their son move to snowbound rural country. It appears their house is haunted, though the wife is convinced their dead son's spirit is roaming about. They invite psychic friends and soon discover the house is a paranormal gateway demanding annual sacrifices.

Much praised indie horror with 1970s setting. Some claim it's an homage to Lucio Fulci movies but I didn't notice such thing. Scares are scarce, budget is low, acting somewhat unintentional funny and one guy looks like a younger and chubbier version of Jack Nicholson's The Shining character. Barbara Crampton did good and has aged well, but Tim Burton's ex-muse Lisa Marie did not (what's up with her weird lips?).

I wasn't super-impressed but my gut feeling is telling me I might enjoy this more on a second viewing. 3.5/5
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9537 on: March 07, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »

Cemetery Man aka Dellamore dellamorte - This was like an Italian zombie version of Evil Dead. The main guy even looked like Bruce Campbell. As always in italian movies the female lead was very very pretty and there were some colorful things going on but I couldn't really follow the plot. I still don't know what it was. He's a guy who works at a cemetery and has to deal with zombies and stuff. visually very cool but hard to follow and draggy plot wise

2.5 /5
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9538 on: March 07, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »

force of Evil (1948) - this is a pretty cool film noir crime movie type thing. It's not a classic for a number of reasons. First is the plot which is about a numbers racket and competition among people in the numbers racket world. apparently before they had the lottery they had a lot of little lotteries. Not exactly international espionage or something.

The women are usually sexier in these things too. The lead john garfield is okay but he's not exactly Humphrey Bogart or James Cagney. It's not a very sexy picture in general, nor is it all that poetic or evocative. at the same time it is solid in it's storytelling and the writer, who was probably a communist, had a feel for characters who were morally repulsed by shady business practices and the tension between them and those who weren't.

I'd put this a step above "worth seeing for film noir completists" it doesn't knock you on your ass but it was compelling if not wildly exciting

3/5
claws
« Reply #9539 on: March 08, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »

The Visit (2015)

A thirteen year old boy and his fifteen year old sister take the train to visit their grandparents. They have never met, the siblings single mother left her parents house following a huge fight fifteen years ago. The kids are documenting their visit, the grandparents are nice but soon display rather odd behavior: they shall remain in their room after 9:30 pm and never go down in the basement. Rules are there to be broken but what they discover turns out to be a nightmare come true.

Apparently director Shamaylan redeemed himself with this found footage horror thriller after a string of cinematic disappointments. The Visit has you guessing to the very end, mixing humor with highly disturbing happenings. I like that the plot plays out like an urban legend, and the conclusion is simple yet effective. 4/5
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.