Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:35:52 PM
715372 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7759 Members
Latest Member: Daniel Kay
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Horror Movies vs. Horror Video Games « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Horror Movies vs. Horror Video Games  (Read 924 times)
Neon Noodle
« on: August 23, 2003, 08:07:53 AM »

It would seem that there are very few horror movies left in the world that are actually SCARY.  The original Exorcist, Hellraiser, are part of those select few that still produce that gooseflesh feeling.

But, there are quite a few horror video games that can still capture that fear quality. One of my friends said that since movies are static (i.e. we watch them but don't interact) and video games are interactive, we feel empathy for the character we control and thus get scared when the unexpected happens.

I just finished Silent Hill 3 and there were more than a few scenes that scared the crud out of me. Taking the memory card out of the game system is like removing those safety protocols on the holodeck.

Thoughts, anyone? Which do you think are scarier and why?
I luv dolma
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 05:26:37 PM »

Where, or where should I get started? The first time I played a horror game was when I rented Resident Evil 2. Gave me nightmares. Went back and beat it. And then came Silent Hill 2. s**t. The one part in the beginning, in the old apartment building. This cone head guy walks in and stares at me while I'm hidding in a closet for like five minues. I'm about to p**s in my pants. Games can be so much more scarey. Especially that "Zap" program where its a different game each time. Movies don't have that. Each time you watch a movie, its the same thing over again.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 05:52:00 PM »

I used to play the original Resident Evil at night with all the lights turned off and it scared the hell out of me!
Especially when one of those dogs would jump out at you or zombie hands would break through the wall and grab at you!

Scary s**t!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 10:02:46 PM »

I agree that the "shock" moments make me jump more in video games, but I figure that's because I'm more in the moment in games than at the movies.

However, I think the tension factor in games is much higher because of the presence of death.  In movies, people can die but there are rules, especially with the characters we are meant to relate to.  It's not likely the star of the film is going to die halfway through the story.  In a video game, the character we control can usually die at any time.  That gives you no guarantee as you walk through a "scene" that you are going to live.  One false step can mean your DOOM!  (Sorry, just watched Phibes.)  So combine the increased tension with creepy doin's, and you've got an effective way to increase horror.

Of course, games have the "save" factor as well, and usually aren't as scary when you know what's coming and are confident in your abilities.  I think that's why after all this time the Resident Evil series still has fairly crap controls.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
dean
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 12:48:04 AM »

i agree with mofo rising, doom can strike at any given moment, so therefore you actually CARE whether you live or die [unlike every character except for seth green in the scream series] and also saving can make it a lot less tense, however when you do it for the first time [and if you actaully mean it] it still scares the crap outta me.  the good thing about resident evil [i've only played no.2] is that the save sections are fairly wide apart so therefore theres a BIG gap in between.

also the Aliens Vs Predator PC games are full of big shocks.  sure its a first person shooter, and when you're the aliens there isn't too much shock, but when you're an ill-equipped marine, playing on hard, where aliens are just pouring outta holes in the walls, it makes for some very scary moments [the lighting is so dark, and all you got is the bleeping of the motion sensors that they used in Aliens] it creeped me out big time

yay for horror games!
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 01:20:34 AM »

I agree on Aliens vs. Predator.

Playing as a colonial marine is quite scary!

I have it on my p.c. and it's made me jump several times especially if you play it with the lights off!
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 02:41:27 AM »

Video games are only scary the first time through. Once you know what's coming it just becomes routine.
dean
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 09:53:05 AM »

'Video games are only scary the first time through. Once you know what's coming it just becomes routine'

the exact same thing could be said for horror movies [and i'm a fan of both]

in one media class i had a few years ago we had to study scream and were forced to watch the opening scene over and over again until i knew absolutely everything off by heart.  

not that i was scared of that movie at all [*whimper*]
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 08:39:38 AM »

I don't play many horror video games (I play mostly sports and strategy games). As for horror movies, there are very few really scary ones. ROSEMARY'S BABY, THE EXORCIST, THE OMEN, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, and a few others are top-notch horror classics. I think it is because they deal with FEAR rather than SHOCK. (I'm sorry, but I do not get scared by a cat jumping through a window or a phone ringing in the middle of a quiet scene). The above movies all deal with paranoia, hopelessness, isolation, etc., which are all concepts that can be VERY scary if they are handled properly. I refer to these as "got in, but can't get out" movies, meaning that someone has gotten into a bad situation, but is having a really tough time getting OUT of it. Now THAT'S scary.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 08:23:48 PM »

"Resident Evil 3:Nemesis" is VERY scary,especially because I donĀ“t know how to kill The Nemesis!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Horror Movies vs. Horror Video Games « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.