Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 02:00:46 AM
714971 Posts in 53115 Topics by 7751 Members
Latest Member: ilovemyself2oo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Box-Office Bombs You Like « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Box-Office Bombs You Like  (Read 2257 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2024, 08:11:39 PM »

I have a slight liking for Uncle Uwe Boll's ALONE IN THE DARK.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 02:18:53 AM »

"O" was pretty good. with Julia Stiles
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 02:13:25 PM »

The Suicide Squad- the sequel/reboot from 2021. It was enjoyable.

I liked it too. I don't know that I would call it a bomb, it made $168.7 million at the box office (on a $185 million budget). After you add in streaming and physical media revenue it probably came close to breaking even.

Sounds like a bomb to me.   TeddyR  If it were my money, I'd be disappointed.  After all, George Lucas is worth 7 billion...  Lookingup

I guess it was a bomb. The ratio of budget/receipts is 85%, which is better than some of the real flops. According to the wikipedia list, some of the films whose receipts > budgets are still considered bombs. Due to Hollywood accounting, it's impossible to know how much money a picture really made or lost.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2024, 05:52:49 PM »

Due to Hollywood accounting, it's impossible to know how much money a picture really made or lost.

Yeah, this. I started paying attention to box office grosses as well as budgets waaaaaay back in the 80s when USA Today used to run a weekly feature on them. I'm no kind of expert as we've discussed before but I'm pretty sure that back in the 80s and for a while thereafter studios wouldn't include advertising as part of the production budget, and so when there were discussions about profitability they primarily focused on whether the film made more money in receipts than it cost to produce. Today it's a different story and apparently we have films like ANT-MAN 3 which by some math maybe broke even or came close and by other math lost dozens upon dozens of millions of dollars. I don't actually give a poop one way or another except that I recognize that profit/loss assessment will determine whether we get another ANT-MAN or another SUICIDE SQUAD. However much money it made or lost, ANT-MAN 3 was mediocre. Although I'm disappointed THE SUICIDE SQUAD '21 didn't make more money, there's no real logic in my head that allows it to get classified as "a bomb". Maybe DA' Bomb, but not "a" bomb. It exists and I'm happy for that.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2024, 02:42:50 AM »

JACK FROST was original enough but not my cuppa tea. budget $40m ?! I got strong 'regional horror' vibes from it...

oops... apparently I'm thinking of the 97 horror, this is actually a 98 family / kids film starring Michael Keaton. budget '$40 - $85 million'

I guess the fact that I've never heard of this one yet I knew the trashy 97 one means my badmovie stripes are intact right?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 06:00:08 AM by zombie no.one » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2024, 12:36:10 PM »

Good listicle on the subject, focusing on newer films: https://variety.com/lists/best-box-office-flops/warrior/

I agree with most of these choices. Assuming KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON is a flop, it's one of the better ones.

I really liked/loved BEAU IS AFRAID, TAR, ANNIHILATION, BLADE RUNNER 2049, UNDER THE SKIN, THE MASTER, INHERENT VICE, and FIGHT CLUB.

I liked DUMB MONEY, THE FABELMANS, IN THE HEIGHTS, THE SUICIDE SQUAD, AD ASTRA, HUGO, and the WEST SIDE STORY remake;.

I at least respected ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET, WOMEN TALKING, and STEVE JOBS.

BROS deserved to flop, though.

M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2024, 06:01:50 PM »

Wow, FIGHT CLUB. Yeah, come to think of it, not a box office success. Surely it's crawled its way into the black over the past 25 years.......?

THE BIG LEBOWSKI seems like a similar long-term success... I remember reports of it being a bomb after opening weekend (grossing only a third of its tiny $15 million budget). Google sez it went on to gross $55 million worldwide. With TV/DVD/blu-ray/streaming/etc I have to think it's still a nice, modest but regular royalty check in the mailboxes of Dude, Walter, and the Coens...

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2024, 02:22:45 AM »

I like Jupiter Ascending.  Wow it is expensive hot garbage, but I can’t help myself.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2024, 09:27:47 AM »

Madam Web

Didn’t love it.
But liked it… enough.

Having a mentor as a lead instead of the punchy hero is a great idea. Following a Giles rather than a Buffy.

But, y’know, the people she’s mentoring needs to have more personality than owns a skateboard. Is rich. Is poor.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 02:32:21 AM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2024, 01:02:00 PM »

^ Good to see you here. It's been forever.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2024, 05:56:44 PM »

Dogget stays away for 7 years.

Comes back to praise "Madame Web."

Now that's a bad movie fan!

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2024, 08:43:00 PM »

I like Jupiter Ascending.  Wow it is expensive hot garbage, but I can’t help myself.

I really liked Jupiter Ascending myself.  Or at least I've come to appreciate it more for trying to be its own thing.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2024, 07:13:04 PM »

The Spirit(2008)
The Wolfman(2010)
Alien vs Predator: Requiem(2006)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2024, 04:43:34 PM »

I liked the most recent DEATH RACE movie.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2024, 11:20:15 PM »

Madam Web

Didn’t love it.
But liked it… enough.

Having a mentor as a lead instead of the punchy hero is a great idea. Following a Giles rather than a Buffy.

But, y’know, the people she’s mentoring needs to have more personality than owns a skateboard. Is rich. Is poor.

Don't care what the fools here think of me, it is good to see you, Doggett. Live Long & Prosper!

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Box-Office Bombs You Like « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.