Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:41:08 AM
715436 Posts in 53138 Topics by 7761 Members
Latest Member: Artisanhme
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Documentaries on films what are some good ones « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Documentaries on films what are some good ones  (Read 3186 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »

My Best Fiend (1999).  Great film about the movies Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski worked on together, and their volatile relationship.  Klaus was one screwed up dude.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »

Just watched Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: The Evolution of the American Horror Film. Pretty good movie. It goes from early black and white films to the present day, looking at the various trends and putting them in historical context. Lance Henriksen narrates, and it is full of movie clips and interviews with people like Roger Corman, George Romero, Joe Dante, John Carpenter, etc. To its credit, the film delves pretty deeply into the genre, highlighting not just the obvious examples, but also some more obscure films, and looking at them from the perspective of the horror directors and film historians interviewed. Some interesting insights.

Heads up for those withe Netflix: NIGHTMARES is available streaming, along with a companion film called AMERICAN GRINDHOUSE that covers the exploitation movie beat.  I haven't seen either but there's a good chance I'll get to them soon.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack Slater
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »

Just watched Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: The Evolution of the American Horror Film. Pretty good movie. It goes from early black and white films to the present day, looking at the various trends and putting them in historical context. Lance Henriksen narrates, and it is full of movie clips and interviews with people like Roger Corman, George Romero, Joe Dante, John Carpenter, etc. To its credit, the film delves pretty deeply into the genre, highlighting not just the obvious examples, but also some more obscure films, and looking at them from the perspective of the horror directors and film historians interviewed. Some interesting insights.

Heads up for those withe Netflix: NIGHTMARES is available streaming, along with a companion film called AMERICAN GRINDHOUSE that covers the exploitation movie beat.  I haven't seen either but there's a good chance I'll get to them soon.

I was going to mention this late last night but forgot. As I watched it yesterday on netflix. Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed it very much so. They did a decent job handling the material and going threw quite a bit of horror film history. While I didn't agree with everything the interviewees had to say. The presentation was appealing enough to keep you in your seat for the 1hr 30min length.

I will have to give Grindhouse and gander.
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »

Best Worst Movie - all about Troll 2 made by the people who starred in it.

Couldn't agree more with this one - such a great doc.  You won't learn a whole lot of in depth info about the actual making of (besides great recollections from cast/crew) and there isn't any on-set footage really, but it is still VERY good.  It breaks down the movie in ways that most docs don't - what is the cast like?  What effect has the film had on them?  How is the movie recieved by audiences?  What effect does THAT have on the cast?  Great stuff...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »

Best Worst Movie - all about Troll 2 made by the people who starred in it.

Couldn't agree more with this one - such a great doc.  You won't learn a whole lot of in depth info about the actual making of (besides great recollections from cast/crew) and there isn't any on-set footage really, but it is still VERY good.  It breaks down the movie in ways that most docs don't - what is the cast like?  What effect has the film had on them?  How is the movie recieved by audiences?  What effect does THAT have on the cast?  Great stuff...

I keep meaning to watch that one, and I still haven't. I really must make a point of it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
66Crush
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 10:43:48 PM »

I too like GOING TO PIECES, AMERICAN GRINDHOUSE, NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD and NIGHTMARES IN RED WHITE IN BLUE. It's good to see so many people like those, you should see them. Here are some others I would recommend:
1. EMPIRE OF DREAMS -The bonus disc in the STAR WARS box set. Very detailed history.
2. GALAXY OF TERROR -The special features doc goes really in depth about Hollywood politics and how James Cameron is a jerk!
3. ANY DOCTOR WHO DVD -If you like this show grab a DVD. There are unlimited special features. Making of docs, multiple commentaries, production notes as an alternate subtitle setting. Choice of original efx or new CGI efx. Unedited and alternate takes and more. No other TV series puts out DVDs with this much stuff!
4. INSIDE DEEP THROAT -Not for everyone, but a fascinating look at how the film changed the adult industry.
5. FANTASTIC FLESH -Great doc on monster makeup efx, cool interviews with Tom Savini, Rick Baker and Dick Smith.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »

I have to also stress agreement with the following previously stated docs

1. Going to Pieces: the Rise and Fall of Slasher films = also a really fun read if you can get the book for cheap
2. Never Sleep Again = I never thought I would watch a 4 hour documentary 6 times... but this has proven me wrong
3. The Snowball Effect - I watch this every time I have writers block and it normally inspires me.
4. Best Worst Movie - My favorite film of last year. It's absolutely heartwarming and touching... now if you don't mind my first of two plugs (listen to my interview with George Hardy* on my podcast www.saintmortshow.com

I also highly recommend Divine Trash if you're a fan of John Waters and want to know the history of the making of Pink Flamingos

I'm looking forward to eventually seeing The Shark is STILL working the documentary about the making of Jaws.

* - To get to the specific episode with George Hardy - http://geekscape.net/shows/the-saint-mort-show/mustaches-and-pro-wrestlers
66Crush
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »

Yeah, I gotta give an additional shout out to "Best Worst Movie."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Documentaries on films what are some good ones « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.