Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:53:06 AM
715395 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7760 Members
Latest Member: Amy054617
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Finally saw TCM (2003) here's my review « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Finally saw TCM (2003) here's my review  (Read 898 times)
saintmort
« on: December 12, 2004, 11:26:08 PM »

So I wanted to know what Blasphemy looked like so I rented Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the remake). It started off like a retarded version of House of 1000 corpses and so far it's just going downhill from there. Each minute or two I remember why I avoided $8 in the theater. I'm glad that I'm on Moviepass or I might actually have to ask my money back for this one. What we got with the 1974 classic was an original film that threw you into a world of insanity what this provides you is the same old crap you've seen in every horror film since scream. Let me remind you about why the original was sooo scary, not only did the take people and hang them on meathooks, and slice them up nice and good with a chainsaw. But they ate them, they made masks out of there faces, and they used the bones to build their furniture. In this film instead they're just a pointless carbon copy of billy loomis or a Ben Willis. The Characters are more developed but this is the one film that you don't want character development. Now many people will disagree with me and I know why, or I have a good idea. They don't understand why people hold the original so dearly there's many things that make it great, and it's the same things that most people dont like it for. Alot of people complain about the grainy film however it made it feel like you were watching a Documentry while this felt just like every other film out there. Another thing that you'll hear people say is that the original is too slow while this one gets you really pulled into it with a nice bloody suicide in the beginning and jsut full energy gore. The Original however started slow and built up to the most intense final 15 minutes in horror movie history. And finally people will say it wasn't gory enough, this movie had enough unnecesary gore to make even the worrlds biggest Gore Hound say "this is pointless". The lack of blood made the original the intense film it was (much like Jaws in the past). The ultimate let down was seeing LEATHERFACE'S FACE! THAT IS THE ULTIMATE NO NO! This movie is what happenes if you took the original script and fed it to a brain dead monkey and then filmed the script that the monkey pooped out. What scares me is that these people already have their hands on greats like House of Wax and Evil Dead. (I can't argure with Amityville horror though, the movie sucked to begin with, a remake could only be an improvement) In the end, don't touch classics.
dean
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 12:24:44 AM »

I don't really see a problem with showing Leatherface's actual face, whilst unneccesary it isn't really that bad a thing, however as a whole, the remake was made by hollywood, and therefore lost its bang; this is a film that relied on its grittiness, not pointless sprinkler scenes so we can see Jessica Biels get all wet.

Although as a whole it was much better than Wrong Turn.  I use that as a basis for comparing crazy townsfolk hillybilly movies.

I don't mind people touching classics [though at times it's a bit riduculous] what annoys me is when you have independant classics being quite effectively crapped on by the hollywood system.
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 02:12:56 AM »

Making Leatherface sympathetic and giving us a reason for his killing was crap.  He's scary because he's a CANNIBAL HILLBILLY !  And we have no idea why!  It's creepy as hell that way!
Yes, the remake sucked seven ways to Sunday.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
saintmort
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 09:01:20 AM »

let me clarify, the classics I hate them touching are the cult classics like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead. The only 'cult classic' remake I'm allowing is Willie Wonka and ONLY because i believe in Tim Burton's Directing, if anyone else were directing I'd be totally against it.

I mean you wouldn't want a Spinal tap Remake, or Rocky Horror Picture Show or my favorite film of all Time HAROLD AND MAUDE.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 10:40:03 PM »

The original film is genius. The remake was good, but not in the same way.

mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 11:24:22 PM »

i deficated in my toilet and before i flushed i saw TCM2003...hopefully it is being treated in a sewage plant somewhere.

- mr. henry
www.310am.com
hurry home andrew
goodbye johnny....long live LEMMY

REOPEN THE COBAIN CASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ask me about it at alienstepin@hotmail.com
or read TOM GRANT's website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kurt had 3x a lethal heroin dose injected into his bloodstream prior to supposedly shooting off his own head and then magically wiping the prints off of the shotgun....it's in the police report but apparently writing "depressing" songs overwrites evidence obviously pointing to foul play...

"i own the holy grail of rock and roll" - courtney "the killer" cobain stated in a RS interview (you know ROLLING STONE, that piece of extreme-leftist propaganda...not that there's anything wrong with that)...guess she can now buy all those high end lexus's that kurt made her return before his "demise." guess we know who had the punk ethic in that family.

"When the pigs try to get at ya
Park it like it's hot
Park it like it's hot
Park it like it's hot"
- S N double-o P, D O double-G

"why do you want to shoot squirrels?"
"because they're gay"
-cabin fever

"there is truth in your fiction and fiction in your truth" - ANIMATRIX

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Menard
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 02:23:16 AM »

I knew I was in trouble with this movie when it opened displaying the date August 1973, while playing 'Sweet Home Alabama'; the song was released in 1974. The art direction went downhill from there. You would at least hope they would treat the art direction with more respect considering the accolades Robert Burns got for his art direction in the original and considering that the original was actually made in Texas in August of 1973. This remake (?) basically took one character from the original, Leatherface, and dropped him into a standard backwoods slasher flick made with all the pretense of a music video. I am so saddened that now when referencing 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' I have to distinguish between the original and the remake. At least Jessica Biel looks really good. (:Bob

blkrider
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 01:43:06 PM »

Yeah, I think they made a mistake by setting it in the early Seventies.  Too distracting to see all the stuff they got wrong.  I know the filmmakers said they didn't want a modern setting because they didn't want things like cell phones but how hard would it have been to have a scene where they try to use their phone and it shows that they have no service?  It happens to me whenever I vist my parents out in the sticks.

When they set things in the past like that it always takes from the overall impact for me anyway.  I thought the remake was okay, not really good, but not as bad as I'd feared.  I was afraid they'd have leatherface making wisecracks or dancing around to hip-hop music.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Finally saw TCM (2003) here's my review « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.