Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:54:22 PM
714700 Posts in 53102 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Go out in a more ecofriendly way! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Go out in a more ecofriendly way!  (Read 9398 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »

When I go, I want the same thing as my Dad had: family and friends around having a party on me.

You do mean at your expense, right?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »

Coffins are an unconscionable scam.  The highest priced item you will ever be forced to purchase that serves no useful function. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32:55 PM »

There's an artist not far from here who has spent the last couple of decades covering his substantial piece of land with huge concrete sculptures. I interviewed him a few years ago about an item on his website where he offered to take a person's ashes and mix them into the concrete for one of his gigantic monoliths - for the nominal fee of $10,000. It was kind of a tongue-in-cheek statement about the high cost of funerals, but he said if anyone was willing to pay, he'd certainly do it. As far as I know, he's had no takers, but he did get some inquiries from people who just wanted to know if he was serious. The headline of my story was about Peter Camani's "monumental undertaking."

Here's the picture that went with it:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:12:04 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 01:42:18 AM »

When I go, I want the same thing as my Dad had: family and friends around having a party on me.

You do mean at your expense, right?

Yes, that is what Dad did and what I want: he left some money for it and so will I.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »

i will donate my body, though  Buggedout

yeah no.
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »

Just dig a hole, shove my body in and call it good! I don't need no damn elaborate funeral either. I just want a big wake and a lot of people having a good time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:01:53 AM by flackbait » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wicker is just wood.  How would this be any better than a pine box?  I suppose it would decompose more quickly, but I don't think that would matter unless you were planning on digging your loved one up in in a few months.  Which I find...odd.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:23:32 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »

shoot me into space.  My body won't clutter up the world PLUS I will be frozen and preserved forever.

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 12:42:23 AM »

I want to be buried in an above ground, marble mausoleum . . . . in a long black cape.  Then I shall rise in the night and haunt the dreams of pale-skinned English girls wearing low cut gowns . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 08:49:20 AM »

Just dig a whole, shove my body in and call it good! I don't need no damn elaborate funeral either. I just want a big wake and a lot of people having a good time.
Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wicker is just wood.  How would this be any better than a pine box?  I suppose it would decompose more quickly, but I don't think that would matter unless you were planning on digging your loved one up in in a few months.  Which I find...odd.
I was thinking about that too.  It seems to me that where the 'eco-friendly' comes in is more in the production of the box than in what happens to it underground.  Most burials are at depth that does not give surface plants etc access to the remains, and presumably is safe for the local groundwater.  So contamination of the environment by the burial should be at a minimum.

Should it be assumed that anyone planning to be 'green' after death will eschew enbalming as well?  I would think that would involve more chemicals being introduced to the environment than the casket will.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »

My funeral will involve watching every dvd i own, Then a 32 hour prayer session and then another one bites the dust will be played

BTM

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 02:21:15 AM »

Just dig a whole, shove my body in and call it good!

Er... but you want them to COVER the hole afterwords, right?  Otherwise it might get a little ripe in that neighborhood after a few days...

TeddyR
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:55:14 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 08:06:19 AM »

Most burials are at depth that does not give surface plants etc access to the remains,

I remember hearing on the radio about an eco-friendly burial option that took the opposite approach. Get buried in a more shallow grave, and let the plants get at you. Keeps your nutrients from going to waste, and preserves the whole "circle of life" thing. Can't argue with it for practicality, I suppose.
http://www.greenlaneburialfield.co.uk/index.htm
This place maintains a nature preserve, but I vaguely remember another place where actual crops get planted on top of the residents. Again, can't argue with the practicality, but it might be a bit too "Secret Window" for my liking.

Myself, I'd like to go for a less eco-friendly funeral, but nobody does atmospheric nuclear tests anymore. TeddyR

---------------------
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »

Just dig a whole, shove my body in and call it good!

Er... but you want them to COVER the whole afterwords, right?  Otherwise it might get a little ripe in that neighborhood after a few days...

TeddyR

Hey its their choice! But it might kinda suck when I start attracting animals!  Bluesad

In all seriousness, thats a good point I don't really want to be stinking up the place!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Go out in a more ecofriendly way! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.