Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:03:37 PM
714965 Posts in 53115 Topics by 7751 Members
Latest Member: ilovemyself2oo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dreamcatcher - why isn't it listed? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dreamcatcher - why isn't it listed?  (Read 2618 times)
Godsakes
« on: March 17, 2007, 08:45:10 PM »

THIS ADDED BY ANDREW:  **SPOILERS AHEAD**

Dreamcatcher has got to be my personal biggest waste of a cinema ticket

Plot:
bunch of 4 guys meet annually in the country to celebrate their special bond as they we're given psychic powers by a bullied handicapped child many years ago....

ill stranger (with bad flatulence) turns up and it soon turns out he was infested with an alien slug which he shat it out (killing him in the process and creating a terrible mess)

turns out these arse ripping slugs were merely pets of greater aliens (who also have psychic powers and happen to want to take over world) one of which kinda turns into a cloud of dust and takes over the body of one of the group members (who from there on talks in a British accent)

(still with me good...)

it turns out the military are aware of the aliens and are trying to secure the area - at one point they manage to destroy a saucer. 

meanwhile the evil brit alien then decides to head off to a water reservoir to infect us all with pet arse slugs (why they didn't fly over the reservoir with their saucer is another thing)

anyway just as it looks like the brit alien is about to his evil deed the handicapped child makes a return - and as luck would have it he turns out to be a shape shifting alien and sacrifices himself to save all our arses (literally).

we've all seen bad films with some kind of redeeming element but no not this one... you sit in your seat quickly realising you're on a sinking ship (i really should have walked out when a character got his dick bitten by one of the arse slugs while he was p**sing outside) and though you wrestle with the idea of baling out you decide to hold on hoping one of the film's many sub-plots may bare something worthwhile but each one drags you further into the abyss.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:41:09 PM by Andrew » Logged
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 09:10:03 PM »

You should put the word "SPOILERS" in your thread since you gave away the ending.

I read the book before I watched the film and there were parts of it that I loved and parts that I hated.
Matter of fact, I had no idea they were making it into a film and learned of it while I was on the last chapter of the book.
So naturally, I was pumped to see it.
The film was so-so.

If they had made the film like the book, it would've been at least 4 hours long. (the book is almost 700 pages)
What really blew me away was the fact that Stephen King wrote the entire first draft with a fountain pen.

Any scene in the book or the movie with Duddits was particularly annoying even though he's essential to the story.
I couldn't stand his character.

SPOILERS!!!

In the book, Duddits isn't an alien...he's just a retarded guy who gave them powers.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:31:20 AM by Ash » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »

It usually comes down to "So many movies and so little time" for me.  Plus, I tend to not worry about movies that get a lot of attention from mainstream critics.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 08:25:44 AM »

This film was a huge disappointment for me when I first saw it.  I came in expecting to cringe and jump all the way through what looked so awesome in the trailers...instead I got a bunch of fart gags, and crappy CGI monsters that looked like a cross between "Alien"s chestburster, and an over-clubbed baby seal. 

I'll never forget the name that was given to them...the "s**t weasels"!  How can you take such an awesome name as "s**t weasels" and attach it to something so lame and derivative? It's a crime, I tells ya!  TeddyR
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:41:08 PM »

I'm a fan of Stephen King's work and I really enjoyed reading Dreamcatcher, the movie not so much, it's very difficult to make a movie from a book and have it be equal to what you see while you're reading. Dreamcatcher is a prime example of this.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
peter johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:47:23 AM »

I guess I'm much more forgiving than most --
I enjoyed BOTH book and movie.
I think I have managed to develop a very fine sense of "book will not be movie" in myself, and tend to try to enjoy things on their own terms --
I liked both book and movie for different reasons.  Yes, once you realise that the movie will be dropping certain aspects of the book, you simply try to experience the cinematica in and of itelf.
Remember:  There are no "Warg Riders" in Tolkein's "Lord of The Rings", yet there they are in Peter Jackson's film.
Different Creatures/Different Features
love
peter j./denny c.

I have no idea what this means.
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:13:56 AM »

i dug dreamcatcher, was it a cinematic piece of art? no. was it a pretty decent way to kill some time? yes.

"pary's ova ista gay"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 08:22:02 AM »

I sort of liked the movie.  It had a lot of beautiful winter scenery, the plot kept me interested through the first half, and really the second half wasn't that bad.  The gore effects were pretty gross and fairly effective. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »

It was a bit over the top in terms of gross factor but I went into with low expectations and rather enjoyed it for most of its running time. The winter scenery definitely helped.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 05:03:21 PM »

The film version of Dreamcatcher equals the world's longest cinematic fart joke.   Lookingup

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
biff_debris
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 06:51:20 PM »

I liked Dreamcatcher (although I have yet to read the book), but it just felt like a great deal of it was being skimmed over, like it was a miniseries and some parts got lopped off or something. It was really uneven, even though I enjoyed the characters and setting.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dreamcatcher - why isn't it listed? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.