Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:52:07 AM
715057 Posts in 53118 Topics by 7754 Members
Latest Member: PrincessMu
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Classics" you just don't get. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: "Classics" you just don't get.  (Read 11692 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 02:34:27 AM »

THE EXORCIST scared the entire nation (I'm talking U.S.A., I assume it was the same elsewhere). I remember when it was in theaters . . . everyone was talking about it . . . church attendance increased . . . TV talk shows had various experts in history and religion as guests . . . it was everywhere. No horror movie since (with the exception of JAWS, which probably scared nearly as many people) has come close to that kind of impact. Not. Even. Close.

It was banned for almost twenty years in South Africa: the sequels too.  Thumbdown

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »

DANCES WITH WOLVES.
That f**king movie.
I like westerns. I LOVE Westerns. I can't stand that movie.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 09:02:59 AM »

DANCES WITH WOLVES.
That f**king movie.

They've remade it quite a few times I hear. I believe 'The Last Samurai' and 'Avatar' are just two of them.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »

DANCES WITH WOLVES.
That f**king movie.

They've remade it quite a few times I hear. I believe 'The Last Samurai' and 'Avatar' are just two of them.
Don't even get me started with AVATAR.  Hatred

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »

DANCES WITH WOLVES.
That f**king movie.

I used to work with a guy who looked just like one of the aliens from Avatar. One Hallowe'en he just painted himself blue for his costume.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »

I can't stand Wizard of Oz but that may stem from the trauma of my star turn as the Cowardly Lion in a 5th grade stage production of it. Clomping around on stage in front of the entire school wearing a scratchy fake lion's mane (and a tail pinned to the back of my pants) was bad enough, but the girl who played Dorothy was a total b***h whose voice hadn't changed yet. Listening to that chick croak her way through "Over the Rainbow" for weeks on end during rehearsals was pure torture. To this day if I hear that song, I cringe like I've been shot.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2018, 11:58:41 AM »

DANCES WITH WOLVES.
That f**king movie.

I used to work with a guy who looked just like one of the aliens from Avatar. One Hallowe'en he just painted himself blue for his costume.

Well, That's just f**king creepy.  Bluesad

I can't stand Wizard of Oz but that may stem from the trauma of my star turn as the Cowardly Lion in a 5th grade stage production of it. Clomping around on stage in front of the entire school wearing a scratchy fake lion's mane (and a tail pinned to the back of my pants) was bad enough, but the girl who played Dorothy was a total b***h whose voice hadn't changed yet. Listening to that chick croak her way through "Over the Rainbow" for weeks on end during rehearsals was pure torture. To this day if I hear that song, I cringe like I've been shot.

That makes total sense.   Bluesad

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »

THE EXCORCIST... like a boring tv movie. not scary, not tense, not thought provoking. a slog to get through.

You have seen too many grotesque movies... THE EXORCIST is a great film that could not get made today.   Hell, it ain't FRIDAY THE 13TH, there is a literate script at the heart of THE EXORCIST.  

THE EXORCIST scared the entire nation (I'm talking U.S.A., I assume it was the same elsewhere). I remember when it was in theaters . . . everyone was talking about it . . . church attendance increased . . . TV talk shows had various experts in history and religion as guests . . . it was everywhere. No horror movie since (with the exception of JAWS, which probably scared nearly as many people) has come close to that kind of impact. Not. Even. Close.

You hit the nail on the head right there. I remember as a kid all the devil s**t on TV and at the news stand.
That's where I got my comics and monster magazines and cheap paperbacks.. Satan s**t in books and magazines was everywhere!
And Karen Carpenter was on the radio- along with Led Zeppilin!
I seen the EXORCIST at the Strand in 1974. Scared the s**t out of me.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:10:41 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »

I've been meaning to re-visit the Exorcist for a long time now but haven't gotten around to it yet.

When I was a kid in the 70s that had the ultimate rep around the school yard - legend had it that Exorcist was THE most pants-poopingly, mentally-scarring, most terrifying movie ever made, and if you watched even a little bit of it you'd have nightmares for the rest of your life. So naturally I avoided it like the plague, cuz I was a wuss when I was a kid. (haha)

Years later (late '80s), I finally saw The Exorcist when I was in college - but by that point I was a well seasoned horror fan who'd seen tons and tons of scary movies, and after all those years of building it up in my mind, The Exorcist didn't pack the wallop I had been expecting. I remember thinking "That's it? What's the big deal?"

It's been at least 30 years since I last saw it and I wonder what I would think of it by now.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

I've been meaning to re-visit the Exorcist for a long time now but haven't gotten around to it yet.

When I was a kid in the 70s that had the ultimate rep around the school yard - legend had it that Exorcist was THE most pants-poopingly, mentally-scarring, most terrifying movie ever made, and if you watched even a little bit of it you'd have nightmares for the rest of your life. So naturally I avoided it like the plague, cuz I was a wuss when I was a kid. (haha)

Years later (late '80s), I finally saw The Exorcist when I was in college - but by that point I was a well seasoned horror fan who'd seen tons and tons of scary movies, and after all those years of building it up in my mind, The Exorcist didn't pack the wallop I had been expecting. I remember thinking "That's it? What's the big deal?"

It's been at least 30 years since I last saw it and I wonder what I would think of it by now.

You gotta remember- at the time horror movies were about Frankenstein and Dracula and things from Outer Space.
Films like the EXORCIST, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, and the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE were all sharing marquees.
This was not my Daddy's horror movie! This wasn't late night uhf channel Creature Features. This s**t freaked me out.
I thought it was all great.  Cheers
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:44:16 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2018, 01:56:18 PM »

You gotta remember- at the time horror movies were about Frankenstein and Dracula and things from Outer Space.
Films like the EXORCIST, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, and the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE were all sharing marquees.
This was not my Daddy's horror movie! This wasn't late night uhf channel Creature Features. This s**t freaked me out.
I thought it was all great.  Cheers

I hate LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT... but it is a very important film. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2018, 02:15:27 PM »

DANCES WITH WOLVES.
That f**king movie.

he may have had marfan syndrome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfan_syndrome

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »

similar type of story here... I wasn't born when it came out, but it was banned here in the uk so developed a similar kind of schoolyard reputation of being THE scariest film ever. It finally got unbanned here in 1998 (iirc) and cinemas started showing it. I went to a screening and not only were people openly laughing at it (right from the start), but I also fell asleep from boredom. The only other time I've ever fallen asleep in a cinema was for GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING!

I've tried 3 or 4 more times since then to properly watch it but it never works for me. Interestingly Mark Kermode thinks it's the best film ever, and he's probably my favourite film critic.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »

... I wasn't born when it came out, but it was banned here in the uk so developed a similar kind of schoolyard reputation of being THE scariest film ever. It finally got unbanned here in 1998 (iirc) and cinemas started showing it. I went to a screening and not only were people openly laughing at it (right from the start), but I also fell asleep from boredom. The only other time I've ever fallen asleep in a cinema was for GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING!

I've tried 3 or 4 more times since then to properly watch it but it never works for me. Interestingly Mark Kermode thinks it's the best film ever, and he's probably my favourite film critic.
I think when THE EXORCIST came out, the critics and movie going public were shocked, not so much by the film's scariness as by its vulgarity, obscenity, and depravity.  Plus, it had serious actors like ELLEN BURSTYN and MAX VON SYDOW and LEE J. COBB.  Forget Horror if need be, but the film is a big F U to religion... aside from any horror or sh!t movies out there, there is NOTHING like THE EXORCIST.  It's a rare cinematic animal.  It's unique. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »

fair enough AHD, I respect the opinion of anyone who happens to think it's deserving of classic status.

I'm half tempted to think it's a case of 'maybe you just had to be there'.. but of course that kind of thing shouldn't apply to truly classic movies. ...it is what it is, I guess.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Classics" you just don't get. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.