Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:15:46 PM
715188 Posts in 53125 Topics by 7755 Members
Latest Member: Independentbbz
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Smelling like a rose. The power of Cushing. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Smelling like a rose. The power of Cushing.  (Read 906 times)
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 03, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »

I was thinking last night...how many actors are so good and professional...no matter what they are in, they can't be blaimed for the cheese fondue that the scrip, direction, and other actors may be cooking?
Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are two perfect examples. Pros all the way.
I'd add Richard, Jakel, Ernie Borgnine and Anthony Zerbe to that list. Jackel and Borgnine were good in "The dirty dozen", so we know what the can do with good material.
Any others?

Post Edited (03-03-04 10:15)

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 11:38:36 AM »

I'd have to add Christopher Plummer, who managed to turn in the only good performance in Star Crash. Can't say I've ever seen him give anything but his best. Hard to believe he comes from the same theatrical background as Bill Shatner.

Donald Pleasance would be another. Whether he's doing The Great Escape or Warrior of the Lost World, he's good. Of course, everyone looks like a good actor next to Persis Khambatta.

Post Edited (03-03-04 10:40)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 11:48:23 AM »

Basil Rathbone.
I just saw him in The Magic Sword, a 1960s B-movie all the way, with by now laughable special effects, a silly story (young apprentice magician goes off to save a princess he's never met), and absurd characters -- siamese twins as comic relief and Vampira(!) as the the apprentices's foster mom.

Basil is great as the evil magician, far and away better than the movie.
Bgrade
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 07:45:26 PM »

Not quite the same thing.  But for some reason I've always liked Kris Kristofferson.  He always seems to stand above the movies he is in.  Of course if you ever put him in a real movie he would suck rocks.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 01:33:31 PM »

I'd defnitiely have to agree with you on those Brit actors. Cushing took a poverty row produced movie like Shockwaves and played it straight-faced, i can't think of many actors nowadays who could do that.

as for my own recommendations Harvey Keitel was the first actor that popped in my mind. Chicks think he's ugly so you know he's a good actor.
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 01:36:54 PM »

Yeah, Forgot Basil! And he could swing a mean sword, too.
How about James Mason? More proof of the power of Brit Wit.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Smelling like a rose. The power of Cushing. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.