Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:21:52 AM
714829 Posts in 53108 Topics by 7750 Members
Latest Member: Josette
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Where Are You From? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Where Are You From?  (Read 7194 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 19, 2002, 12:31:38 PM »

While we're on the topics of your age and why you have your screen name set the way you do, I figure I'd intrude a little more and ask where everybody is from?

What country are you from?

If you're in the U.S., (I think the great majority of us here are)
what state do you hail from?

I'm from Iowa.  
U.S.A.
Born & raised.
No, I don't live on a farm.

I have an additional question for you.
Can you tell a positive story or something specific that happened to you that could've ONLY happed to a person if they lived in THE STATE OR COUNTRY that you live in?
It would add a little spice to your thread.

I'll give you an example:
I went with my girlfriend to the "Field of Dreams" movie site in Dyersville, Iowa.
It's a little over an hour's drive from where I live.

It has been kept EXACTLY as it was in the film.

The house.
The bleachers.
The surrounding cornfield.
Everything.

I tell you this.
There's nothing more joyous than stepping onto that field and up to that plate and batting that ball far out into that field!!
Especially if you've watched the film beforehand.

Just like in the movie, if you look hard enough, you can envision the players emerging from the rows of corn.

That, my friends, is something you should not pass up if you come to Iowa.

It is truly a magical experience!

I've also been listening to alot of Buddy Holly lately.
I've been itching to go up to Clear Lake, Iowa (about 2 hours drive from me) to the Surf Ballroom.
It was the last place he played with the Big Bopper & Ritchie Valance before they were killed in that plane crash so long ago.  

They still have shows there.

If they ever have a 50's reunion show there, count me in!!

Nemo2342
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 12:42:35 PM »

Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 12:44:58 PM »

I'd be careful...I think ASH... is putting together profiles on all the regular board members...

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Nemo2342
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 12:54:24 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:
>
> I'd be careful...I think ASH... is putting together profiles
> on all the regular board members...

That's fine, I'm not a regular board member anyway ;)
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 12:55:07 PM »

He's writing a book.  The Life and Times of a B-Movie Addict.

I'm from Utah.  Me and Nathan Shumate are co-statriots.

Lots of movies have been filmed in Utah.  I drive by Saltair, the site of the "carnival" in CARNIVAL OF SOULS every day on my way to work.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 01:07:36 PM »

FWIW - I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.A

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Ash

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 01:08:49 PM »

No, I'm not putting together profiles of everyone here Freep.

Did you smoke some good s**t before you made that post?
Feeling a little"paranoid"?

LOL!!!  
Just kidding.

Even though we here on this phorum communicate electronically,
there is still that HUMAN element.

We all know that the words we read on here are physically typed out by a real live flesh & blood person.

Just as I pointed out that when we meet someone we wonder how old they are, we also wonder where they are from.

I do at least and I know I'm not alone.

Where a person is from can possibly tell you a great deal about what kind of an individual they are and what morals and values they were raised with.  (not all though)

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2002, 01:09:11 PM »

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. It's a city about 50 miles west of Toronto. Actually, I grew up in a little town north of Waterloo, called Elmira, but I just bought a house in the city.

Hmmm....a story. Could possibly relate a funny experience with Mennonites. They're quite numerous around here.

Better yet, the claim to fame of my home town is that it is recognized by Guinness as having the largest one-day maple syrup festival in the world. I believe about 80,000 people showed up the year they did the count.

This year, I brought my girlfriend to the festival, which was in early April. She'd never been to it before. I had to work, which mainly consisted of snapping pictures of people browsing, eating, etc. While I did this, she carried my extra lenses, all the while jokingly asking what sort of payment she was going to get. I just said "we'll see," which puzzled her.

At the end of the day, when we returned to the car, I made a point of asking for my lenses. She naturally countered with "what are you going to give me for lugging these around."

It was then that I reached into my pocket and pulled out the diamond engagement ring I'd been carrying around all day. You could have knocked her over with a feather.

I was planning to pop the question on a hay ride or a sugar bush tour, but the thing with the lenses offered such a perfect opportunity.

And that's my magical story of the Maple Syrup Festival.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2002, 01:12:44 PM »

Concord, CA - I have lived my entire life in the San Francisco Bay Area and really don't want to love anywhere else.  It's kind of what Maine is to Stephen King.  :-)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2002, 01:16:27 PM »

Just thought I should mention a couple of movie connections from my area. For me, the only redeeming quality of Trapped in Paradise is that it uses a covered bridge a few minutes east of Elmira in West Montrose. The main street of Paradise is actually a village north of there, called Elora. Elora has been used in a few movies, including An American Christmas Carol.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2002, 01:18:54 PM »

Funny you should mention Maine.....that's me!

He's my story too, I go to the university he went to, and have met him on several occasions, sometimes formally, sometimes shopping....He has a haunted house every year that RULES

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Ash

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2002, 01:32:33 PM »

According to his website, he DOES NOT have a haunted house.  

Go here to his official website to learn THE TRUTH.

Look at the very last post when you view it.

http://www.stephenking.com/rumors.html?#haunted

Neville

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2002, 01:38:11 PM »

As I have mentioned before, I am from Spain. To be exact, from Lleida, that's in the north-east corner, not too far from Barcelona, were the '92 olympics took place and even closer to a few of the best ski places on the Pirinees. Always lived here, except my early, early chilhood, which I spent living with my grandparents in a nearby village.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2002, 01:45:33 PM »

Another Canadian here - in Niagara - about an hour and a half south of Toronto (you have to go around the lake)  We're actually about 35 minutes from Buffalo, NY - but I offer that simply as a reference point for you yanks.

I am a horse trainer with my own farm.   I have given a couple of kids the crash-course (oops - poor choice of words?) on horseback riding to prepare them for TV  roles.   And they just filmed (August?) some scenes for a Whoopi Goldberg/Danny Glover film at my local feedstore.  Too wierd - it was standing in for the rural south.  

And Andy C: I have been to Elmira and Elora - gorgeous country up there.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2002, 03:00:18 PM »

Maybe she was pulling our collective chains, or maybe she was talking about Rick Hautala. Maine's OTHER horror writer.

hehehehehehehe

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Where Are You From? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.