Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:51:18 PM
715373 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7759 Members
Latest Member: Daniel Kay
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  views: Blade II, Evolution, From Hell... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: views: Blade II, Evolution, From Hell...  (Read 1736 times)
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 18, 2002, 03:10:18 PM »

caught up on some more flicks...

BLADE II - 2002 (R). (DVD) Directed by Guillermo del Torro. Wesley Snipes again efficiently stars as Blade, the half-man half-vampire "daywalker." He's hired to eradicate troublesome mutants when the Reaper Strain, a new mutation of the vampirism-inducing infection, creates competition for the Vampire Nation. It ain't easy; they're immune to silver and garlic, have hearts encased in bone, and have one hell of of an underbite. Some cool new ninja-type characters are briefly introduced but, unfortunately, this flick drags due to a ho hum script. After watching the same kung-fu moves for the umpteenth time, you'll be more than ready for the end when it finally rolls around like a severed head. Hopefully, if there is a third installment, the fat will be trimmed and the story will be worthy of Snipes' cool character. NOT RECOMMENDED.

EVOLUTION - 2001 (PG-13). (DVD) Directed by Ivan Reitman. David Deuchovny, 7-Up spokesman Orlando Jones and Julianne Moore act as scientists combating a colorful pluthra of alien life. Spawned from a meteor crash, the extraterrestrial life forms quickly overtake suburban Arizona in the forms of intergallactic flatworms, space alligators, mutant pterodactyls, blue razor-toothed monkeys, and more. Basically, this is an old school alien infestation flick with new and oh-so-nifty computer effects. It's all very similar to Reitman's 80s hit "Ghostbusters." WARNING: this flick contains the largest flatulent orifice gag to end all large flatulent orifice gags. Sorta RECOMMENDED---a little long and not stunning, but it is an entertaining addition to a classic genre.

FROM HELL - 2001 (R). (DVD) Directed by Albert and Allen Hughes. Johnny Depp stars as the opium-smoking Inspector Abberline, a psychic on the trail of the Jack the Ripper. Clues and Abberline's mysterious drug-aided visions lead him along a bloody trail twisting from the brothels of london to the mysterious freemason underground. This film, based on a story co-written by comic master Alan Moore, has beautiful cinematography, dark atmosphere, and impressive performances all around. RECOMMENDED.

-mr. henry

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 04:09:15 PM »

BLADE II - I was greatly impressed with BLADE II.  Made me a great admirer of Guillermo del Toro, who also directed the excellent DEVIL'S BACKBONE.  I liked it better than the first.  Incredibly gory, over-the-top fight scenes and, hey, pathos.  The only thing I didn't really liked is where Blade broke from his unrelentingly grim persona and seemed to be having fun.

I'm hoping del Toro's HELLBOY turns out good enough to be worthy of the comic.

EVOLUTION - Fun film to watch.  I don't feel the need to ever see it again.

FROM HELL - Bit of a disappointment, but only because I was coming off the mammoth graphic novel.  Much of the conspiracy and bizarre theories on occult architecture were cut to make the movie into a mystery.  Recommended if you haven't read the book.  Sort of recommended if you have, for comparison's sake.

The book, highly recommended.  Definitely not for everybody though.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 06:04:16 PM »

Evolution---- "No, no government types. Trust me, i know these people."  Its no "Tremors", but its a good pizza and beer flick.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 06:45:28 PM »

I hated From Hell.  Murder by Decree (i.e. Sherlock Holmes goes after the Ripper) was the best Jack the Ripper movie.  I thought From Hell's slanderous assertion that Queen Victoria was in on the Ripper murders was another example of Hollywood's tiresome assault on all things British.  And as much as I like watching her, Heather Graham sucks as an actress (which I suppose is why she keeps getting parts, ba-dum-bump!).

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 09:11:49 PM »

Blade II- Better than the first. A movie this horror-action cool was a mainstream blockbuster? Wha-wha-what??!!

Evolution- I'm still waiting for it to get interesting.

From Hell- Great design and cinematography, worth watching for style alone. Who gives a crap about Queen Victoria or any monarchy? Slander them to hell, I say. Maybe someday the Brits will realize how much of a waste these jobless, in-bred nittyhammers are and finally overthrow them.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 10:07:33 PM »

Slander them to hell, I say. Maybe someday the Brits will realize how much of a waste these jobless, in-bred nittyhammers are and finally overthrow them.
*****  Hey, I'm no fan of royalty either... I just think it's pretty weak to accuse someone of complicity in murder (brutal murder) wih no evidence whatsoever just because you think they're a nittyhammer.  The mystery surrounding the case and the legitimate suspects (one of whom was Prince Edward by the way) were interesting enough without trying to make some political statement about brutality and antisemitism aimed at a queen who can be considered one of the less egregious monarchs history has seen.  Victoria was an active abolitionist for one thing - and she saw to it that the slave trade in East Africa was kept on the run while England influenced that part of the world.  She also made sure English assistance to the Confederacy was kept at a minimum.  That has to earn her some points, doesn't it??

Dano
Evan3
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 10:39:03 PM »

I must say, Blade and Blade 2 are great. The bad guys in Blade 2 are really fascinating  but no one is better than Deacon Frost  the villain from Blade. As far as I can tell it is Stephen Dorff's only decent role. And Wesley Snipes turns in a good performance too. Although Blade 2 does drag, the special effects are good and it is more interesting than most movies. Plus it is based on a Marvel comic as well, what more do u want?

Evolution I thought was a little zany. It is fun once, but never again. How can you not like Orlando Jones???

From Hell I thought was an interesting theory. The theory of Jack that they propose is much better than the movie. What is wrong with government cover ups, it happens all of the time, and it is plausible that the queen hasd the power for such a mass cover up.
Funk, E.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2002, 12:46:32 AM »

Blade II - It had that damned Matrix bullet FX in it. I liked it casually, but it really lacked real flow and I really didn't like the Reapers I thought they were a lame concept.

Evolution - I enjoyed. It was fun in the 8 legged freaks vain.

From Hell - If you don't give a flying f**k about the actualities of the case it was an interesting movie though there is no way in hell a known opium addict would not be on the police force for long.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2002, 06:13:51 PM »

From Hell - If you don't give a flying f**k about the actualities of the case it was an interesting movie though there is no way in hell a known opium addict would not be on the police force for long.
*****  Maybe that was my problem.  I find the case really interesting and have learned a lot about it.  

I really enjoyed both Blade movies because I wasn't expecting much with the first one and was expecting less with the second.  Fun movies.

Dano
Funk, E.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2002, 06:22:25 PM »

Yeah, it was especially annoying because they (the movie and the Graphic Novel) both kept to a lot of facts. The location of the murders, the particulars of each victim state of mutilation. The erasure of the writing on the wall. The name of and some of the decissions of the lead investigator.

So you've got half the movie following the facts fairly closely and half of it off in deep space. Which is fun. I personally take the facts as I know them on various issues and then rampently speculate to see what sort of story I can tell around them. So from the author's POV I can understand the fun they're having, but playing fast and loose with a historical event is going to alienate the avid historian.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  views: Blade II, Evolution, From Hell... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.