Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:53:49 PM
715373 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7759 Members
Latest Member: Daniel Kay
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2124667 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3180 on: January 11, 2011, 10:50:44 AM »

LOLILOVE (2004)

Jenna Fisher wrote, directed and has the female lead in Troma mockumentary that has a few laugh moments, but most are very typical of Troma.  Worth a look when in the mood for something mindless and silly.  Fitting cameo for Lloyd Kaufman.

2.5 out 5; not terrible, but nothing supremely memorable.  I think the Chris Guest mockumentaries 'stay' with you longer.

CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981)

One of the fun things about having small children that have not seen all of the movies I love is getting to go back and watch them again! This is one of them.

I don't remember the bare boobies scene (Perseus as a baby breast feeding) when showed this in my High School English Class, though.   Twirling

5 out of 5; I dig Harryhausen's effects, the story is fun and the little ones loved it as well.

MST: 3000: THE STARFIGHTERS

This has to be one of the most boring movies ever shown MST: 3000.  NOTHING happens!  It is basically a bunch of edited stock footage of F104's flying and taking off. But, that gives Mike and the bots some of the best fodder as well, and they had me laughing pretty hard quite a few times.  I read somewhere (wikipedia maybe?) that some MST fans consider this to some of the best riffing in the whole series - up there with MANOS - and the ep has 8/10 on IMDB.

4.5 out of 5; well worth a watch for MST, but don't expect ANYTHING from the movie itself - it's pointless.

MOBY DICK(1956)

WOW!  A couple of months ago, while driving in the car, I told my children the story of "Moby Dick" and Ahab's obsession with the white whale (personifying whatever obsessions we all have).  They loved the story and begged for more (as is typical), so when I saw the 1956 version with Gregory Peck on Hulu, I was ecstatic.  

Peck's performance is beyond ANYTHING being done on the big screen nowadays.  Holy cow, Orson Welles' delivery of the sermon was mesmerizing.  Where is this kind of acting today?  Paris Hilton?  Ben Affleck?  Give me a break.

Also, one for the "I didn't know" thread: Ray Bradbury co-wrote the screen play.

5 out of 5, Great story, great performances (all around, not just the ones mentioned), great direction and great visuals...a must see in my opinion.

MST:3000: SECRET AGENT SUPER DRAGON

Another good romp for laughs.  This movie is BAD, but the riffs are quite funny.  I watched this with headphones on while my wife was doing other things, and she was laughing at ME laughing at the riffs - "you are laughing like a little girl!"  They had some really fun (and subtle) references to other movies and TV shows that totally caught me off guard.

4 out 5 for me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:57:05 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3181 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »

Rats :night of terror - I didn't like this as much as the fake Warriors one ("2019: after the fall of New york"? ) but it was still pretty good.  Alot of it takes place in the same building so it's not as interesting to watch as some of the the others with their makeshift futuristic sets or weird sewer/ abandoned building industrial weirdness but it's got silly dubbing and ridiculous people and RATS.

3.75/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3182 on: January 13, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »

ALICE (NECO Z ALENKY) (1988): (Re-watch).  A young girl visits a wonderful land of white rabbits, mad hatters and skull-faced animals with razor sharp teeth in this dark and surreal stop-motion animation adaptation of ALICE IN WONDERLAND. The whimsical flavor of Lewis Carroll blends astoundingly well with Jan Svankmajer's nightmare seasonings, like mixing pure cane sugar with white powder heroin. 5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3183 on: January 13, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »

ALICE (NECO Z ALENKY) (1988): (Re-watch).  A young girl visits a wonderful land of white rabbits, mad hatters and skull-faced animals with razor sharp teeth in this dark and surreal stop-motion animation adaptation of ALICE IN WONDERLAND. The whimsical flavor of Lewis Carroll blends astoundingly well with Jan Svankmajer's nightmare seasonings, like mixing pure cane sugar with white powder heroin. 5/5.

I'm definately a fan of Svankmajer, and this was the first film of his I saw. I am happy to say I saw it on the big screen when it came out. One of the benefits of living in Los Angeles: seeing non-wide release films.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3184 on: January 13, 2011, 01:44:36 PM »

Was that the first time you've seen it?

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3185 on: January 13, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »

No, I saw it when I was in my twenties.  I looked back and was shocked to see I only rated it 4/5, even though it stuck with me all these years!  You were lucky to see it on the big screen, I can only imagine.  Svankmajer has another film out right now, but I doubt it will play Louisville.  You should go if you get the chance. 

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3186 on: January 13, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »

No, I saw it when I was in my twenties.  I looked back and was shocked to see I only rated it 4/5, even though it stuck with me all these years!  You were lucky to see it on the big screen, I can only imagine.  Svankmajer has another film out right now, but I doubt it will play Louisville.  You should go if you get the chance. 

I would but I don't live in L.A. anymore, haven't for years. I'm in Phoenix, AZ, now and there's definately less availability of that kind of thing here, but I'll look into it.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3187 on: January 14, 2011, 07:49:55 AM »

The Black Room (1935) - Boris Karloff plays two roles as brothers; one good, one evil.  The evil one is a Baron who kidnaps his subjects' women for his own purposes, normally killing them when he's done.  After a long absence, the good brother shows up just as the townspeople are about to kill the evil one.  Mr. Evil vows to leave the area and let the good brother be the baron.  Of course they're identical twins, so if the evil brother was to kill the good one and take his place, how long could he maintain the ruse?  Karloff was excellent in this, playing both the perverse murderer and the kind and gentle brother with equal believability.  It was more of a thriller than a horror movie, and wasn't terribly interesting.  A bit predictable.  3.25/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Hammock Rider

« Reply #3188 on: January 14, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »

THE TEACHER: (1974) Angel Tompkins plays a seductive teacher who has an affair with the kid who played Dennis the Menace. Then they both get stalked by a crazed Viet Nam vet. So looks like you've got both your Sex and Violence bases covered.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3189 on: January 15, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »

Virgins From Hell (1987) - an all-girl motorcycle gang gets captured by a mobster and held prisoner, and he does very bad things to them.  This was atrocious - in a very good way  Thumbup  Lots of laughable martial arts fights, like a couple of little kids were fooling around and then they added the "whack!" sound effects to all their punches.  And of course the first take was always good enough.  Really goofy shootouts with ridiculously oversized assault rifles;  people standing around in the open and shooting hundreds of rounds with only the occasional casualty.  During one of the big fight scenes, you can see the actors laughing at the silliness of it all, and even though bullets are flying everywhere, the actors not involved in a fight are standing around calmly.  It wasn't really very interesting because you couldn't take the plot or the characters the least bit seriously, but the brightly colored hot-pants all the girls were wearing pretty much made up for that  TeddyR  4/5.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:46:03 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #3190 on: January 16, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »

Easy A (2010) Blu-ray

Student tells a lie and must face the consequences. Very enjoyable comedy and neat homage to the movies of John Hughes. Great cast as well 4/5

Piranha (2010) Blu-ray

Swarm of Killer-fish interrupt juvenile spring break activities at some lake. Tons of gore and gratuitous boobs. Crowd-pleasing exploitation, loved it. 4.5/5 fun

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3191 on: January 16, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »

ESCANABA IN DA MOONLIGHT (2000): A 42-year old man must bag a buck during this year's deer season or he'll be the oldest male in the history of his family never to have done so; with the help of a potion and porcupine urine supplied by his Native American wife, he goes on a vision quest and finds God as well as a ten pointer.  Set in the upper Michigan peninsula, the movie tries too hard to get laughs out of the local dialect and customs; star/writer/director Jeff Daniels has a ton of ideas, but unfortunately most of them don't work out.  2/5.     

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #3192 on: January 16, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »

The Flesh Eaters was on AMC this past Saturday, early morning around 5 AM.

It's a 1964 film if I remember right, and one the much better-than-average B movies.

A forgotten Nazi scientist living on a remote island has perfected a race of electrical creatures that eat human flesh. And as usual, a group of people wind up stranded on the island and play their part in the evil scheme of Dr. Bartel (Martin Kosleck, who looks particularly evil this tima around.)

Sadly, they cut out the scene where the beatnik is holding his innards in after drinking a glass of whiskey laced with the Flesh Eaters.

Other than that, it was a real treat to see this one again after so many years.  Nice print AMC had, too!

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3193 on: January 16, 2011, 11:33:58 PM »

She (1982) - Sandahl Bergman stars as the medieval queen of some warrior babes in a post-apocalyptic future.  A couple guys wander through their area, and Sandahl takes a shine to one of them, so her and another warrior babe (the equally hot Quin Kessler) follow the guys through the countryside.  First the girls save the guys from some vampires who want to kill them, then the guys save the girls from some other group of baddies.  Then they all fight together yadda yadda yadda.  This started out as a pretty crummy post-apocalyptic movie, with no attention paid to story or character development.  Then halfway through I guess the film makers just said f*** it and made a screwball comedy out of it.  You've got a fat and extremely hairy guy dressed up in a pink ballerina outfit, and then another guy sings the entire theme song to Green Acres.  Although the babes look fairly hot in their skimpy warrior outfits, there's not nearly enough eye candy to keep this thing afloat.  2/5.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3194 on: January 18, 2011, 01:43:30 AM »

Up (2009) Delightful flight of fancy, in more ways than one, has an old man named Carl (voiced by Ed Asner) carrying out an old promise of adventure to his wife Ellie but along the way getting unexpectedly saddled with an awkard accidental stowaway boy scout named Russell (voiced by Jordan Nagai) and Russell's newest friends, a huge exotic bird named "Kevin" and a "talking"  overly friendly dog named Dug. And he also gets to meet his childhood hero Charles F. Muntz (voiced by Christopher Plummer) too only it does quite prove to be all that Carl had hoped.

This was quite a joy, a fanciful escape from reality into a world of imaginative adventure. Rules of plot adherence and everything making full sense need not apply here. Love the ending credits which also suggests all the wonder and adventure awaiting us everyday in the real world too. A fun escape from reality with surprisingly likable characters a sense of retro wonder about the adevnturous world of the past waiting to be discovered by youth as well as the world of adventure today waiting to be well...discovered by youth. ****1/2 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.