Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:07:14 PM
715190 Posts in 53126 Topics by 7755 Members
Latest Member: Independentbbz
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Squirm in the Blue Sunshine, Van Helsing! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Squirm in the Blue Sunshine, Van Helsing!  (Read 1482 times)
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 19, 2002, 09:41:08 PM »

Here is news on two up-and-coming DVDs:   Squirm and Blue Sunshine and a possible sequel.

I've seen both released films.   Sunshine I don't remember that much of, except that I didn't like the end.   Squirm however, I liked.  I liked a lot.  Seeing the R rated version will be cool.

Sequel sounds interesting, but that's nothing.  A lot of sequels sound interseting.
Also in the news is Van Helsing .  Again, it sounds intersting, EXCEPT for the director.  Stephen Sommers is not the greatest helmer.  I liked Deep Rising and sort of enjoyed The Mummy , but neither will ever be confused with classics.

One other thing: I don't think there's been a "monster mash" type movie that's worked.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Foywonder
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 01:34:32 AM »

Summers isn't just the director, he also wrote the film. That pretty much guarantees it will be an incredibly moronic film.
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 03:13:17 AM »

He wrote "Deep Rising" as well, I think, and perhaps both "Mummy"s. Haven't seen either "Mummy," but I hated "Deep Rising" so much I begged my friends to let me leave the theatre. (Bastards.)
Steven Millan
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 03:42:29 AM »

Paul naschy has done an excellent job at a monster mash movie called "Assignment Terror"(1970),where the Wolfman takes on Dracula,Frankenstein's monster,and the Mummy,and kick all of their asses!!!
                         Al Adamson also tackled that similar concept well with "Dracula Vs. Frankenstein"(1971),as did Fred Dekker with the fun-loving "The Monster Squad"(1987),so there's a chance,after all,that a really good monster mash type of film can be successfully done.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 09:52:36 AM »

Deep Rising had  a great line

"If the cash is there, we do not care"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2002, 10:25:41 AM »

I saw that one years ago. People who dropped a particular bad batch of acid (blue sunshine) in the 60s slowly turn into homicidal maniacs ten years later. Their hair falls out and they start walking around in a daze, attacking people.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2002, 11:05:10 AM »

There are adjectives I would use to describe Assignment Terror .  Excellent is not one of them.  I've never finished the movie.  The first time I watched, I was at a friend's house and had to leave before it was over.  Years later I bought the tape, and could only go so far before stopping the thing out of boredom.  The tape was broken soon after that (not by me and not intentionally).  I still don't know if I was lucky in that or not.

Adamson's Dracula v Frankenstien is, for me, incredibly dull.  This is one of the few films that actually broke me down as a viewer of Crap Film.  Had to fast forward to get through the thing.  Not fun.  Still have the tape, though, which I think says more about me than it.

Dekker's Monster Squad , on the other hand, is one I have fondish memories of.  It's been an acre of years since I watched it, and I only watched it once, so my opinion of it may change for the worse.  (Usually does, with films of my youth.)  However, I'll call it the exception to the rule for right now.

I still stand behind what I said: Monster Mash films don't hold up well at all.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2002, 11:10:46 AM »

Deep Rising was the film I wished I was watching instead of Octopus .

I think Deep Rising is the second best "giant octopus" movie in existence (even though the creature isn't an octopus, per say.)  This is damning it with faint praise, considering Tentacles and the Octopus twins are its only competitors.

(The best "giant octopus" movie is, of course It Came From Beneath the Sea , which has it's own problems...)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2002, 11:12:56 AM »

"People who dropped a particular bad batch of acid (blue sunshine) in the 60s slowly turn into homicidal maniacs ten years later. Their hair falls out and they start walking around in a daze, attacking people."

That was, I'm afraid, the limit of my memories of Blue Sunshine : I knew what it was about, and that I saw it, and didn't like the end.

Also, I think there's a parrot named "Rodan" in it.  Not sure.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2002, 11:36:45 AM »

I liked Deep Rising as well, but my brother (who I saw it with) HATED the movie.   There is ample reason to detest it, but Treat Williams, Anthony Heald, and the monster just won me over in the end.  I give it a three slime rating, four when I'm a really good mood - which is seldom.

And I HATED The Monster Squad.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
AndyC
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2002, 01:16:55 PM »

I don't remember much more than that either. It wasn't a particularly memorable movie. Too bad, since the premise is actually pretty good.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Squirm in the Blue Sunshine, Van Helsing! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.