Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 12:47:35 PM
715317 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7757 Members
Latest Member: Nataliyphymn
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2124187 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3225 on: January 27, 2011, 10:09:56 AM »

GENERAL SPANKY (1936)

An orphaned bootblack (Spanky) befriends an abandoned slave (Buckwheat) on a Mississippi river boat. After thwarting an evil card shark (Irving Pichel) they fall overboard and wind up on the plantation of kindly planter Marsh (Phillip Holmes).

After discussing the matter with Spanky, Marsh reluctantly agrees to join his friends in the upcoming war with the North. Buckwheat finds happiness living with Marsh's slaves (Louise Beavers and Willie "Stepin Fetchit" Best).

Spanky and Buchwheat team up with other local children (Alfalfa, et al.) to form their own army to fight the invading Yankees. The Yankees are lead by a kindly general (Frank Morgan) and his evil Captain (Irving Pichel again! Uh oh!). Pichel hs eyes for Marsh's Southern Belle girlfriend (Rosina Laurence)

An injured Marsh is captured by the Yankees and Pichel sentences him to death. Can Spanky and the Gang save him?!?

Alfalfa, Buckwheat and Spanky save the Old South

Hal Roach had great success moving Laurel and Hardy from shorts to feature films, so why not his Our Gang series? This is the only Our Gang aka The Little Rascals feature, and setting it in the Old South during the Civil War was a huge mistake.  Not only is the focus off the truly talented kids, but the setting makes it ripe for some truly awful racial content.

Films from this era usually have to be taken with a big grain of salt when it comes to racial issues, but a whole ocean of salt wouldn't make the content of this go down any easier. Watching the 'heartfelt' scene of Buckwheat going from fat old redneck to the next begging "Is you my master?" will literally make you ill and pretty much sums it up.

Too bad, since Roach's shorts were often pretty progressive for the time (well, and often not, too) when it came to racial content.

For some reason Alfalfa is missing his trademark cowlick and other than Spanky, Buckwheat, and Alfalfa none of the usual Little Rascal appear. The other kids are a bunch of non-Rascal imposters! Even Pete has been replaced with a more traditional Hollywood-type dog.

For Hal Roach and Little Rascals completist only.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3226 on: January 27, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »

The Warriors (1979): It's been a very long time since I've seen this classic. NetFlix rules. I love this film. It is a movie that is incredibly awesome despite it's flaws. It's got plenty of cheese, but also has some very cool artistic elements. Just the whole aspect of themed gangs in late 70's New York, complete with costumes, is worth the price of admission alone. It takes the concept of inner-city gangs and adds an element of fantasy and mythos that is, in my opinion, it's strongest element. Very silly at times, too. What struck me in watching it so many years later was the ambition of the film. The production is pretty epic for a b-movie.

4.5/5

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pilgermann

« Reply #3227 on: January 27, 2011, 03:36:50 PM »

Lemon Grove Kids Meet the Monsters - Ray Dennis Steckler's got a reputation for making horrible movies, but so far I've really enjoyed the ones I've seen (well, Rat Pfink a Boo Boo was kind of dull).  They're really unique creations.  This one's actually three short films originally meant to be shown as part of a kidde matinee program, but they're fun and pretty doggone weird.  I'm not familiar with the Bowery Boys or East Side Kids but I understand that the Lemon Grove Kids are inspired by those films, but the Lemon Grove Kids are a mix of childish adults and actual little kids (a couple of which are Steckler's daughters).  The second adventure is the weirdest with an alien vampire and grasshopper-man kidnapping people.  Oh, and two of the stories feature Coleman Francis in a prominant role.  I'd say check this out along with The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies?! and The Thrill Killers for some more homegrown Steckler weirdness.

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe - Finally got around to seeing this after wanting to for years and it doesn't disappoint.  The story's pretty normal kaiju territory with a touch of E.T. thrown in, but it's very fun.  Some of the optical effects are cruddy, but the monster suits are cool and the miniature construction is amazing!

claws
« Reply #3228 on: January 28, 2011, 01:23:10 AM »

The Omen (2006) Blu-ray

I always thought this remake was entertaining and decent enough. Sure, it can't hold a candle against the original but hey, there are far more worse remakes out there.
Mia Farrow steals the show in my opinion - best smart casting choice ever. Had its breathtaking HD moments on Blu. 4/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3229 on: January 28, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) - This starts out like one of Ewe Boll's wet dreams - tons of bullet time, slo-mo camera pans, fake Kung Fu wire work, more bullet time   Lookingup  It's a parody of The Matrix basically.  Alice (Milla Jovovich) breaks into Umbrella Co.'s Tokyo headquarters and kills several hundred guys, all of whom are shooting at her with assault rifles, but of course she's got bullet-time abilities and...sigh.  Should I turn it off now?

But I persevered, and happily after this nonsense was over they gave us a story and some characters.  Alice is flying her airplane around over the zombie infested world, and finally finds some people who have taken refuge in a huge prison, surrounded by thousands of zombies.  Nearby there's a large ship that's broadcasting a message promising safety, but there's the little problem with the zombie hordes surrounding the place.  And they've managed to dig their way up through the basement.  Things finally come to a head when a 15 foot tall zombie shows up and starts pounding on the gates with a gigantic hammer.  He is so cool! 

Our dwindling group of survivors finally makes their way to the nearby ship, and the conclusion is pretty cool.  Though it does involve so much bullet-time and slo-mo Kung Fu that...oh whatever.  I had grown numb to it by that time anyway.  Overall it was a pretty good movie.  The characters were well done, the plot kept me interested, and there was certainly enough action for two or three moves.  4.25/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3230 on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »

SONGS FROM THE SECOND FLOOR (2000): A series of carefully woven absurdist and magical realist sketches set in a nameless modern Swedish city where flagellants parade down the street, no one can explain why there's a traffic jam, a desperate church and government endorse pagan sacrifices, and a man sees ghosts.  Slow, sad, intricate, strange, hypnotic.  If you saw Anderssen's later film YOU, THE LIVING, this is essentially the same idea.  Too slow for many, but there are some wonderfully rewarding scenes if you can stick with it; the ending, where the main character stands by a huge mound of discarded crucifixes and sees a slowly advancing crowd of ghosts, sticks with you.  4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3231 on: January 28, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »

Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous (1977) - I didn't know anything about Thin Lizzy except "The Boys are Back IN Town" and that they had 2 guitars and a singing bass player like Slayer.  My overall impression is that they are a classic rock band whose songs are less drawn out and punchier than alot of those groups, but not as wild and fast as Motorhead or something. about 45 minute long, I liked some better than other, all in all a good show.  3.75 /5
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3232 on: January 28, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »

Don't Make Waves (1967): Carlo Cofield (Tony Curtis) finds himself down and out and suddenly thrust into a beach paradise after unexpectedly running across an Italian mistress (Claudia Cardinale) but quickly devises a way to turn things around for himself and soon focuses on winning a blonde booblehead skydiver goddess named Malibu (Sharon Tate) despite her muscular surfer boyfriend.

This was rather enjoyable fluff, entertaining enough but not particularly believable in many respects, very much an escapist fantasy featuring lots of beautiful girls, beaches and a scheming lead who uses his wits to try and get a taste of it all. I really thought it might go the romantic comedy route with Cardinale but alas it sticks to being a rather superficial beach movie for most of its running time. Not bad but not particularly memorable either. Has some fascination as it stars the late Tate in a supporting role. **1/2 out of *****

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
claws
« Reply #3233 on: January 28, 2011, 11:46:48 PM »

The Shining (1980) Blu-ray

I always try to watch this once a year during winter. This classic makes for a great viewing on Blu-ray. Very film-like, excellent detail and colors that pop. You haven't experienced true HD until you have seen that wave of blood coming out the elevator. Or every fine detail of fabric on Shelley Duvall's funky clothing  TeddyR 5/5
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3234 on: January 29, 2011, 12:09:36 AM »

The Day the Earth stood Still (2008)

3.5/5

Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS (1975)

4/5

Dinosaur Valley Girls (1996)

2.5/5

Chopper Chicks in Zombietown (1985)

3/5

The Haunting (1963)

3/5 (kinda disappointed with this one)

Oh my word.

What does it say that a 2008 remake of one of the truly greatest sci fi flicks of all time rates worse than ILSA and just beats out CHOPPER CHICKS IN ZOMBIE TOWN?

Hollywood...STOP IT!  Leave the CLASSICS alone, already!

I think I am going to cry. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3235 on: January 29, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »

The Terror Within (1989) - Some people in a post-apocalyptic world are living in an underground bunker.  They send out scouting parties occasionally, and happen across a survivor that they bring back to their bunker.  And she happens to be pregnant - with a monster!  This is very much an Alien ripoff, and Alien ripoffs are some of my favorite movies of all time, but this thing is just mediocre all the way.  It seemed to exist in that limbo between good and bad movies - not good enough to be good, but not cheesy and entertaining enough to be a good bad movie either.  The characters were rather superficial, the plot was too predictable, the action scenes were rather dull, and there wasn't nearly enough eye candy.  2.75/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3236 on: January 29, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »

The Day the Earth stood Still (2008)

3.5/5

Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS (1975)

4/5

Dinosaur Valley Girls (1996)

2.5/5

Chopper Chicks in Zombietown (1985)

3/5

The Haunting (1963)

3/5 (kinda disappointed with this one)

Oh my word.

What does it say that a 2008 remake of one of the truly greatest sci fi flicks of all time rates worse than ILSA and just beats out CHOPPER CHICKS IN ZOMBIE TOWN?

Hollywood...STOP IT!  Leave the CLASSICS alone, already!

I think I am going to cry. 

In my defence, I had low expectations for TDTESS and high expectations for 'The Haunting'.

Simply put, the remake exceeded them especially because iof the bad reviews I was expecting something awful, but with the fantastic reviews the Haunting I was expecting something fantastic. Keanu Reeve's is really good as a distant, alien being. Its suits his acting perfectly. I also liked that is was just humans being destroyed and not the whole planet. The whole 'government is evil' thing I thought was the easy route though. Still, its a lot better than its reputation.

I didn't find the Haunting as scary as 'The Innocents' or 'Carnival of Souls'. Its pretty much loud noises and people looking scared. Certainly not a bad film but I did find TDTESS more entertaining and fun. Anyway...

Dirty Harry (1971)

3.5/5

Magnum Force (1973)

4/5

The Enforcer (1976)

3.5/5

Sudden Impact (1983)

3/5 (I had some moral problems with this especially after I saw Magnum Force)

The Dead Pool (1988)

4/5

The Warriors (1979) -  LOVED IT !

4.5/5

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3237 on: January 29, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »

Doggett, with regards to The Haunting, I think you underestimate it...after all, imagine the force behind what happens in the movie and just how powerful it would have to be to do all it does there...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3238 on: January 29, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »

Doggett, with regards to The Haunting, I think you underestimate it...after all, imagine the force behind what happens in the movie and just how powerful it would have to be to do all it does there...

Fair enough.
Still don't find it that scary as an adult. As a child I had to turn it off as it got too frightening.

I just don't get creeped out. The only parts I found frightening were the moments with the profs wife appearing in the attic opening and when you see her run quickly past Elenaor's car at the end.

The Innocents, now thats an old b/w horror that chills me to the bone...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3239 on: January 29, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

MST3K: SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS: Great episode.  Everyone here probably knows the plot of the movie already; if not, the title pretty much tells all.  It makes for great riffing material, and the host segments are top notch (including the new Christmas carol "A Patrick Swayze Christmas.")  4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.