Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:11:14 PM
715397 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7760 Members
Latest Member: Amy054617
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Chariots of the Gods (1970) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chariots of the Gods (1970)  (Read 2582 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »

Small | Large

No even the most gullible conspiracy theorist could possibly believe ALL the assertations here about aliens visiting the ancient world, but this is still an awesome and cool "documentary". The imagery and the music are great and combined with the kooky concept it's a fun ride.

The idea is simple: when primitive tribes see airplanes they think they are gods and make airplane statuettes and so forth. So did alien astronauts visit the ancient world and influence various of the great works we know from it? We visit Iraq, Turkey, Egypt , Easter Island, Mayan ruins and other cool exotic places as some guy compares all the ancient painted and sculpted figures we see to modern astronauts or aliens. The music, available on soundtrack which I would love to get, is interstellar "thus spake zarathustra" type orchestra stuff, weird psychedelia and avant garde ish minimalist things. The photography is straightforward but also creative and beautiful in places.

Some of the ideas are very intiquing. How were the pyramids built? How did they manage to drag all those stones so far. AS far as I know they still haven't figured that one out or maybe they had, they hadn't when I was in college (most of the 90's).  I could mumble something about a pulley system or somehting but really I don't have a better explanation than a spaceship or some higher life form helping them somehow, plus I like thinking aliens came to Earth.

Unfortunately about halfway through things get both repetitive the more ridiculous stuff starts to add up. Come on, Easter island is an alien homage? There is stuff from the bible like the destruction of sodom and Gomorah was some kind of nuclear accident and the ark of the covenent was a loudspeaker for aliens or something.  You could do it yourself: Stonehenge is aliens playing dominoes, the Grand canyon is where a fat alien fell. and it's just the same thing again and again and again.

This was a best selling book and the author Erich von Däniken has sold a ton of books all with this same central thesis of alien astronauts visiting the ancient world. There is even some sort of theme park that he made. His latest book is called "History is Wrong"

I'd like to give this a 5 but it deserves at best 4.25/5 because it is like listening to a lunatic spin a tale and some people might find that less entertaining than I do.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:25:20 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:36 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF62mL1swGM

No even the most gullible conspiracy theorist could possibly believe ALL the assertations here about aliens visiting the ancient world, but this is still an awesome and cool "documentary". The imagery and the music are great and combined with the kooky concept it's a fun ride.

When primitive tribes see airplanes they think they are gods and make airplane statuettes and so forth. So did alien astronauts visit the ancient world and influence various of the great works we know from it? We visit Iraq, Turkey, Egypt , Easter Island, Mayan ruins and other cool exotic places as some guy compares all the ancient painted and sculpted figures we see to modern astronauts or aliens. On more solid ground than the ...unorthodox claims are the intersteller "thus spoke zarathustra" type orchestration and weird psychedelia and minimalism of the soundtrack which I would love to get. The photography is straightforward but also creative and beautiful in places.

Some of the ideas are very intiquing. How were the pyramids built? How did they manage to drag all those stones so far. AS far as I know they still haven't figured that one out or maybe they had, they hadn't when I was in college (most of the 90's).  I could mumble something about a pulley system or somehting but really I don't have a better explanation than a spaceship or some higher life form helping them somehow, plus I like thinking aliens came to Earth.

Unfortunately about halfway through things get both repetitive the more ridiculous stuff starts to add up. Come on, Easter island is an alien homage? There is stuff from the bible like the destruction of sodom and Gomorah was some kind of nuclear accident and the ark of the covenent was a loudspeaker for aliens or something.  You could do it yourself: Stonehenge is aliens playing dominoes, the Grand canyon is where a fat alien fell. and it's just the same thing again and again and again.

This was a best selling book and the author Erich von Däniken has sold a ton of books all with this same central thesis of alien astronauts visiting the ancient world. There is even some sort of theme park that he made. His latest book is called "History is Wrong"

I'd like to give this a 5 but it deserves at best 4.25/5 because it is like listening to a lunatic spin a tale and some people might find that less entertaining than I do.

I vaguely remember seeing part of this documentary years ago. I agree. Some interesting stuff, but largely it's a film that wants very much to believe. Personally, I'm open to paranormal possibilities, I just skeptical of people, part of the reason I'm a deist and resistant to religion.

If you're a Kurt Vonnegut fan you should read one of his early novels, The Sirens of Titan. I enjoyed his purely fictional and satirical take on the influence of alien intelligence on the affairs of ancient humanity.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »

This was a HUGE theatrical hit when I was a kid.  I never saw it in the theater but I remember seeing long lines of people who were trying to get into sold-out performances.  I ended up catching it on TV during the 1970s and I thought it was dull.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Chariots of the Gods (1970) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.