Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:25:13 PM
715441 Posts in 53138 Topics by 7761 Members
Latest Member: Artisanhme
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Happy Columbus Day! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Happy Columbus Day!  (Read 3346 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: October 14, 2019, 06:40:25 AM »

Remember, the North American aboriginals probably would have crossed the Atlantic and pillaged Europe if they could have, so let's hear it for being descended from people with better technology! Yaaaaaaay we got the draw on them!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:35:46 AM »

Fooey. The Vikings got here before the Spanish. And we didn't fvck with the natives for once!
I say 'we' because I'm Norwegian.  Lookingup For what it's worth.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »

I think we had had a long discussion here about Columbus.  He is an important historical figure.  I think he was brave.  I also don't like him.  It's easy 500 years later to have 20/20 hindsight. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »

Some folks even think the Chinese got here before the vikings!
I reckon it's possible.

And before that you had all these people-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:17:13 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 02:24:56 PM »

I've seen all kinds of PBS specials touting all kinds of eye opening theories from all over the place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennewick_Man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_trans-oceanic_contact_theories

The big deal about Columbus, was that he proved there was money to be made on the far side...

And yet, for some reason, half the western hemisphere is named after "this" guy;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »

I reckon it's possible.

And not only the Chinese, and I don't know how strong the proof is, but I have seen claims that the . . .
Welsh -- Japanese -- Irish -- and people from the continent of Africa came to North America, sometime before the Vikings.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »

I reckon it's possible.
And not only the Chinese, and I don't know how strong the proof is, but I have seen claims that the . . .
Welsh -- Japanese -- Irish -- and people from the continent of Africa came to North America, sometime before the Vikings.

Well, let's not forget Jesus.  I guess that would be a people from Asia Minor.  Mormons believe it.   Thumbup

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 09:02:00 PM »

The main reason I am skeptical of any prolonged contact between North America and Europe pre-1500's is the Native Americans' complete lack of immunity to European diseases like smallpox and measles; also (in north America, at least) their complete ignorance of some very basic technologies that had been around in Europe for 5000 years or more, like metallurgy and the invention of the wheel.  Those are strong evidences for almost complete cultural isolation pre-1492 (excepting the brief Viking presence in Newfoundland, which has been archeologically documented).

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 09:16:59 PM »

The main reason I am skeptical of any prolonged contact between North America and Europe pre-1500's is the Native Americans' complete lack of immunity to European diseases like smallpox and measles; also (in north America, at least) their complete ignorance of some very basic technologies that had been around in Europe for 5000 years or more, like metallurgy and the invention of the wheel.  Those are strong evidences for almost complete cultural isolation pre-1492 (excepting the brief Viking presence in Newfoundland, which has been archeologically documented).
But what about the Mormons belief in Jesus in North America?  After the Resurrection.  ..?

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »

But what about the Mormons belief in Jesus in North America?  After the Resurrection.  ..?

Frankly, they are wrong.  There simply is not a shred of archeological evidence that supports ANY of the claims of the Book of Mormon; especially the existence of large, metal-working empires in North America waging war on one another with horses (extinct in North America at the time) and chariots (again, not a single American culture, prior to Columbus, had ever invented the wheel).  All available evidence seems to indicate that Joseph Smith . . . well, there's no kind way to say this: He made the whole thing up.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »

Frankly, they are wrong.  There simply is not a shred of archeological evidence that supports ANY of the claims of the Book of Mormon; especially the existence of large, metal-working empires in North America waging war on one another with horses (extinct in North America at the time) and chariots (again, not a single American culture, prior to Columbus, had ever invented the wheel).  All available evidence seems to indicate that Joseph Smith . . . well, there's no kind way to say this: He made the whole thing up.

Thanks; I'm interested to hear the opinion of a man educated in such matters.  I always thought he was just crazy.   Thumbup

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »

I've a close friend who is LDS, and I have to say they're some of the nicest happiest people I ever met, and through her I've become acquainted with some LDS teachings and even been to a few sites like the Kirtland, Ohio Temple, and have heard some lectures by Wayne May, who is said to be the leading apologist who makes the claim that artifacts and archaeological sites do exist to support The Book of Mormon.

Mostly May tries to assert that the Hopewell civilization was in fact that which Joseph Smith spoke of, and all archaeologists who have studied it over the last two-hundred years have it wrong and it was not a Native American culture that sprung up along the Ohio River valley and its tributaries, but a Jewish one composed of emigrants from 6th century BC Israel. (He has many YouTube videos, some quite interesting and imaginative.)

No matter how much respect I may have for individual LDS and their impressive achievements, I have to go with what Indy wrote, and I think the best counter for Wayne May is not to concentrate on what has been found, which he does, but to focus on what hasn't been found.

Sure he can point to tiny copper smelting undertakings in pre-Columbian times in present-day Michigan and argue that Hopewell earthworks coincide with Smith's timeline in The Book of Mormon, but where are the ruins of cities with towering walls, foundries for working gold and iron? Where are the bones of these large populations, where are the chariots, the horses, the plants he described that were non-native to this hemisphere? Where are the cemeteries for the dead over the millennium Mormon scripture claims Jews lived here in a setting comparable to their relatives back in Israel?

Above all, where is the great city of Zarahemla, which Joseph Smith identified as sitting in Missouri, across from Navoo, Illinois? The BOM describes this as a massive city that stood for centuries in which tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of people lived, a city with towers and temples and places of industry, stables of horses, granaries, a palace, training grounds for warriors, schools, wineries, cemeteries, yet not one artifact of this city has ever been found in the site where Smith pointed to it being in front of numerous witnesses?

So it's what is not there to be found that undermines The Book of Mormon moreso than what has been discovered, although the DNA tests that show Native Americans have no blood ties at all to the Middle East are also significant.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »

Thanks; I'm interested to hear the opinion of a man educated in such matters.  I always thought he was just crazy.   Thumbup
This could read in an unintentional way... I was referring to Joseph Smith as the "crazy".   TeddyR Thumbup

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Happy Columbus Day! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.