Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:40:44 PM
714962 Posts in 53115 Topics by 7751 Members
Latest Member: ilovemyself2oo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Speaking of remakes....Creepshow « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Speaking of remakes....Creepshow  (Read 1252 times)
Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 21, 2005, 01:41:33 AM »

Just saw this.  Find it interesting that they are going to remake an anthology.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=11654

What does everbody think?

Post Edited (10-26-05 04:05)

I bent my wookie!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 09:18:40 AM »

I'm really wondering if the intention is to necessarily remake it or just to produce an all-new Creepshow. I mean, if they want to interconnect the stories (which sounds like they don't really get what anthologies are all about), they're going to have a tough job with the diverse collection in the original Creepshow. That was the beauty of it - they were all connected by being in the same comic book. Nothing else was needed.

I wouldn't mind seeing another Creepshow, with new stories, but remaking the original just strikes me as unnecessary, perhaps even more so than some of the other recent remakes. I watch Creepshow about once a year, and there isn't a thing wrong with it. And I really question the direction they want to take it, with intertwined stories and common characters.

There's a part of me that's intrigued, of course. I mean, if a decent filmmaker attempted a reinterpretation of this sort, the results could be interesting. Realistically, however, this will most likely be a travesty. The old-fashioned kids' spook story feel will be gone, to be replaced by something more "sophisticated" for "today's audience." It's going to be cheesy, commercialized crap, stripped of all its charm and cleverness (no doubt to be replaced by more "hip" humour), and starring a bunch of cute, baby-faced WB types or crappy  professional celebrities who can't act. It always baffles me when this is done. I mean, it's obviously going to p**s off the people for whom the Creepshow title actually means something. The people who are going to like it have probably never heard of Creepshow, and the end result is going to be so heavily reworked as to barely resemble Creepshow, so why even use it?

Besides, people are getting wise to the whole remake thing. Even if it turns out to be good, I bet people are going to steer clear of it. A proven title is not enough. Years of bad remakes have killed that golden goose.

Post Edited (10-21-05 09:23)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 08:13:25 PM »

After seeing both films I can honestly say I don't liek the creepshopw movies, they were a waste of Stephen King, Tom Savini and of course George Romero.

They weren't all that well written, scary, or entertaining(the second creepshow film especially) I do wish that the short stories had more depth and character to them...Though i will admit the Leslie neilson and Ted Danson segment was very very cute...I dont know, I think they could have been handled better storywise. But thats just my opinion, the cheese they came with was very nice :)

save the world, kill a politician or two.
PSlugworth
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 09:19:58 PM »

I didn't like Creepshow (never saw the second one) because it was obviously drawing on the old EC comics, but seemed to miss the point of them entirely.

In the EC Comics, generally the plot ended with death being dealt in an ironic way  to someone who genuinely deserved it.  Creepshow just seemed mean spirited, most of the time, killing off innocent (and even borderline-retarded!) people more for the shock and gore than any really significant reason.  It just made the whole thing more disturbing than entertaining for me, considering I'm a pretty big fan of the original EC stuff.  The humor and heart (in a word) was lacking by comparison, for the most part.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

The first segment (I think) where the father returns from the grave, for example, could have taken the ironic turn, but we never really saw any of the characters really RELISHING in the man's death, and some of them didn't seem to feel one way or the other about it, making his actions kind of sad and meaningless.

In the other segment, the janitor being killed by the thing in the crate seemed kind of pointless.  He was just an ancillary character that had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  The monster killing the man's wife, on the other hand -- that was worthwhile!

I'll admit, the Howard Hughes-like story was fairly well done, and the segment with Leslie Nielsen and Ted Danson was okay, too (although I was a little confused as to what exactly was going on at the time... was somebody cheating on someone else?  Maybe I'd just lost interest, but I remember not knowing why one was killing the other).  I kind of liked that one, though it, too, seemed to suffer from a lack of ironic humor.  It had ironic death, it had humor (the last "I can hold my breath for a looooong time!" is a line which still comes up abitrarily in my conversations from time to time), but they just didn't seem to come together.

END POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Anyway, I could go on and on about this, but I'll just cut myself off here, for fear of everyone skipping over my post!

Official Member of the Don Knotts Fan Club.
andrew sylvester dot com
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 01:50:54 AM »

I quit being a fan of Stephen King years ago, his stuff did nothing for me.  Nonetheless I watched Creepshow with some high expectations because of the Savini-Romero connection.  I was still disappointed overall.
This is just another example of Hollywood's lack of original ideas.  I will most likely skip it.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 12:37:52 PM »

As I understand it, they  are  not going to remake any of the stories from the previous two, but do five new stories. I'll probably see it, as I like horror anthologies, and I've seen the previous two on television.

Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 09:21:51 AM »

That doesn't sound like a remake then...sounds like a sequel.

I bent my wookie!
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 09:28:39 AM »

They're doing new stories and NOT remaking the original film.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 11:37:08 AM »

I was just going by what it said in the article.  It's "getting the remake treatment".

I bent my wookie!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Speaking of remakes....Creepshow « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.