Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:26:20 PM
715211 Posts in 53127 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Box-Office Bombs You Like « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Box-Office Bombs You Like  (Read 2319 times)
pacman000
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's root beer & a candy cigar!

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 12:02:04 PM »

2004's THE ALAMO

Very accurate and brilliant casting; still don't know why it flopped.
Bad timing. Disney started working on it right after 9/11, hoping to capitalize on the patriotic furor. The furor, however, ran out before the film was finished. And it was, perhaps, less heroic than most people interested in the subject liked. Also, it was expensive, & may have had a bit of a troubled production. (Most of this comes from a video on the film I watched a few years ago.)

Movies I liked which didn't do well:

Pokemon 4Ever - The craze had ended, so this only got a limited release stateside.

The Phantom - Not a perfect movie, but it is fun seeing a superhero film which doesn't feel like a cartoon.

Message from Space - It's a bit over-the top, & perhaps too much for one sitting, & the FX feel like something from the 50's, but that's all part of the charm.

The Black Cauldron - Too dark for Disney's usual audience. Too expensive, & there's a small plot error which makes it seem that the main character was sent towards the bad guy's castle, but still a childhood favorite, with some good animation.

The Thief & The Cobbler - Great animation in service of a meandering plot. Too expensive, too similar to Aladdin, which came out a few years before it, tho Thief was in production first.

KRULL - Fun fantasy movie.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 02:34:01 PM by pacman000 » Logged

Video Game Article Archive: https://vgaa.neocities.org/
WebSiteRing, Listing Old Websites & Bible Verses since 2016! https://websitering.neocities.org/
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 05:48:13 PM »

I'll stan for KRULL any/every day. Saw it in the theater in '83, loved it, saw it many times that decade on TV, then saw it again 15-20 years ago, and - still loved it! Alun Armstrong, Freddie Jones, Robbie Coltrane (looking unusually buff and tuff), Lysette Anthony  hot ...Francesca Annis...  hot  BounceGiggle .......this guy who never did anything else named uh Liam Neeson? Also ALL the grisly death and mayhem that a small child had come to expect from a PG-rated film of that era............. yeah, what's not to love?  Thumbup

When people discuss 80s nightmare fuel, NEVERENDING STORY and LABYRINTH seem to come up most frequently. I get it, but I'll submit Freddie Jones' desperate race with the handful of sand as an ultimate childhood anxiety-inducer. Two years before Tarkovki's famous finale to NOSTALGIA, too.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 10:26:41 PM »

Geez...this is BAD MOVIES- 1000's!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 08:38:51 AM »

The Suicide Squad- the sequel/reboot from 2021. It was enjoyable.
Power Rangers- from like 2017. It missed the mark but as a fan of the series it was fun seeing Rangers on the big screen again.
Hudson Hawk- no apologies

I don't know if these count but:
Earth Girls Are Easy-late 80s flick with Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans
Return of the Killer Tomatoes- I mean, was low budget and they made 4 of these.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2024, 09:59:39 AM »

I liked it too. I don't know that I would call it a bomb, it made $168.7 million at the box office (on a $185 million budget). After you add in streaming and physical media revenue it probably came close to breaking even.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 12:44:12 PM »

was about to confidently vote for FRIDAY 13TH VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN, but a quick glance at wiki and it nearly trebled its production budget at the box office.

surprised at that, considering its reputation

edit - budget $5.5 million... so that's the most it could've lost anyway... I guess it didn't even qualify for 'bomb' status?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 01:04:11 PM by zombie no.one » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2024, 01:11:08 PM »

STAR TREK V  THE FINAL FRONTIER. I liked it back then and still do. 😎

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2024, 02:49:22 PM »

Not that I think it was a bomb, because I believe it more or less broke even, but Waterworld.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2024, 04:42:02 PM »

I liked it too. I don't know that I would call it a bomb, it made $168.7 million at the box office (on a $185 million budget). After you add in streaming and physical media revenue it probably came close to breaking even.

It was considered an enormous financial embarrassment and a failure when it was released....... by the standards of Gunn's GOTG movies et al. Of course Covid was still wreaking havoc on theatrical numbers in August 2021 as well. Two years later the superhero movie market has really bottomed out and THE SUICIDE SQUAD now seems like a respectable return on its investment in contrast. Also I think most quarters recognized it was legitimately a (very) good movie in spite of its underperformance... WB turned complete control of its DC movies over to Gunn a year later...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2024, 06:55:26 PM »

I only based my calling it such off the Wiki page on bombs.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2024, 06:56:47 PM »

It was considered an enormous financial embarrassment and a failure when it was released....... by the standards of Gunn's GOTG movies et al. Of course Covid was still wreaking havoc on theatrical numbers in August 2021 as well. Two years later the superhero movie market has really bottomed out and THE SUICIDE SQUAD now seems like a respectable return on its investment in contrast. Also I think most quarters recognized it was legitimately a (very) good movie in spite of its underperformance... WB turned complete control of its DC movies over to Gunn a year later...
I'm a huge Gunn fan and loved his Guardians series as well as Squad. I'm curious about his direction moving forward

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2024, 12:05:06 AM »

There is a South African movie called Kruger Millions which is, believe it or not, a war musical film. It was a huge box office pile of poo but it is the go to movie if you really want to see people getting squashed by elephants 😑😳😄🐘

It is on YouTube.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2024, 03:42:00 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biggest_box-office_bombs

I have seen 5 films on this list. HUDSON HAWK is the only one I really liked

JACK FROST was original enough but not my cuppa tea. budget $40m ?! I got strong 'regional horror' vibes from it...

GIGLI I watched last year just out of interest because of its reputation... can barely remember anything about it

CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK. found this boring, but not my genre anyway.

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS... love Steve Coogan's stuff as Alan Partridge, Paul Calf etc, but he was wasted in this... barely any funny moments

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2024, 05:16:41 PM »

Sounds like a bomb to me.   TeddyR  If it were my money, I'd be disappointed.  After all, George Lucas is worth 7 billion...  Lookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2024, 07:57:29 PM »

GIGLI is offensive and bad in some regards, but Walken walks away with the film during his walk-on part. As many films as he's made, that guy very rarely coasted through a role. He almost always brought his A-game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Box-Office Bombs You Like « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.