Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:58:19 AM
714717 Posts in 53103 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The VVitch (2016) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The VVitch (2016)  (Read 2964 times)
TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« on: March 06, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »

Okay; so I just finished watching this film and I literally cannot stop thinking about it. This film has gorgeous cinematograhy and a really tight sense of direction but that script!? oh it's tearing me up as to whether I want to marry it or never see it again! I dont want to go to heavily into spoilers here because anyone who see's this who hasnt seen the movie really needs to go and see it and not let a single word hit them about how good/bad this thing is. that being said consider my next paragraph spoiler(Ish) terratory.

While I absolutely love the themes and ideas explored (I.E how fear and paranoia can lead people to become incredibly irrational and eventually murderous if they feel it'll fix problems mixed in with comments about religion and its effects on culture and society) I cant help but feel that final scene (The one in the woods) totally overegged this picture. if it were up to me I'd have ended it one scene earlier than it did (The scene at the table) and for me that would have been amazing. you'd have never 100% known whether or not witches were involved nor would it have gone a little bit surreal as the ending does. I loved the idea that while witches could have been at play you'd never know for sure and that feeling that it could be the family's own doing...that there were scietific and logical reasons behind the scenarios that played out (For example the crops failing...even though they were planted in whats clearly the autumn time)...the ending as it stands frustrates me because unless its all set in the characters head from that point onwards it kind of gives you a clear ending that seems somewhat farcical...

Dont get me wrong; im of the very sincere opinion that this film will rank up there with the cult classics in about 15-20 years time. its criminal that this film hasnt done better than it has. The cast totally deserve awards for the performances that they put in here. but that ending. Ohhh man it's a total deal maker/breaker to me...I'm going to have to rewatch it some time and try to get a better feeling for it I think.

well...thats my 10 cents at least xD and I totally accept I may be wrong on the reading there of the symbolism of this movie...

TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »

Oh yeh! the only *Other* thing that bothered me about this film; How did the Baby dissapear in the first place?...Like; everything else has some kind of grounded logical explanation but literally the catalyst for these events is never explained. I mean; dont get me wrong. I like the fact that there are elements in this that are left up to the imagination. but just making something happen because "Wooooo spooky" seems a bit odd for this kind of film. theres no logistical or physical way anyone could have snatched up that baby without being heard or seen...

I mean...its not integrally bothering me...but it just doesnt sit right  Question

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »

I'll see if I can find a copy of it and have a vvatch.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »

Oh yeh! the only *Other* thing that bothered me about this film; How did the Baby dissapear in the first place?...Like; everything else has some kind of grounded logical explanation but literally the catalyst for these events is never explained. I mean; dont get me wrong. I like the fact that there are elements in this that are left up to the imagination. but just making something happen because "Wooooo spooky" seems a bit odd for this kind of film. theres no logistical or physical way anyone could have snatched up that baby without being heard or seen...

I mean...its not integrally bothering me...but it just doesnt sit right  Question

Whenever you see something like that, a vvizard (I mean, a vvitch) did it.

More thoughts here: http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,147020.0.html

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:08:39 AM »

I'm confused: is it The Witch (as Rev said) or The VVitch?

I am VVVVVVVVery confused: I mean, more than usual.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:46:07 AM »

From the trailers I've seen for it, it is The VVitch.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 04:03:07 AM »

I really vvvonder vvvyyy it is that  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 07:32:49 AM »

I loved this movie and bought a copy of it when Hasting's closed last year; I need to re-watch it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 08:45:48 AM »

It's spelled "VVitch" on the posters.

I found a quote: "It’s a printing press thing. In the period, if you ran out of W’s, you could just use two V’s. I saw a Jacobean witch pamphlet that had it, and I thought it looked great."--Robert Eggers, writer/director

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 02:51:14 PM »

It's spelled "VVitch" on the posters.

I found a quote: "It’s a printing press thing. In the period, if you ran out of W’s, you could just use two V’s. I saw a Jacobean witch pamphlet that had it, and I thought it looked great."--Robert Eggers, writer/director

If anything that just muddles it even further! xD do I go authentic and pretend my keyboards run out of "W's" or do I put "Witch" and feel like im living a lie!  Buggedout xD

TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »

Whenever you see something like that, a vvizard (I mean, a vvitch) did it.

More thoughts here: http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,147020.0.html

xD that made me laugh way more than it should; I saw a video about this today which basically claimed that this movie should be viewed from the perspective that its narrative has been warped and distorted as a folk tale would have been after multiple tellings...so I mean; I guess that kind of explains away the ending and the Babys sudden vanishing...but I dont know...that just feels like too easy an "out" for me...I'd actually prefer "a wizard did it!" xD

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The VVitch (2016) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.