Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:32:14 PM
715409 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7760 Members
Latest Member: Amy054617
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2125422 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1635 on: October 24, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »

Werewolf Hunter(Romasanta)~ Based on the story of Manuel Blanco Romasanta, a serial killer in the 1800's who claimed to be a werewolf. It was alright. Its not a good horror movie and its not a good real crime movie either. Its interesting in a way and looks pretty good but I wouldn't watch it again.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1636 on: October 25, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »

I Spit on Your Grave (1978)- If you are in a bad enough mood , watching this movie can be almost like a religous experience.  On the one hand it's about a specific type of crime, on the other it can't help but be a metaphor of sorts though our empathy may be a bit insulting considering the level of our own hardship vs that of the heroine. What are it's social/ political implications?  Civilized people are naive and easy prey for the paganistic tribes of the lower castes. Or is this just the ultimate pulp story of the audience itselfs desire to see the star absolutely degraded than to absolutely degrade those who degrade her like some kind of apolitical but still quasi-feminist hulk Hogan, but this time the arm in the air has an axe?  I don't frickin know. This director does not flinch and is really determined to display savagery which is important.  There is nothing watered down here. If this guy was filming someone being shot,  the first 5 seconds would be the shooting them there would be 5 minutes of watching the guy die, probably all from the same angle.  and it would be good.  So, the brutality of life is laid bare.  Maybe he should have made a story about ww2 to illustrate all this, or a divorce but he didn't and it's no suprise that people have been and were turned off by the combination of dark themes and titillation. It's certainly as far as you can get from "Scream" or other "fun" horror movies.  I never rented this when I was a teenager in the suburbs and I'm kind of glad I didn't. It's very heavy and genuinly disturbing but realistic (maybe a little less so toward then end).  Really, my limited writing ability and education can't do it justice. 5/5
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:06:56 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1637 on: October 26, 2009, 11:00:30 AM »

SPIRITS OF BRUCE LEE (1973): A man goes to Thailand to search for his missing brother.  Undramatic, and at one point it goes about 40 minutes without a fight scene; the spirit of Bruce Lee is very far away.  Also, subtly racist against Thais.  1.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1638 on: October 26, 2009, 03:23:45 PM »

I'm currently watching Attack of the Monsters.  So far, I am not impressed at all by the film, though the bad dubbing is enjoyable.  Smile

I just finished watching Atlantis: The Lost Empire as well.  I'm surprised not many people like it.  The animation is great, the soundtrack is amazing, voice acting is impressive with a good lineup, the story is nice, and it does capture the feel of the times at the certain points.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1639 on: October 27, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »

MST3K Hercules vs the moon men-  Maybe it 's me but this seemed like the most annoying least funny episode ever.  The movie wasn't that bad, that may be the problem.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1640 on: October 28, 2009, 07:28:39 AM »

Kairo (English title:  Pulse) 2001 - Japanese horror movie.  Two solid hours of subtitles  TeddyR  Pretty hard to describe the plot;  some people see ghosts, after which they become very lethargic, and eventually commit suicide.  Their friends worry about them a lot, and try to figure out what the heck is going on.  Meanwhile, another guy tries to log on to the "ur anus" website, but instead gets a bunch of creepy pictures, and the website keeps calling him up.  He meets a girl at the computer lab at school and together they try to figure it out.  Apparently the realm where ghosts exist is full, and they're coming over to our side.  Or maybe they're drawing everyone over to their side?  I ain't got a clue.  People start disappearing and leaving dark marks on the wall.  The acting was pretty good and the characters were interesting.  Pretty much nothing happened for the first 90 minutes, but it finally picked up towards the end and had a fairly good conclusion.  It created and sustained a creepy atmosphere throughout.  I sort of liked it, it was very odd.  3.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1641 on: October 28, 2009, 08:52:15 AM »

Kairo (English title:  Pulse) 2001 - Japanese horror movie.  Two solid hours of subtitles  TeddyR  Pretty hard to describe the plot;  some people see ghosts, after which they become very lethargic, and eventually commit suicide.  Their friends worry about them a lot, and try to figure out what the heck is going on.  Meanwhile, another guy tries to log on to the "ur anus" website, but instead gets a bunch of creepy pictures, and the website keeps calling him up.  He meets a girl at the computer lab at school and together they try to figure it out.  Apparently the realm where ghosts exist is full, and they're coming over to our side.  Or maybe they're drawing everyone over to their side?  I ain't got a clue.  People start disappearing and leaving dark marks on the wall.  The acting was pretty good and the characters were interesting.  Pretty much nothing happened for the first 90 minutes, but it finally picked up towards the end and had a fairly good conclusion.  It created and sustained a creepy atmosphere throughout.  I sort of liked it, it was very odd.  3.5/5.

Dude, I love that move.

But I agree.

I have no idea what's going on. TeddyR I'm sure plenty of stuff happens in the first 90 mins. I just don't know exactly what that stuff it. I think the plot is ghosts have spread into the Internet and they escape the net by coming out of computers. When a ghost and person meet they cancel each other out...well....that's what I read. I might give it another viewing later.

There's a bit where people stick bags over their heads and put tape over the doors of where ghosts have broken through.

Bonkers. I want to watch it again now !
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:56:59 AM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1642 on: October 28, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »

Dude, I love that move.

But I agree.

I have no idea what's going on. TeddyR

Yeah, I guess the fact that you don't what's happening, or why, adds to the suspense and mystery.  It actually worked pretty well.

- Paulo Coelho
Torgo

« Reply #1643 on: October 28, 2009, 10:33:13 AM »

Night of the Creeps   Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Blackenstein    Thumbdown
The Black Godfather   Thumbup
the Monster Squad   Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1644 on: October 28, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »

I finished watching Attack of the Monsters and there was a large amount of so bad that it is funny moments in that film.

Last night, I watched Halloween for the first time on AMC.  It was ok and very suspense, but the movie is just plagued with so many idiots and stupid neighbors (No one is strange or called the police when they heard screaming?)

I also watched The Haunted Mansion.  It is still good as I remember.

In my English class for Halloween, we had finished watching Frankenstien (1931 verison).  It was the first time I saw it and I thought it was rather good for its time.  Some of the grunting and groaning from the monster made my class laugh a bit, but it was still a good and serious movie.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:26:21 PM by InformationGeek » Logged

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1645 on: October 28, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »

Dark Remains- this is one of those indy movies that is indy only by default and is screaming out for a hollywood touch (and wallet) at every turn.  right away the acting was bad and the woman didn't look or act like the little girls mother, they have to TELL you that.  and who's ever heard of an abandoned JAIL?  That's what's in the woods near their cabin, an abandoned jail.  This has some good scares though and is creepy and fun to watch.  I bet most people weer too freaked out by the movie to watch the extra about the actual jail.  So that's an accomplishment.  4/5
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1646 on: October 28, 2009, 06:16:38 PM »

Jeepers Creepers (2001): A brother and sister (Justin Long and Gina Phillips) driving home for spring break along a long, deserted stretch of highway find themselves terrorized by a mysterious stranger driving around in a "souped up" van. When they spot said stranger dumping something that looks a hell of a lot like a body wrapped in a sheet down a pipe, their curiousity is further peaked. Unfortunately so is the stranger's interest in them. There's something not quite right, he's certainly far from ordinary, about this individual.

This was in many ways a well done horror film. It keeps its mystery and suspense building and building throughout and its monster certainly is a unique and original creation, although at times he did remind me just a little of the creatures in MIMIC. This one is also disturbing when one knows of the director's shady past as many of the images are subtly erotic yet shocking and revolting to boot (but then one could also say the same for much of Cronenberg's work). Also the Creeper being something that likes to assimilate its prey, to become one with them so to speak, could also be considered to have a unsettling underlying subtext too. The logic of many of the characters is suspect, especially them returning to the abandoned church but then again, who's to say someone (albeit most likely not the brightest decision by any stretch) might not try and help someone they thought in horrible trouble? In this way, the movie doesn't seem so far removed from its 70s-80s predecessors. In the end, this is a good scary movie and isn't that what a horror film is supposed to achieve? ***1/2 out of *****

Not One Less (1999): A young thirteen year old girl is recruited to act as substitute primary school teacher for a remote Chinese mountain village after the regular teacher Gao has to leave for a month. The girl teacher Wei (Minzhi Wei) is the only person the Mayor could get to take on such an isolated assignment. Teacher Gao hopes to not lose any more students, as many drop out due to the severe poverty of their parents, and so promises young Wei a bonus 10 yuan if there's not one less student upon his return. When young troublemaker Zhang Huike (Huike Zhang) is forced to go to the city to find work to pay off his family's debt, teacher Wei is determined to get to the city, find him and return him to the school. It's a seemingly impossible task but Wei enlists her students' aid to try and find a means and is stubbornly determined to never give up until she achieves her goal.

This is better than any reality television on the airwaves today. It's much more brutally real and honest. The characters are and/or seem like real individuals. It makes for engrossing, even inspiring viewing for those who can appreciate it. Recommended for those who enjoy real slice of life dramas and documentaries. I honestly couldn't take my eyes off of it once I started watching it. I had no clue what it was about before it came on Bravo television. Great stuff. ****1/2 out of *****

Kung Fu Panda (2008): Po is a Panda who dreams of something more than inheriting his father's noodle business and gets a chance to live his dream when he's unexpectedly picked to be the Dragon Warrior, said to be the one being destined to gain the Dragon Scroll, be given great power with which to defend the Jade Kingdom against a terrible threat and thereafter bring about a great era of peace. The only problem is Po (voiced brilliantly by Jack Black) is in actuality a big fat Panda with no real knowledge of Kung Fu or martial arts in general and it seems his choosing may have been in fact an unwanted accident...or was it?

There's very little here that hasn't been done before in either Kung Fu films or 3D animated adventures (not to mention it also seems to borrow quite a bit from Star Wars). While obviously the violence is somewhat toned down here for the kiddies, this one does deliver the goods with some exciting and fun battles. It also has some wonderful moments, the voice work and casting is phenomenal and this is suitable viewing fun for the entire family. But again, it lacks anything really original. The plot seems rather formulaic and there's few if any real surprises here but that isn't necessarily an entirely bad thing. As I also said, this does deliver on its expected goods. It's very enjoyable watching Po find his place in the world, his coming of age...just the grandest, or as Po might say awesome-est, fun! My favourite character though is Master Oogway, who gets most of the film's best Yoda-esque lines such as: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery and the Present is a gift...that's why it's called 'the Present'" and "No, you just need to believe. Promise me, Shifu, promise me you will believe." ***1/2 out of *****
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:21:26 PM by xXx_JaseSF_xXx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1647 on: October 29, 2009, 07:16:39 AM »

Son of Frankenstein (1939) - Frankenstein's son (Basil Rathbone) shows up to take possession of dad's castle.  The townsfolk aren't at all happy about this, and soon enough Frank Jr. starts showing an interest in his father's work.  Turns out the monster (Boris Karloff) is still alive, but he's been in a coma since being hit by lightning.  Ygor (Bela Lugosi) has been taking care of him, and talks Dr. Frankenstein into healing him.  Ygor was hung for stealing body parts, but it just broke his neck.  He's been using the monster to kill off the 8 jurors who convicted him.  Performances were pretty good, especially Basil, who gets increasingly paranoid as the police inspector starts uncovering his plans.  Wasn't especially "scary", in fact it was as much of a drama as a horror movie.  3.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1648 on: October 29, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »

Madhouse (2004) -  this is the opening movie in your double feature.  I am not all that knowledgable about contemporary movies horror included but this was decent.  It had an easy to follow but still not predictable or plot holey style .  It wasn't as scary as Dark remains which I saw the night before and alot of the special effects reminded me of a cheesy nu metal video but it's worth seeing, though I did almost turn it off right away because of the afformentioned cheese. You could probably figure out how it's going to end but I couldn't . I NEVER can 4/5
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1649 on: October 29, 2009, 10:20:16 PM »

Shrek & Shrek 2: I don't know why I just watched them back to back right now.  I guess I just felt like it.  I'm glad I did, both were fun watches, but I should have really watced horror movies instead.  Oh well.

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.