Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:08:03 AM
715134 Posts in 53121 Topics by 7755 Members
Latest Member: Independentbbz
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PLANET OF DINOSAURS (1978) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PLANET OF DINOSAURS (1978)  (Read 1614 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 31, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »

Here's an English-language scif-fi movie that's as cheesy as all those Italian sci-fi flicks that came out after STAR WARS.  And one of the stars is James Whitworth from THE HILLS HAVE EYES!

A small group of space travellers find themselves stranded on a distant planet after their spacecraft crashes and sinks (this opening sequence is very much like the beginning of PLANET OF THE APES).

After some wandering around and bickering, they encounter some stop-motion dinosaurs and spiders.  The stop-motion scenes are actually pretty ambitious and well done considering how cheesy the rest of the movie is.

As bad as this is, it's a fun priece of late-night entertainment.  You'll get plenty of laughs out of the acting, dialogue, and especially the awful uniforms everyone wears (except one guy who spends the entire movie with no shirt on so you can see his pecs).

The DVD has a commentary track (hosted by Fred Olen Ray) and a couple of silent Willis O'Brien stop-motion shorts.

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:21:28 PM »

I have this on an old vhs....and I thought the stop motion was quite good as well. I do believe that Jim Danforth (EQUINOX,WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH,FLESH GORDON et al.) worked on this film as too!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ometiklan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »

I bought the widescreen version SE edition of this one A few years back.
They used the 35mm source for this release of the film and it has never looked better.
Pretty good running commentary on it as well.

Also check out the Rifftrax version of this one if You already have not.
It's quite A hoot!

And when he shall die
Take him and cut him into little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »

Well, there's one scene in the trailer that caught my eye  TeddyR  It's beyond infinity, and in cosmic color as well?  Might have to check it out sometime.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »

I bought the widescreen version SE edition of this one A few years back.
They used the 35mm source for this release of the film and it has never looked better.
Pretty good running commentary on it as well.

This is the version I have.  It's been sitting in my house for over a year and I finally got around to watching it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:06:39 AM »

I used to watch this all the time when they played it on USA Network.  I always loved the guy who tried to steal the eggs and wound up getting impaled on the horn of a Styracosaurus.
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »

That trailer looks great!  I can't believe I haven't seen this movie before!  I also like movies where the title leave you guessing.  Hmmm, "Planet of Dinosaurs" I wonder what that movie is about?
Pilgermann

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:32:59 AM »

I used to watch this all the time when they played it on USA Network.  I always loved the guy who tried to steal the eggs and wound up getting impaled on the horn of a Styracosaurus.

I love that part!  I especially like that he fires a laser at the dinosaur beforehand and misses it by a freakin' mile.

I first saw this wonderful film at a friend's house while it was on in the background as we played chess.  For some reason I think we were drinking whisky, or at least one of my friends was, I dunno, but I was sold on Planet of Dinosaurs from the very start of the show.  It's a well-intentioned film, and as others have pointed out the stop-motion work is very cool, but it's all so goofy.  The music's weird, too.

I have the Goodtimes DVD and I've been wary of the newer one after finind out they "enhanced" the special effects.  I guess I should get it, anyway.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PLANET OF DINOSAURS (1978) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.