Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:31:40 PM
715404 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7760 Members
Latest Member: Amy054617
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Tom Cruise « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: OT: Tom Cruise  (Read 48662 times)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2005, 11:28:53 PM »

Bill Gates being hit with a pie, still the funniest clip on the internet. In a different version of the video, you can actually see the attackers standing around laughing for a solid 6 seconds before anyone has the initiative to restrain them. The people just keep looking around at each other, wondering what the correct course of action is. Thanks for the nostalgic post Susan

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
h.p. Love
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2005, 12:40:07 AM »

Some are saying that Tom is having a mid-life crisis. I say he is having an identity crisis. He doesn't know if he is:

a race car driver
teenage pimp
war veteran
sports agent
secret agent
and now scientist and health advisor

Maybe making WotW was the tipping point. The aliens are coming the aliens are coming!

- This message has been approved by the Order of Conspicuous Merit -
Susan
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2005, 09:13:52 AM »

I just caught the oprah/tom cruise fiasco on tape so here's my two cents. Now that is some scary stuff...way beyond what i imagined. He jumps on the couch like 4 or 5 times, he repeatedly fell to his knees making the "YESSS" gesture with his right arm, usually out of the blue, he practically assaulted oprah about 3 times by shaking her violently (seriously you could tell she was totally shocked and kept trying to get him to focus) She kept saying "Focus tom" and "you're gone" - mostly because he was avoiding alot of questions and would begin a reply like "she's just so amazing and...." then he'd start laughing and laughing

Everytime she asked him a question he would pause and then break out into maniacle laughter and fall over. A simple question such as "how did you meet?" it took him 5 sessions of laughing hysterically and oprah prodding him to answer and he was very VAGUE about it. Of course he was laughing, he was trying to think of a good answer without lying and stalling. Because we all know tom cruise arranges meetings with future girlfriends/wives. He see's them in a movie and has someone set up a meeting, it's all carefully planned i'm sure as he's so intense and intent on getting what he wants that he just picks who his next girlfriend is going to be like thumbing through a magazine. He knows how that looks, he should be embarassed.

Boy it's sad, at the beginning of that show it's like you are watching someone spiralling down to rock bottom, some people don't know exactly when they have peaked - but with him you knew the exact minute.

Clearly he was gone and clearly he couldn't focus. I guess that's what unmedicated people with psychological disorders do.....

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2005, 09:57:05 AM »

The mid-life crisis is probably not far from the mark. What happens when a young star, worshipped by fans, in a totally self-centred existance, comes to the realization that he's going to get old and die? Look at the amount of plastic surgery and weird therapies that Hollywood stars spend their money on. In the midst of all that, they want to  search for some deeper meaning to their existence, and, of course, they view mainstream religions as bad, outdated, corny or perhaps just not different enough. Maybe it doesn't hold the fast and easy answers they want. In their effort to avoid something that's a little hard to accept, they wind up following something that is completely insane. That doesn't apply to all of them of course, but I think it fits Cruise pretty well.

Quite a lot can be chalked up to plain old fear of death, and not just with the current crop of stars. Jackie Gleason took an interest in the occult, for example. The greater your ego, the more your mind will be blown by the thought of a world without you. And today's stars, more than ever, can see that their work is no guarantee of immortality. Names like Cary Grant and Clark Gable still meant something even when we were growing up, but kids today don't even know the stars of 30 years ago. Deep down, Cruise must know that in his lifetime, he could well see a generation of kids who will say "Tom who?" when their grandparents talk about the movies of their generation. In a century, he'll be as dead and forgotten as any ordinary guy. Bet it bothers the hell out of him.

There is quite a lot to drive stars out of their minds, actually. Just try and justify their privileged existence with the strong belief in social justice many of them hold, and you'd go crazy too. Lot of hypocrisy in Hollywood, and I'm sure it takes its toll.

Just thinking of my one experience with Scientologists. Back when I was 18 or 19, a buddy and I went into the city to hang out on the main drag (see a movie, go to the arcade, watch the hot cars cruise up and down). However, there was a local office of the Church of Scientology on the upper floor of one of the old stores down there, and they had somebody out front, offering free personality and IQ tests to teenagers and other vulnerable people. Bastards. Anyway, we went up and took the test (basically a multiple-choice, yes-no sort of affair), and put down whatever answers would make us look like the meanest, most cold-hearted psychos in the world. Funny, listening to this guy tell me what a cruel individual I am, but even funnier listening to the number of personality flaws that Scientology can help. I have a feeling I would have gotten the same shpiel if I'd fudged the answers to look especially kind and generous.

Post Edited (06-26-05 16:15)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2005, 10:27:27 AM »

There was a Church of Scientology in the town next to where I live. I moved here in '97 and every time I passed that place, I never saw anyone going in, coming out, or any activity at all. I often wanted to stop in there just to see what was going on but I figured I may not be released if I got inside. Anyway, in 8 years of passing that place that I never saw anything going on, I needed to wonder exactly what it was doing here. Did it even have any members? Did anyone around here actually believe that crap? Well, in the end, they must not have been doing all too well because the place was sold a few months ago and has now become a kitchenwares store...perhaps it's a Scientologist kitchenwares store.

Tom Cruise is a freak and I'm so sick of reading about him and seeing his antics every time I read news. I will see WotW but I'm coming close to not seeing it just because of him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
h.p. Love
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2005, 12:38:18 PM »

Good points there AndyC. I didn't think before how someone could think that they are so different that traditional religions or philosophies couldn't possibly help them make sense of their own reality.

Since people paid and often worshipped for pretending to be other people could very well and understandably start to feel confused. Their situation doesn't make sense in the reality of regular people. So sure, maybe their situation makes more sense to them by thinking in terms of other planets and aliens.

A self-help organization that promises enlightenment through special knowledge aquired in part by financial reqirements would be right up the alley for a confused aging teen idol with millions to burn. It's an us vs. them philosophy as far as I can tell. Tom thinks he knows more than others simply based on the fact that he studies scientology. He dismisses any real facts as false if they don't fit well into his delusion.

Anyway, I just saw that more of the Today show interview is being heavily hyped to air this week. This is all very entertaining.

Wence
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2005, 02:00:59 PM »

Saw this "TomCruise-kills-Oprah"-Thing... sick!!!
Can anyone tell me why the hell Cruise is wrestling this woman?
I canĀ“t find a complete video-download of this interview - ideas?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Scontri stellari oltre la terza dimensione"
h.p. Love
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2005, 02:15:40 PM »

Susan said:

"Clearly he was gone and clearly he couldn't focus. I guess that's what unmedicated people with psychological disorders do....."

There's a theory I haven't really heard before. Even though scientology from I've heard, refuses those that have received prior medication for a mental diognosis, maybe Tom was receiving pharmaceutical care. Stopping something for prescribed for manic/depressive disorders would explain the super-hyper mania we're seeing now.

What a contrast to the way Travolta comes across, slightly condescending and dumb. Tom is a madman. I sort of feel bad that he probably doesn't know what he's doing and he's doing it all in front of cameras.

I'm getting a little uncomfortable watching it now. Someone needs to help this guy. I hate to say it but: Save Katie From Tom and also Save Tom From Tom.

h.p. Love
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »

It seems Tom has a good work reputation and I would assume so based on his career. But he is making himself a huge liability that at some point will outweigh his box office bankability.

If I was his publicist, I'd move to get him sympathetic press by getting him into a facility or therapy fast. Followed by a book and a fluffy little interview with katy curic.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2005, 03:01:05 PM »

There is also a Church of Scientology about a mile from where I live.
There's a laundromat right behind it that I used to do laundry at.

It's actual title is "Church of Christ Scientist."
I'm assuming that it's a Scientology church because of the name.

I remember sitting in my car waiting for my clothes to wash/dry and staring at that place.
I never saw any activity around that place at all.
Matter of fact I also can't recall ever seeing a single person go in or out of there.
Maybe they beam in & out.

It's actually a really nice looking building.  The grass is always mowed and the flowers planted around it look well maintained so someone must be there.
I too have always had an urge to go inside.

Post Edited (06-26-05 15:09)
peter johnson

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2005, 03:43:09 PM »

No, no -- "Church of Christ, Scientist" is Christian Science/Mary Baker Eddy stuff.  They at least believe in Jesus of a sort, but defer to the book "Health and Science, With a Key to Scripture", by Mary Baker Eddy,  as their guidebook.  It makes interesting reading, in a barely-coherent/schizo-affective glossolalia sort of way.  Christian Scientists try to shun doctors and believe that poor health of any kind can and should be ultimately cured by prayer alone.  They have special "prayer warriors" called Christian Science Practitioners who are "authorized" to pray over the really sick ones.  
They also have very nice Reading Rooms and an excellent newspaper, "The Christian Science Monitor".
Just a mixed bag of regular folk & screwy philosophy -- Definitely no cult, but you have to take a pretty hefty leap of Faith to get on board.  My theory is that most Christian Scientists are raised that way, and that their conversion numbers are pretty low.
Scientology, on the other hand, will come after you with kidnappers and men with guns if you try to quit.  They will pursue and harrass your family, your friends, and people who know you.  They will try to discredit your reputation, plant false news stories about you, and try to make your life pure hell.  Boulder has a number of former Scientologists, some of who live under assumed names.  I've met and spoken with several, and the stories they tell are astonishing & consistent.  I was present when one of my neighbors had the local Sheriff's Dept. come and forcibly take away his computer at the behest of local Scientologists because he was posting information about what Scientologists really believe -- they tried to get him on "copywright violations" infractions.
The Scientology leadership is dangerous and potentially violent.  L. Ron Hubbard preached against ever "turning the other cheek", and advocated going after anyone who "slandered" the Church hammer & tongs.  They give a nominal nod to Jesus & mainstream Christianity in order to attract members, but once inside you find out pretty quick that they don't advocate anything resembling any sort of Chirstian belief, and have no actual respect for Christianity or any other Faith that isn't Scientology.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
h.p. Love
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2005, 04:04:39 PM »

Maybe these buildings of inactivity are in the comunities for tax schemes and to receive payments localy from members in the area. Maybe actual lessons take place at another location.  

Are there actually scientologist "services".

Susan
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2005, 04:25:23 PM »

Ash - not the same. scientologists have nothing to do with jesus, it's more of a cult than a religion. Actually i know little about it..i still remember in the 80s when i was watching tv on the weekend or home sick i'd see all these commercials for "l. Ron Hubbards Dianetics" and a giant book flying towards the screen with some fire

wence - no idea where a video of that is, i'm sure you could try googling it as there might be a snippet somewhere.  He was really flinging her around, toward the end of the interview her body language said it all. She was scooted as far in her chair away from him as possible and had her legs crossed away from him..everytime he got up and came toward her to shake her she cringed. All i kept thinking was he found the perfect woman. she's young, clearly impressionable and will probably take up scientology AND she said when she was a kid she wanted to marry tom cruise. What a stroke to the ego..he said he couldn't disappoint her. When i saw a publicity shot of him holding child star Dakota Fanning in his arms i kept thinking "there's his next wife"
This is a great article

maybe he needs an exorcism! Someone should should put that in the script for the next exorcist movie ;-)

Post Edited (06-26-05 16:44)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2005, 04:42:23 PM »

Thanks for the info.
Because of the name I figured it was a Scientology church....apparently not.

Whenever I think of the name "Christ Scientist" I picture Jesus in a white lab coat performing experiments with beakers full of unknown bubbling liquids.

Post Edited (06-26-05 16:43)
h.p. Love
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2005, 05:31:16 PM »

Susan,

I remember the commercial well too even though I was relatively young. Why do I remember it so well? It's creepy to think about how well I do.

*different voice-overs*
"How can I improve my career?" pg. 146
"How can I take charge of my diet?" pg. 56
(exploding volcano)
*deep male voice*
"Dianetics...by L...Ron...Hubbard

I don't trust that commercial.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Tom Cruise « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.