Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:26:09 PM
715372 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7759 Members
Latest Member: Daniel Kay
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fairly Accurate Historical Films « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fairly Accurate Historical Films  (Read 2358 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: February 01, 2023, 08:46:58 PM »

I thought this would be a nice companion piece to the other thread.
What historical films got it right, in your opinion?  Not necessarily accurate to every single detail, but they captured the events and the character of the persons portrayed with a reasonable degree of accuracy?

I'll start with two of my favorites:

THE ALAMO (2004) - Probably the most accurate Alamo movie ever made, it also captured the persona of the three main Alamo defenders in a way that reflects what we know of them - William Travis the social climber, Jim Bowie, the ruthless and brave criminal, and David Crockett, who came to Texas to salvage his political career and wound up in a fight he hadn't bargained for.  Sam Houston was also brilliantly portrayed by Dennis Quaid, as he tried first to scrape together enough of an army to relieve the Alamo, and then to hold his force together long enough to avenge the fort's loss.  The movie also captured the charisma and ruthlessness of Santa Anna very well, although the actor portraying him was far older than the Mexican President was at the time of the siege.  Ironically, this brilliantly cast and well-acted film was a horrible flop at the box office - I guess Texans preferred John Wayne's macho myth to a more nuanced account.

LINCOLN (2012) I absolutely love this film.   Abraham Lincoln is one of my greatest heroes, and Daniel Day-Lewis brought him back to life in this remarkable account of the battle to pass the 13th Amendment through the House of Representatives.  Mary Todd Lincoln is portrayed in full carpet-chewing glory by Sally Field, and the supporting cast - including Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stephens and David Strathairn as Secretary of State William Seward - is top notch!  I have seen this movie at least eight times and enjoy it every time.  There are minor errors here and there, but by and large this movie captures Lincoln in all his melancholy, compassionate, and flawed glory.

OK, your turn.  What historical films do you think got it right?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 11:35:44 PM »

METROPOLIS.
It's the same as now-only in a user friendly form.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 02:06:30 AM »

A Bridge too Far

There are a number of nits to pick, but they got it generally right, also, perhaps, because at the time there were still plenty of people around who remembered the real thing.

Also extra points for having the main advance preceded by an artillery barrage, instead of just storming ahead.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 02:36:43 AM »

A Bridge too Far

There are a number of nits to pick, but they got it generally right, also, perhaps, because at the time there were still plenty of people around who remembered the real thing.

Also extra points for having the main advance preceded by an artillery barrage, instead of just storming ahead.

I can recommend the book by Cornelius Ryan.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 10:28:05 AM »

Although it was based on a 19th century novel, of course, it's said no other film got the 18th century right quite like Barry Lyndon did. From the use of lenses to allow filming by ambient candlelight alone, to the application of makeup made from period materials, to the simulation of smallpox scars, to the speech patterns (including having some character speak in a peculiar regional Irish accent that basically died out before the 20th century), to clothing that matched the changing attire of the various decades shown, to the use of something as minor as clay pipes made as they would have been then, Kubrick raised the bar very high here.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 08:21:09 PM »

Although it was based on a 19th century novel, of course, it's said no other film got the 18th century right quite like Barry Lyndon did. From the use of lenses to allow filming by ambient candlelight alone, to the application of makeup made from period materials, to the simulation of smallpox scars, to the speech patterns (including having some character speak in a peculiar regional Irish accent that basically died out before the 20th century), to clothing that matched the changing attire of the various decades shown, to the use of something as minor as clay pipes made as they would have been then, Kubrick raised the bar very high here.

I really need to watch this one at some point.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 09:46:24 PM »

Magnificent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EykTXlhVmTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC5gJEoMvQ4
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 09:53:23 PM »

Also, challenging ones. For example, Full Metal Jacket was shot in Britain because Kubrick didn't want to fly. They had to add lots of tropical plants and hire Asians in Europe as extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_WfmSYAuQ

Reminds me of Kurosawa trying to figure out how to hid electricity lines and poles in period pieces like Kagemusha and Ran.

Meanwhile, much less effort is needed for that (and more) now thanks to computers. From over a decade ago, and involving TV shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnozSXyF4k

Something to consider the next time you hear viewers talk about the wonderful cinematography and scenery in various movies and shows.

And now I hear they can now use virtual sets in place of green screen. This should made the effort to be historically accurate less difficult.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 10:29:11 PM »

Another recent favorite of mine was 1917.

Although the main story is clearly fictitious, I don't know that I have ever seen any film capture the horror of the trenches and the sheer carnage of no-man's-land as well as this film did.  I show my history class the clip of the two British soldiers crossing over to the abandoned German trenches when I teach that unit of history each year.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 09:48:37 AM »

My Brilliant Career

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »

I really need to watch this one at some point.

You haven't seen BARRY LYNDON?  It's a favorite; I own it on DVD and the Soundtrack.  I dislike RYAN O'NEAL which makes the film an example of perfect casting. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 02:15:44 AM »

Saving Private Ryan is listed as such, but that's probably in reference to the first half of the movie. Some reviewers questions the second half involving a German panzer division entering an abandoned town. With years of battle experience, they would have known not to enter such without scouting first. Besides, even if they were rushing, the scouts and storm troopers would arrive earlier than the armor.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 10:47:39 AM »

I hate films in this genre (unless they're made by South Africans) but I have to admit that Attenborough's Cry Freedom is quite accurate in many ways.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 11:29:33 AM »

One of my favorite movies, LA Confidential, was masterful in presenting social attitudes from the era it depicted. It was also meticulous in its protrayal of clothing, music, cars, and real life locations. It's simply a great film.

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2023, 09:16:20 PM »

It's going to be easier to do now given not only CGI with green screen but even virtual sets.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fairly Accurate Historical Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.