Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:52:32 AM
715341 Posts in 53132 Topics by 7758 Members
Latest Member: Augustxlj
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2124460 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2745 on: August 25, 2010, 06:50:14 AM »

SEA OF DUST - Prester John was a myth, a Christian king in a far off land who was fabulously rich and willing to sponsor the next Crusade.  Generations of medieval monarchs sought him in hopes he would help them reconquer the Holy Land for Christ.  Eventually, so many people believed in him he started to believe in himself.
This is the underlying premise for the rather confusing movie SEA OF DUST.   A young man is sent by his professor to help a village doctor in a small town where the villagers have fallen under the influence of Prester John, who unleashes a frenzy of bloodlust and killing among them.
  OK, I was tired when I watched this, but I must admit I found it confusing and a little offensive - once more, Hollywood is targeting Christianity as a homicidal, psychotic religion.  Tom Savini was fairly cool as the utterly evil Prester John, but the movie as a whole did not work for me.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2746 on: August 25, 2010, 12:44:15 PM »

SEA OF DUST - Prester John was a myth, a Christian king in a far off land who was fabulously rich and willing to sponsor the next Crusade.  Generations of medieval monarchs sought him in hopes he would help them reconquer the Holy Land for Christ.  Eventually, so many people believed in him he started to believe in himself.
This is the underlying premise for the rather confusing movie SEA OF DUST.   A young man is sent by his professor to help a village doctor in a small town where the villagers have fallen under the influence of Prester John, who unleashes a frenzy of bloodlust and killing among them.
  OK, I was tired when I watched this, but I must admit I found it confusing and a little offensive - once more, Hollywood is targeting Christianity as a homicidal, psychotic religion.  Tom Savini was fairly cool as the utterly evil Prester John, but the movie as a whole did not work for me.

This is the movie with Ingrid Pitt, right? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2747 on: August 25, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »

Watched a few movies on the Movie Network last night including:

17 Again (2009): Mike O' Donnell (Matthew Perry) is a family man who regrets the choices his made in his life, in particular when he decided to get married and raise a family over pursuing a basketball career, gets a chance to relive his youth again when he's suddenly turned 17 again (as a teen Mike is played by Zac Efron). Soon he finds himself in high school with his own kids and comes to realize they actually need his help, guidance and experience.

This was like a slightly more vulgar and adult modern-era Disney Shopping Cart movie. We've seen these type of movies before - 13 Going On 30, Big, Freaky Friday It's actually much better than I expected it to be. I think it's because the cast proves surprisingly likable especially Efron but also Leslie Mann as O'Donnell's estranged wife and Sterling Knight and Michelle Trachtenberg as his kids. Even Perry does well enough and is especially effective in the early scenes. I even liked the nerdy geeky Ned Gold played by Thomas Lennon who has a sweet collection of collectables. The only problem here is it's a little hard to buy Efron turning into Perry. Aside from that and some of the humor seeming a bit crude and forced at times, this was surprisingly good, innocent harmless fun. *** out of ***** stars.

Tropic Thunder (2008): A fed-up director trying to shoot an epic war film decides to take a group of troublesome spoiled actors into the Vietnamese jungle to shoot his movie guerrilla style via hidden cameras and improvisation only to find themselves stranded for real in the jungle and having to try and outwit the real armed forces of an Asian drug lord.

This was hilarious! It's one of the funniest modern-era films I've seen. It's zany and over the top but also very, very funny. Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., Jay Baruchel, Jack Black, Brandon T. Jackson and even the surprise guest stars were just so funny and crazy here. This frequently had me in tears from laughing so hard although some of the gore and violence might be a bit much for some. Still everything's so outrageous exaggerated here, it all seems more than a bit ridiculous. I think what really makes the film work so well is the believable reactions the characters have towards unfolding events. ***1/2 out of ***** stars

The Fourth Kind (2009): A woman tries to get her story of alien abduction out to the public using a combination of real and dramatized footage. In the dramatized footage, Milla Jovovich plays Dr. Abbey Tyler who believes herself and her family plus many other people in Nome, Alaska, the victims of alien abductions - the memories of which are suppressed in most people.

SPOILER WARNING!:

The footage here isn't actually real at all - the so-called "real" footage is anything but and the entire thing is made up ala The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity.  It's all fictional. Despite this, I really enjoyed this one and I admire the efforts of those behind the film to truly try to give us a chill and scare us - however they actually didn't do a very convincing job in this case and they really should have just put into the film at some point, perhaps at the end, that it was in fact a fictional story and hope we gave you a good fright. I like the way the film attempts to scare not to showing us unconvincing aliens full force but actually playing upon the types of things that have in fact been reported to accompany such events - time loss, memory loss, electrical interference, real things suddenly taking on a menacing quality. Obviously it's not entirely convincing but it does seem pretty creepy at times. *** out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:10:17 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Swamp Thing
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2748 on: August 25, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »

The other day I watched a decent straight-to-dvd horror/thriller called Burning Bright about a tiger that gets loosed in a boarded up house and ends up chasing around a brother and sister for the whole movie. Was a good watch.

And last night I watched Moon again because I really like that movie. Sam Rockwell is great in it.

Abby Arcane: Is there a Mrs. Swamp Thing?
Swamp Thing: No, I'm a bachelor.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2749 on: August 26, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »

HERCULES AND THE CAPTIVE WOMEN (1961): A prophecy of doom sends Hercules sailing off in a random direction until he eventually lands on Atlantis where an evil queen is creating an army of supermen with the help of her pet rock.  Herc literally naps through the first third of the movie, and you'll want to as well; picks up a bit after that, but sets and costumes are the only high point in this sword and sandal snorefest.  Makes me long to see the MST3K version again.  1.5/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2750 on: August 26, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »

Scandal Sheet (1952)- good but overrated noir.  It's one of the ones where you know who did it but watch to see if the people can figure it out.  It has a kind of phoned in condemnation of sensational news outlets but undercutting this is the fact that the supposedly degenerate reporters are the ones who are solving the crime!!  Would the snobs who liked the paper when no one bought it like crimes to go unsloved or something? A better appraisal of the media is in Billy Wilders "Ace in the Hole" (1951).

Other things getting in the way for me were the fact that the victim was completely unsympathetic and the murderer screws up in a really stupid unbelievable way and I am pretty easy with stuff like that. So some of it didn't work well for me but it was clever and I liked watching them slowly figure stuff out and the murderer guy squirming.

3.75/5
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:17:34 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2751 on: August 26, 2010, 11:17:53 PM »

Watched another Quality Video Inc. dollar DVD. The picture quality was passable I guess but more or less what you'd expect from these public domain releases. The picture is a bit too dark and murky at times and there seems to be a few minutes missing from the second film.

The Legend of Sea Wolf (1975): A British gentleman named Humphrey Van Weyden (Giuseppe Pambieri), after being attacked and knocked on the head, is stunned when he wakes up to find himself aboard a sailing sealing vessel commanded by the nefarious and hedonistic Wolf Larsen (Chuck Connors). Soon Van Weyden is forced to serve on the ship as dishwasher and gopher but eventually uses his smarts and wits to convince the Captain he deserves something better. Treachery and doublecrosses abound aboard the vessel where men are captured and forced to work under the harshest and hardest of conditions with little food and water. When a young woman, one Maud Brewster (Barbara Bach) is rescued from a shipwreck and brought aboard, it inflames the situation even more as does the arrival on the scene of a steam ship commanded by Wolf Larsen's brother Death Larsen who's even more feared and reviled than his brother.

This wasn't too bad really. Obviously this Jack London story has been done better before and this Italian version seems a bit lacking when compared to some of the higher budgeted adaptations of this story yet it has a certain appeal. Chuck Connors is surprisingly good and convincing in the Wolf Larsen role adding a little bit of a sympathetic edge to his character who nevertheless remains quite hard by nature. Of course, he doesn't compare to Edward G. Robinson's take. This also lacks a bit in terms of actual action as there seems to be a few less battles that in other versions I've seen. In fact, even the 1993 TV version with Charles Bronson was better in this regard (actually I liked Bronson's take on Larsen too). Giuseppe Pambieri does well enough as the hero and Barbara Bach does what's necessary for her role which however is disappointingly short. Not bad but but not great either. Doesn't offer up much truly new. **1/2 out of ***** stars

Mutiny (1952): At the beginning of the War of 1812, one Captain James Marshall (Mark Stevens) is assigned a very special secret mission - he's to navigate his frigate ship around the British blockade into France to retrieve 10 Million in gold bullion the French people are offering the Americans in support of their war effort. Controversially, Marshall decides to enlist a disgraced British Captain Ben Waldridge (Patric Knowles) as first officer, given his knowledge of the enemy and their tactics, for the mission. Waldrige insists on bringing his own gunner crew,  a rowdy bunch of sailors and cutthroats (including familiar faces Gene Evans as Hook - a hook-handed ruffian and Rhys Williams as Redlegs), who are soon plotting to mutiny once they hear about the gold that will be brought on board.

This high-seas adventure offers up some interesting and fun surprises and really had me guessing as to just how it might play out on a couple of occasions; particularly as regards to just what actions certain characters might take. Angela Lansbury as Waldrige's love interest Leslie steals a lot of the movie and in essence becomes its lead villain. She's very much the 1940s-1950s femme fatale so common in film noir films of the era, a money-hungry and manipulative woman who uses her wile and good looks to good advantage. Stevens is a very likable hero while Knowles has the more interesting and challenging part of the troubled Waldridge. The other familiar faces only add to the fun. The constant scheming, war vessels, battle maneuvers and the presence of an antiquated submarine only adds to the interest factor. Despite all of this, the film never quite satisfies the way one would like. Maybe it's because most of the sea battle are much too short-lived and things play out a tad predictably on occasion. Still I'd give this *** out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:34:02 AM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2752 on: August 27, 2010, 12:56:03 AM »

Adam's Apples~ Adam is a recent parolee and neo nazi who is sent to Ivans church/halfway house. Ivan ask Adam to set a goal for his time there and Adam says.. To bake an apple pie from the Apple tree on the property. Its not going to be as easy as either of them expect. The priest Ivan refuses to acknowledge the evil in the world.. literally refuses to see it or admit it. Adam only sees the evil and sets out to "break"Ivan, force him to see the bad stuff. A few other quirky characters round out this amazing cast. Two other parolees, the local doctor, and a pregnant woman.

This is so heartbreaking and so funny at the same time. Its an absolutely amazing movie. One of the best I have watched this year.  I loved it. If you enjoy dark comedies, quirky films, or films with a heart you should see this one.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2753 on: August 27, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »

He who gets slapped (1924)- This is one of those movies I liked even though it wasn't that good. I liked the tone of it. Lon CHney is a scientist whose makes some great discovery but his benefactor, the baron, not only steals his ideas and presents them as his own, but takes his (the scientists) wife too!  For some reason he can't prove the ideas were his he just shuts down in front of the assembly. and how will the baron go on with the science stuff he didn't come up with? There are other plot holes too.

At any rate, the emasculated guy decides to just embrace his humilation and become a clown named "He Who Gets Slapped". Thats his clown name. His gimmick is he gets slapped by everyone and this sends the crown into hysterics and he becomes hugely popular. There is even a big neon sign with him getting slapped. There are some weird special effects too with freaky clown stuff and globes, not nearly enough. Norma Shearer was good as the love interest but the whole thing just didn't grab you.

it wasn't a bad way to kill an evening but not surpised to see it hasn't been rereleased commercially. saw on TCM  

3/5

Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:30:16 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2754 on: August 27, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »

I watched SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD last night.  I was pretty disappointed.  I have enjoyed some of Romero's recent stuff - I loved the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD, finding it in some ways even better than the original.  LAND OF THE DEAD was kinda shaky, but I LOVED DIARY OF THE DEAD.  So I had high hopes here, but this movie was just awful.  How many generations have these Irish immigrants been in Delaware, and they STILL haven't lost their goofy accents?  I'm afraid old George has ridden his one trick pony into the ground.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2755 on: August 28, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »

Appointment with Danger (1952)- another lesser known noir. this is I believe the only movie I have ever seen about a postal detective! noir heavyweight Alan Ladd plays the role with trademark cynicism. A bunch of guys are planning on robbing a delivery of money (shouldn't it be in an armored car? maybe it was I can't rememeber)  ( I don't think so),  Anyway before all that they kill a guy and a nun sees them. She is nice and the scenes with her are good. The middle section with the guys talking is often rather mechanical. Then there is another woman, a jazz loving moll and she is cool too. The nun and the Moll should have had their own movie. It picks up as the heist gets under way and there is a lot of the cleverness and tension you would expect.

not at all mandatory and it drags a bit in the middle but pretty good. 3.75/5
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2756 on: August 28, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »

I watched - or tried to watch - NINJAS VS. ZOMBIES last night.  It was a fun, low budget movie that didn't take itself too seriously, and the acting was bad enough to be humorous but not so much so as to be painful.  This sorceror holds a seance to resurrect his dead brother, who comes to life with the ability to suck out people's souls and turn them into zombies.  Three is a battle near the end between the good and bad socerors, with the good guy being aided by a group of "ninjas" (thirtysomething American slackers with a modicum of martial arts experience).

I was very tired after the first week of school, and caught myself dozing a time or two, but what I saw was not too bad.  They set it up for a sequel, NINJAS VS. VAMPIRES.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2757 on: August 28, 2010, 05:36:16 PM »

MST3K: BLOOD WATERS OF DR. Z: The movie, about a mad scientist who turns into a fish to kill his enemies, is dull and dreary in that 1970s way.  The riffing is average, host segments ho-hum.  There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a very average episode. 3/5.

3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2758 on: August 28, 2010, 11:07:41 PM »

I've watched a few so bear with me....

Creep~ A very unlikable woman falls asleep in the subway and wakes up locked in with a crazed killer. Nothing to see here folks, move along... Typical killer, no scares, and unlikable stupid characters(except the two homeless people and the dog) I don't know about you but if someone is trying to kill me and I have a crowbar handy im going to use it till I see brain matter... but that's just me. I for sure wouldn't drop the damn thing and take off running.  Lookingup 

Sugarhouse~ Tom wants to buy a gun so he contacts his local crackhead to get it. unfortunately the gun the crackhead is selling belongs to a bad ass /sarcasm..  drug dealer named hoodwink   Lookingup  played unconvincingly by Andy Serkis. hoodwink just happens to have some of the lamest tattoos I've ever had the misfortune of seeing(on his ass no less) What a mess this was. Im supposed to think of this bald guy with stupid tats, white pants, and a ugly ass yellow shirt as some kinda tough guy? nope.

Le Moustache~ One day Marc decides to shave off the mustache he has had for years but is surprised when no one seems to notice. Not his wife, friends or coworkers.. things start spiraling out of control. Is he going insane or is everyone just messing with him?.. Beats the hell outta me. Im all for artsy films that want to "challenge" you, want to leave the interpretation up to the viewer..blah, blah,..Its just a silly movie with no meaning, no closure, and basically just the director giving everyone the middle finger.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2759 on: August 29, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »

THANKSKILLING (2009):  A killer turkey stalks a jock, a fat hillbilly, a nerd, a naughty babe, and a nice babe in this hour long homemade Troma-style horror-comedy. It starts out with an axe-wielding turkey puppet stalking a topless Pilgrim woman (be warned: the movie blows its entire nudity budget in the first five minutes).  The whole thing's so proudly cheap and dumb, you'll be convinced it was made by actual frat boys over spring break. 2.5/5.  I think this could be up Indy's alley!

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.