Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:06:08 PM
715285 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 645264 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1620 on: November 20, 2019, 08:14:19 AM »

The Atlantic Ocean is warmer than the Pacific.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1621 on: November 24, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »

Hard to imagine in our age of instant information, but when Abraham Lincoln was murdered, Queen Victoria did not learn of the fact for eleven days.

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1622 on: November 24, 2019, 03:54:09 PM »

All-music! All-singing! No-speechifying!

If he had his druthers, there'd be a score of songs sung at his funeral. 10 secular. 10 sacred. We'll take up the secular 1st.

alley-oop
circle of life
don't fence me in
i am a rock
i've got a dream
let's go fly a kite
que sera sera
turn, turn, turn
the ugly bug ball
you are my sunshine

Next time: the sacred
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1623 on: December 07, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »

Last time, I posted what secular songs I'd like sung at my funeral. Now, it is time to post what sacred songs I'd like sung at my funeral, and they are . . .

Amazing Grace
Amen
Children of the Heavenly Father
Have Thine Own Way
How Great Thou Art
The Lonesome Valley
O, Happy Day
Rock of Ages
Watchman, Tell Us of the Night
Trust and Obey

Next time: would you buy an used foreign policy from this man?
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1624 on: December 07, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »

Good songs, BSK. You're doing okay though, right?

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1625 on: December 07, 2019, 03:44:15 PM »

Good songs, BSK. You're doing okay though, right?

Yes, so far, even though I saw an gastroenterologist last month, who wants to do an endoscopy, and this month I see a surgeon to see if he wants to do a hernia operation and an urologist about a mass they discovered on my left kidney, then next year my primary care physician wants to run my head thru a CAT scan to see why my sense of balance is shot, but, today I feel better than I have in sometime. And thank-you for asking.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1626 on: December 11, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »

On this day in 1941, The Nazis disappointed an awful lot of American Nazi sympathizers.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1627 on: December 11, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »

Amazing Grace

I've concluded Amazing Grace is the worst makeout song ever written. He's undoing your bra and you're hearing a song about a wretch "like me."

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1628 on: December 15, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »

We'll put aside what we were going to talk about for next time. So, this time we can talk about . . .

Despite MGM's motto of "Art for Arts Sake." It is not that, but domination at the boxoffice, that mostly matters in Hollywood. And one studio dominates all the others with 5 of its films earning $1B or more at the international boxoffice and an international boxoffice of $10B to date, as to the why.

Reason #1
Appeal
It comes nearest to making films that appeal to all, and Frozen II is a good example of that. For, when I saw it in the cinema, the audience consisted of . . .
pre-teen boys -- teenage girls -- their parents -- older women -- whites -- non-whites, etc.

Reason #2
The Many
On any list, there are better places to work, but there are many that want to work for them. When 1 position opened up that required 8 employees to fill it, did they get 8 applications? No! Did they get 80 applications? No! They got 800 applications.

Reason #3
The Many II
Most of the animators use to be old white guys. Now, and again if you look at the credits for Frozen II, you'll see many of the animators are women, Latinos, Asian-Americans, etc.

Reason #4
Cost
Warner Brothers released 7 mid price (under $100M) well received films last year, and what did they all have in common. They all died at the boxoffice, costing Warner Brothers money. Thus, it is the films that cost over $100M to make that will dominate the boxoffice.

Reason #5
Cost II
Though, unlike 2019's Midway, which is unlikely ever to make a profit for its makers, their films make a profit.

Reason #6
Dates
There are some dates that are better than others: whenever Easter is, the summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, or, anytime people are off work and children are out of school and  may want to see a film. And they have these dates sewn up for several years to come. Thus leaving the others to the lesser dates, as one does not want to go up, for the most part, against one of their films.

Reason #7
Desire
Desire dominates opinion. No matter the opinions of the critics and others, if people desire to see a film, such as Frozen II, they'll see it. On the other hand, if people have no desire to see a film, the opinions of the critics and most others will not get people to see a film.

Next time: what we were going to talk about last time "Would you buy an used foreign policy from this man?"
chainsaw midget

« Reply #1629 on: December 19, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »

In the original book, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Grinch was not green.  In the book, he's just shown in black and white. 

Chuck Jones insisted that the Grinch be colored when brought to animation.  Why green?  That was the color of the rental car he drove when he went out to discuss the project with Dr. Suess. 

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1630 on: December 24, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

Would you buy an used foreign policy from this man?

% that trust Trump's handling of international issues. While the figures are from some months ago, I expect most of these are probably even lower than the ones listed here.

78 Philippines
69 Israel
59 Nigeria
56 Kenya
48 U.S.
and its all downhill from there to . . .
06 Mexico
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1631 on: January 02, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »

We were going to post something else, but, instead, we will post that next time, and this time post this.

Time's People of the Year in 2019
Time (12/23/19-12/30/19)

Person
Greta Thunberg
And to date, probably the youngest person ever to be Time's Person of the Year.

Guardians
the Public Servants
who testified at the impeachment hearings

Entertainer
Lizzo

Business
Bob Iger
CEO and President of the Walt Disney Company

Athlete
U.S. Women's Soccer Team

And he must say yes to them all.

Next time: the gift that keeps on giving and giving--internationally.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #1632 on: January 03, 2020, 05:16:28 PM »

If Abraham Lincoln were alive today, he would be very very old. 
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1633 on: January 03, 2020, 05:44:36 PM »

The executioner who beheaded CHARLES I was brought from Ireland for the job, and had the same surname as my family.   TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1634 on: January 12, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »

The gift that keeps on giving--internationally.

While Frozen earned o'er $1B at the boxoffice, it earned twice that much in merchandise sales, and Frozen II is expected to do just as well, as it is now the 3rd best seller behind (1st) LOLs! Surprise and (2nd) Barbie.

While there are stage productions of Frozen on Broadway, on the ships of Disney Cruise Line, and at Disney's California Adventure, in 2020 further stage productions will roll out in France, Germany, Japan, and the U.K.

And Hong Kong Disneyland, Paris Disneyland, and Tokyo Disney Seas are expected to get Frozen attractions sometime later this year.

Next time: upcoming warner Brothers movies for 2020.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.