Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:55:27 PM
715220 Posts in 53128 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rock music sucks now days « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Rock music sucks now days  (Read 44677 times)
Cricket21a
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2004, 01:17:29 AM »

Maybe the metal I remember wasn't what they are taking about, I grew up in the 70's and 80's when there was Dokken, White Lion, Def Leopard, Firehouse, AC/DC,  the big hair bands.  I was never really interested in the ones that like to do the screaming and wailing at the top of their lungs like they do nowadays.   I remember when they were banning songs and all the kids wanted to buy the music just because of it being banned.    I think the song I want your Sex was the first one and then after that all this other stuff started coming out after it that would probably have been banned if some parents would have had their way.  Erotica's video was banned from MTV if I remember right and now they play it.  I guess censoring things mean that it has to be extremely bad compared to what it used to be about 20 years ago.  I think rock music needs better censorship so that the "good" music can make a comeback.  I don't like turning on MTV and seeing something playing about someone killed this person or I'm going to kill you and your mother too type of attitude.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
Stephen Hawking
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2004, 04:01:20 AM »

"I don't like turning on MTV and seeing something playing about someone killed this person or I'm going to kill you and your mother too type of attitude."

If you hear that on MTV, it's probably in a s**tty gangsta rap song, dude.  Nu-metal like Disturbed may say stuff like that, but once again, most real metal isn't like that.  Sure there's the gore/death metal subgenre like Cannibal Corpse that writes EXTREMELY graphic versions of that kind of stuff just for the pure shock value.  Most of those bands are good for a laugh, but musically pretty crap.
Most of the best metal bands come from Europe and write songs about trolls ;)

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
bostan
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2004, 08:42:11 AM »

TO VH1 classic we wont you to play hollyan on tusday the 2ed of may
Will
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2004, 06:50:10 AM »

Punk's stupid! Disco sucks! Punk's stupid! Disco sucks! Punk's stupid!

Ian
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2004, 04:57:33 AM »

Tell us what you think doesn't suck.
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »

Rock and Roll will never die.
Dirtcreature
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2004, 06:03:27 PM »

Most rock music today was best described by an old housemate of mine...

"Boy bands with guitars"

I mean, calling Sum 41 punk? Sid Vicious may not have known how to play bass at first, but I'm quite sure he's a little more punk than most of todays so-called punk! The Exploited and UK Subs are two of the original punks bands that are still going, so they still rule!

As for alternative music in general today...there is none. Well, a slight exaggeration, there's Disturbed, Static-X, and....and...well. Bands like Sepultura (later to make Soulfly), Pantera seem to have faded with the rest of 'em.

That's when i just listen to some of the, what the little puppies in music today have the cheek to call "Old school" rather than "Real rock"...bands like U2, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Motorhead, Suicidal Tendencies, The Sex Pistols, Senser, Megadeth, Kreator, Alice Cooper, Slayer, The Sisters of Mercy, and loads more...when music meant something more than being a teeny bopper trying to make cash...
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2004, 01:27:31 AM »

You will not find good music on mainstream radio unless you are very,very lucky.

The internet is your friend, as is college stations and underground radio.  Find a musical niche you enjoy on the internet, and then brance out from there into all genres.  People that pigeonhole themself into only a small corner of the musical world are limiting themselves terribly.
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2004, 01:34:34 AM »

One more things, when I noticed what wyckednyck regards as metal: All Out War, Fear Factory, SYL or Hate Breed, etc.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH......

HAHAHAH....

Ha...

Oh, wait, you're probably not joking.  Okay.  Um.  Here, try these bands on for size, probably a few of the only examples of 'real' metal still around that isn't based on super-simplistic chugga-chugga guitar parts and inane breakdowns:

In order of ass-kickingness:

Unearth (Still kind of simple, but probably the epitome of the type)
Goodnight Violet (More complex, semi-intelligent)
Daughters (Noise-metal.  Hurts my balls when I listen to it.  Um.  In a good way.)
Dillinger Escape Plan (Math-Metal.   Exceedingly complex, basically a packaged mindf**k)
aaannd..Converge.  You -need- to listen to the album entitled Jane Doe.  It's about as fun to listen to as getting a root canal, but it's like the best root canal you've ever had.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2004, 03:12:18 AM »

I already listen to Dillinger, Converge, and Unearthed, Nights.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2004, 04:11:40 AM »

Nights, SYL is more metal than all the things you just listed combined.  Dillinger is good, but still mostly a hardcore band, as is Unearth.  I will, however, agree with you that Hatebreed sucks.  But if you think that this handfull of hardcore bands are some of the only examples of "true metal" left to the world, you are very sheltered and sadly mistaken.  Here's a (very) small list of bands of various kinds you should check out if you want it proven that REAL metal is still alive.
Cephalic Carnage
Mastodon
Nile
Absu
Melechesh
Dimmu Borgir
Vintersorg
Hollenthon
Nevermore
Borknagar
Amon Amarth
Exodus
My Dying Bride

Enjoy,
Brother R

Post Edited (04-04-04 04:12)

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2004, 04:50:37 AM »

My bad.  In my regular speech, I usually use 'metal' and 'hardcore' pretty interchangeably.  It's really in my inflection "Metal"=hardcore.  -METAL- = metal.

Got me?

Neither do I.

Um.  Either way, check out my cousin's -METAL- band at www.steelrainmetal.com

They make me smile.
dirtcreature
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2004, 03:34:20 PM »

Are MY Dying Bride still going? They were cool!

I still love listening to Stormtroopers of Death and Gwar. not everyones cup of tea, but at least the sound is beefy compared to todays pseudo-metal.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2004, 12:12:45 AM »

Indeed they are.  My Dying Bride just released a new record called "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light."  I haven't picked it up yet (spending all my money on Hellboy viewings and the new Clutch record), but it's on the list.

Brother R

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2004, 08:48:26 PM »

My Dying Bride's music is awesome, but I think the vocals are terrible. At least for the Like Gods Of The Sun album, which, truthfully, is the only one I have by them.

Other awesome metal bands you must check out:
Inheritance - http://inheritancemetal.cjb.net (local death band that, even though I don't get along with its members, is awesome)
Sound Like The Hu-Man - http://soundlikethehu-man.cjb.net (local FxCKED UP band, with elements from funk, grindcore, death metal, grunge, and everything in between, two of whose members I've been friends with since the 4th grade; and yes, the name is from ROBOT MONSTER)
Black Label Society (if you haven't heard of 'em already, you suck)
Venom (black metal pioneers)
Theatre Of Tragedy (goth/metal, with a different sound for each album)
Susperia (at least the first album, which is amazing blackened thrash)

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rock music sucks now days « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.