Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:14:45 AM
715143 Posts in 53124 Topics by 7755 Members
Latest Member: Independentbbz
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Civility open forum « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civility open forum  (Read 2413 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: August 05, 2019, 06:57:50 PM »

Given the large amount of flaming lately and a few defections from our little community, I thought it might be time for an open discussion on the question of civility and treating everyone with respect.

For a reminder, here's the relevant section of the Forum Rules:

Rule #1:  Common Courtesy
Please be polite when posting.  Discussing movies is naturally going to lead to conversations with other people who do not agree with your opinion of a film.  One of the great things about that is that neither opinion is wrong, the film simply hit the right chord for one of you and failed to entertain the other.  You do not have to agree with everyone and a good debate is definitely an asset to the community. Flame wars are useless, so rude and insulting behavior is not tolerated.

Notice it's Rule #1, the most important rule of all! (It also quaintly assumes people would be arguing over bad movies, which is never the case, but let's move on).

"Rude and insulting behavior is not tolerated" is a wonderful sentiment, but kind of hard to put into practice.

I personally do not want to be a disciplinarian, for many reasons. One, I'm not sure I have any special authority just by virtue of being the only mod who checks in anymore.

Two, I get the feeling that many people prefer a "hands-off" approach to moderation that maximizes freedom of speech. I have seen forums with lots of crazy rules to abide by, where half the threads get locked. I wouldn't want this place to ever come to that.

And three, it introduces an element of politics. I don't want people petitioning me to ban certain members they don't like, or for people to take sides and form factions.

I think we should all have a culture of civility, politeness, and friendship here. Any suggestions for encouraging that culture, and for what to do when someone breaks the rules. I hope there will be some kind of consensus on what kind of community we all want.

I am thinking maybe I will start locking more threads when they get flame-y, and maybe people would get the picture. It's certainly a less drastic option than starting to ban people. Thoughts?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »

I think it is only Andrew's place to decide a member should be "banned". 

I would be hesitant to lock threads if I had such ability.   I believe anyone petitioning a moderator regarding "banning" a member or "locking" a thread may be out of line.  Of course, a member who locks there own thread or requests such seems reasonable. 

Having experienced jaw-dropping insults at this forum, I consider that simply part of the territory, like creative writing.  However, many of the worst insults are veiled behind karma, and may not be readily apparent. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 07:37:46 PM »

I agree with Hallows. Locking threads is not the answer.
Of course I have no answer- but locking threads ain't it.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 07:57:36 PM »

Greg, you are probably the smartest, wittiest person in the history of BMDO, and I mean that, and part of me thinks it's cute that years after the site's owner jumped ship on this Mary Celeste of anarachy, you're still playing appointed hall monitor like it's 2010. Good grief, the last chopper has left Saigon, didn't you get the memo?

Civility, yes, that's due when it's due, which is not always in the case of a monster, but talk of locking threads, etc. like this is Catholic school? Please.  You weren't even here for most of a year and this captainless barge chugged along just fine. Be a member, not a nanny.  I'd say your term as sheriff ended a long time ago.

'Sides, I hear Andrew's coming back....soon.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »

Greg, you are probably the smartest, wittiest person in the history of BMDO, and I mean that, and part of me thinks it's cute that years after the site's owner jumped ship on this Mary Celeste of anarachy, you're still playing appointed hall monitor like it's 2010. Good grief, the last chopper has left Saigon, didn't you get the memo?

Civility, yes, that's due when it's due, which is not always in the case of a monster, but talk of locking threads, etc. like this is Catholic school? Please.  You weren't even here for most of a year and this captainless barge chugged along just fine. Be a member, not a nanny.  I'd say your term as sheriff ended a long time ago.

ER- I call bulls**t.
The REV has fixed this forum when it was down, and I think he's the ONLY good choice since Andrew's departure.
And I don't know where you heard the nonsense that Andrew is coming back.
The only reason you don't like him being mod is you may be the first banned- because you constantly attack Sven.
I don't agree with all Sven's posts either- but throwing rocks doesn't fix anything.
Horses**t.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 08:15:33 PM »

ER- I call bulls**t.
The REV has fixed this forum when it was down, and I think he's the ONLY good choice since Andrew's departure.
And I don't know where you heard the nonsense that Andrew is coming back.
The only reason you don't like him being mod is you may be the first banned- because you constantly attack Sven.
I don't agree with all Sven's posts either- but throwing rocks doesn't fix anything.
Horses**t.

Thanks RC, but I didn't fix anything, and in fact I can't.

And no, I wasn't thinking of banning anyone---and the only types of bans I would ever consider are short term ones, like 24 hours to a week. No one here right now deserves a permanent ban. And locking a few threads would be less drastic.

So, so far every seems to favor the hands-off approach. Fine with me. Just try to remember the point is to have fun!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:08:03 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »

Rev never said he was gonna BAN anyone. Just lock threads when a flame war starts.
Because this is BAD MOVIES- we talk about movies remember?
Not a blog about politics or religion.
Sven posts about movies. When's the last time you did?
The real ONLY thing I have with Sven is his refusal to type a paragraph I can actually read without a Captain Video decoder ring.
ER- I'm actually glad your back. Talk more about BAD movies, fer Satan's sake!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:29:42 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:03:07 PM »

Sven posts about movies. When's the last time you did?

Yesterday!   TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 09:21:06 PM »

Yeah, toxicity gets kinda out of hand here.

I really like this place but I get bummed out when threads suddenly devolve into a massive p**sing contest.

I don't think anyone deserves to be permanently banned, but I think temporary bans will work fine for just getting the message across.
Nothing over a week, though. I'd PREFER if nobody got banned at all though and everyone just got along.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:23:22 PM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 09:25:03 PM »

I know you do! Your a Monster Kid!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 06:02:35 AM »

As long I can still insult garbage movies with perfect score in IMDb, all will be fine.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 07:50:09 AM »

Given the large amount of flaming lately and a few defections from our little community, I thought it might be time for an open discussion on the question of civility and treating everyone with respect.

For a reminder, here's the relevant section of the Forum Rules:

Rule #1:  Common Courtesy
Please be polite when posting.  Discussing movies is naturally going to lead to conversations with other people who do not agree with your opinion of a film.  One of the great things about that is that neither opinion is wrong, the film simply hit the right chord for one of you and failed to entertain the other.  You do not have to agree with everyone and a good debate is definitely an asset to the community. Flame wars are useless, so rude and insulting behavior is not tolerated.

Notice it's Rule #1, the most important rule of all! (It also quaintly assumes people would be arguing over bad movies, which is never the case, but let's move on).

"Rude and insulting behavior is not tolerated" is a wonderful sentiment, but kind of hard to put into practice.

I personally do not want to be a disciplinarian, for many reasons. One, I'm not sure I have any special authority just by virtue of being the only mod who checks in anymore.

Two, I get the feeling that many people prefer a "hands-off" approach to moderation that maximizes freedom of speech. I have seen forums with lots of crazy rules to abide by, where half the threads get locked. I wouldn't want this place to ever come to that.

And three, it introduces an element of politics. I don't want people petitioning me to ban certain members they don't like, or for people to take sides and form factions.

I think we should all have a culture of civility, politeness, and friendship here. Any suggestions for encouraging that culture, and for what to do when someone breaks the rules. I hope there will be some kind of consensus on what kind of community we all want.

I am thinking maybe I will start locking more threads when they get flame-y, and maybe people would get the picture. It's certainly a less drastic option than starting to ban people. Thoughts?

I'm one of the old members here and I feel that there are certain members who don't exercise restraint when they post: we should argue about the technical merits of films like Manos and about the pro-South African stance of films like Lethal Weapon 2, not politics or anything like that. At times, this site - my home - comes off like the Soapbox on the IMDB message boards and that makes me go  Buggedout

I'm all for civility and courtesy:if you feel the need to go after someone, there is the PM for that.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Civility open forum « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.